AKL VS WL Questions???

mep319

<font color=green>Go EAGLES! Go FLYERS!<br><font c
We are returning to WDW in January. We stayed at WL in August and loved it. I'd like to try AKL but my husband is leaning towards WL (he is a creature of habit)........any advice to those who stayed at both? Which one is better? IF we do AKL do you think we have a good chance to be upgraded if we go with a standard view (we are going the end of January)? Or should we just pay for it? I'm sure my 6yr old would love the view. Thanks in advance for the input!

I would like to know also.
We have stayed at WL twice and I love it and I am afraid to try something else, but if I did it would AKL.

DH and I stayed at WL (the year it opened- 1994) for our tenth anniversary. It was our first stay at a WDW resort, and we absolutely loved it!

We finally had a chance to go back with the whole family in Jan.'02. Our first inclination was to go back to WL. But, after changing our minds a few times ;) , we ended up doing a split stay at the Poly and AKL. We were really glad we gave AKL a try. It is a beautiful resort, and very different in theme.

So...I would suggest giving AKL a try. It's nice to try something new.

Good luck with your decision!

I have stayed twice at WL once in a regular room on the top floor and once in a Jr. Suite. I really like it there. The Lobby is awesome and the gronds and theme are superb. We stayed at the AKL a few weeks after it opened and loved that alot. It has a slightly similar feel to it as the WL. The Lobby is pretty awesome but the WL is still more impressive however the room decore is much more pleasing at AKL and you have the animals to see. The feeling when driving up to the resort is also similar to how you feel as you round the corner toward the WL. The AKL is not so emense looking as you approach but it is exotic feeling. I personally would never stay at the AKL without a Savannah view. Alot of people have stayed in the standard or pool view rooms and said it was okay though. I really like coming back (early alot of the time) from the park and relaxing on the balcony or having coffee in the morning watching the animals awaken.

We split a stay between AKL and WL in May and without a doubt will be going back to AKL. It was amazing, the atmosphere was wonderful. We liked the WL but it didn't have the same feel as AKL, we wished that we could have stayed at AKL the whole time. They are both beautiful resorts, whichever you chose you will have a wonderful time!!!!

with Kerrynic78, we did 4 nights at the WL Concierge and 4 night AKL Savannah. And although the rooms were better at the WL, IMHO almost everything else was better at the AKL.

Upside WL: Location, close to parks, the decor, great food! Boating!
Upside AKL: AKL People, Much more activities, Animals, exotic food! The Pool.

Downside WL: MK transport, High beds
Downside AKL: Isolated, lengthy drive to most places.

I am returning Aug 2003 and although courtyard view WL is my first choice, I will go AKL Savannah if a good rate comes out around that time. I have three adults and three kids who I think will appreciate the AKL more!

My kids called AKL--African Wilderness Lodge. They have a very similar feel.

I would stay at AKL for something different. We paid for a savannah view. It's not that much more expensive and I wouldn't stay at AKL if I couldn't see the animals.

We really did spend a lot of time looking at the animals from our balcony.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter