• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AKL split stay with OKW or POP

Robmiller85

Earning My Ears
Hi I’m looking for some advice on a possible 2 weeks spilt stay at AKL and either OKW or POP.

We are a family of 4. 2 adults 2 kids aged 2 and 5. I’ve heard about the long walks at both AKL and OKW but is this enough to put off staying at one of these resorts? We’re considering POP for this reason as we would like to do rope drops and have access to the sky liner.

Also will Disney move your luggage in between stays? If splitting?

Thanks in advance

I love your split stay idea. Two weeks at WDW! That sounds fantastic to me.

So, first off, yes, Disney will move your luggage for you.

Second, AKL is my favorite resort so my opinion is probably biased, but the long corridors at AKL don't bother me at all. And you wouldn't necessarily be at or near the end of one anyway. I wouldn't let this put me off staying there.

As for OKW, I have never stayed there but it's a beautiful resort. However, keep in mind that many of the buildings don't have elevators (stairs only), so that could be a struggle with your two young kids, since I imagine you probably have a stroller.

Whatever resort you choose for your split stay, stay at AKL second. Save the best for last. And if you can swing a savanna-view room, it's amazing. If not--they're expensive these days--consider a pool-view room. Yes, you can end up with a partial savanna view in a standard room, but you can also end up with no view from a standard room. Nevertheless, AKL is fantastic and you will love it there no matter what kind of room you get.

And 2 weeks at Disney!!! I want to do that too!!

At OKW, you use the buses to get back to the main building rather than walking (unless you happen to be staying near the main building). Our nearest bus station wasn't far away when I've stayed, so it wasn't a big deal. Beautiful resort and rather quiet/peaceful.

Pop has some buildings closer to the main building, and those aren't bad to walk from. We stayed in one of the 60s buildings which was nice (paid for a Preferred room to get a closer location). However, the farther out buildings have a much longer walk.

AKL is really nice. Jambo has a lesser chance of getting a long walk than Kidani, so I would vote for Jambo if you stay here. That said, the walk are pleasant - there are windows to look out of during your walk and lots of cultural items to look at on the walls. As opposed to say, Boardwalk, which has no windows in the hallways and no artwork to look at... that is a very unpleasant walk if you get a room at the far end of the building.

---
In the end, I don't think you can go wrong with any of those three. With two weeks, you'll want to choose resorts that are relaxing to stay at. Pop is nice for the skyliner and its park access but is noisier and less relaxing than OKW and AKL.

OKW is gorgeous and has a wonderful tropical vibe. Villas are huge. Request to be at Turtle Pond area which has a quiet pool, grills, snack bar (hours?) and a bus stop. Can't beat it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter