AKL Savannah or POR before DVC....

WDWorld2003

DIS Veteran
We will be staying at BWV in a 2 bdrm standard during Easter Break using all of our points for 6 nights and we don't want to borrow points.

I made reservations for POR for our first two nights. We've stayed there before and loved it. However, I can get an AKL Savannah view for $206 + tax. It would be $100 more per night. Is it worth it? Thanks for any advice.:D

Go with the Savannah view room!! You will love it...

There's nothing like eating eggs and bacon from your room balcony while watching giraffes chase the food trucks.. :p

If you have the extra $100, then I'd go ahead and do the AKL...but budget for a meal at either Boma or Jiko too, while you're there. One night savannah view at AKL seriously had me wishing I could stay longer though....its a great place! I'll admit you're making me a bit jealous as our original plan for Dec. was to spend a couple nights at AKL after our DVC stay...but since my dh changed jobs and we had to replace one of our cars its not in the budget now. :(

POR is also wonderful....so if you are a little tight in the budget and don't need the little bit of extra room at AKL its a great option.

Or try somewhere else you have not tried before....I really like all of the moderate resorts!

I'm actually planning on doing the same thing next October when I come. I want to do two rooms AKL savannah view for me, my sister and her family and then move over to DVC. It'll be 3 nights AKL and then 5 nights DVC.

I keep moaning about the long walk to the rooms at the end of the Savannah but honestly they are really the longest corridor I have ever seen. Try and get a room half way round if you can.

AKL has lots of kids activities. Mine did Medallion rubbings on the hugs coins on the lobby floor, decorating cookies,and story telling round the fire pit. Take plenty of bug spray.

POR River boat goes all the way down to DTD, and you can then get a boat from DTD back to SSR or OKW if you would want to. Need to swap boats. We spent many days floating round the various water canals!

Bomas was lovely and the thing I like about Disney hotels is you can get a cheap take out meal and refillable cup ( in Maya) if you want to. I had a lovely African stew from Maya at about $7.00.

I would go with AKL but I cannot over emphasise that walk! I am quite a fit person as well, but the floor goes from floor 2 to floor 3 in the same corridor up a gradual gradient so its even harder to go back to the room!!

Also there are very slight animal smells, but that is nature

Denise

We loved our Savannah view room! Check the AP rates for AKL if you have an AP, because I think they had a good price going right now. I would chose AKL over POR every time!

Is that walk at AKL any longer than the walk to the last room at BWV? We had the last room at BWV but it as a Boardwalk view so how can you complain? :earsgirl: It seemed like it took forever to get there, though. If the walk is longer than that...... hmmmmmm..... but I am leaning toward AKL. Just wondering if our teens girls would like it - they are 14 & 17.

One other ? - are the balconies at AKL big enough for all of us to sit out on and watch the animals?

AKL Savannah! The walk is long but we didn't mind. The balconies are large enough to sit outside and view the animals. My DD sat out there practically the whole time we were in the room with Binoculars (BRING BINOCS!) and the sheet they give you with all the animals in the Savannahs. It was a nice change from her glued to the TV.

We stayed at the AKL in a concierge Savanah view room for our honeymoon and it was fabulous. I can not say enough good things about the theming throughout the resort. And if you have time the pool is not to be missed.

Go to the AKL, and the days you are there spend that time at Animal Kingdom park. And eat some good food at Jiko.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter