Alabama Basketball-From Dream Season To Total Nightmare

WEDWDW

DIS Veteran
Alabama Basketball is having their best Season ever-they are currently the Number 1 overall Seed for the Tournament in March per the Selection Committee and their star Freshman Brandon Miller is arguably the best Player in the Country.

But a pall is now over this team and will remain there.

For anyone not up to speed on the story,the below article lays it out.

Some are now calling for Nate Oats to resign.

I am sure that Nick Saban will be asked about the situation at some point-will be very interesting to hear his response.

Nate Oats, Alabama Offer Little in Wake of Murder Investigation
The school’s withholding of information and its men’s hoops coach’s dismissive statements have only served to worsen a tragic incident.

The more we hear about the capital murder case involving former Alabama men’s basketball player Darius Miles, the worse it gets for the Crimson Tide. The more coach Nate Oats speaks, the more dishonest and dismissive he sounds. The more information is made public, the more it’s clear that the school didn’t give a full accounting of a tragic situation.
This was the new information from a hearing Tuesday pertaining to a fatal shooting on Jan. 15, according to AL.com: Police testified that Miles’s teammate, freshman Brandon Miller—one of the five best players in college basketball—delivered the murder weapon to Miles at Miles’s request. Miles then told his friend, alleged trigger man Michael Davis, where the gun was located.

Davis and Miles are charged with murder in the killing of Jamea Jonae Harris, who was in a car with her boyfriend, Cedric Johnson, in downtown Tuscaloosa. Davis allegedly started shooting after a verbal confrontation, and Johnson returned fire. Attorneys for Miles and Davis have said their clients acted in self-defense.
AL.com says police also testified that Miller’s car and that of another teammate, Jaden Bradley, were blocking the road where the victim’s car was parked, and that Miller’s car was struck by two bullets. Whether those cars were intentionally blocking the road before shots were fired is unclear.

Miller has not been charged. When asked why not, Tuscaloosa deputy district attorney Paula Whitley told AL.com, “That’s not a question I can answer. There’s nothing we can charge him with.”
Oats took the exoneration of Miller several steps further, declaring that his involvement was nothing more than being in the “wrong spot at the wrong time.” That statement is an insult to everyone’s intelligence, if indeed Oats understood what had been said Tuesday in court. It’s a gross mischaracterization of a tragic situation that Miller materially helped escalate by allegedly delivering the murder weapon to the scene of the crime. Quite frankly, with Davis allegedly firing eight shots and Johnson returning fire near a busy campus bar area, it's extremely fortunate that this didn't turn into a mass murder.

“Wrong place at the wrong time” would be walking out of a bar unwittingly into the crossfire of the shooting. That’s not what this is. Responding to a text asking for a weapon by bringing it to a teammate is wrong act at the wrong time—a criminally wrong act, some prosecutors (other than Whitley) might contend.

“Can’t control everything anybody does outside of practice,” Oats also said Tuesday. “Nobody knew that was going to happen. College kids are out, Brandon hasn’t been in any type of trouble nor is he in any type of trouble in this case.”
College coaches famously do their best to control (or at least be aware of) almost every aspect of their players’ lives outside of practice. Coaches want to know what they eat, so they feed them at the facility or at a training table. They want to know what classes they take, and often require that they build their academic schedule around the practice schedule. They want to know who they hang out with, and where, and when, and why.

Until something goes very wrong. Then, shrugs. Can’t control everything. Let the star player play.

Alabama coach Nate Oats talks to forward Brandon Miller vs. Jackson State.

its a mess. He wouldn’t be the first athlete to get off without criminal charges because he is a good player.
No doubt and it looks like he will not be punished by the University of Alabama in any way either.

He is scheduled to play in their game at South Carolina tonight.

I just don't understand why he is not liable for taking the gun that was used in the murder to the scene of the murder.

Miles texted Miller and told him to bring the gun because someone was threatening him.

It seems Miller should be held accountable in some way for not refusing to bring the gun and for not telling Miles to just leave the scene and go home-if he does that,there is no murder of a 23 year old Mother.

No doubt and it looks like he will not be punished by the University of Alabama in any way either.

I just don't understand why he is not liable for taking the gun that was used in the murder to the scene of the murder.

Miles texted Miller and told him to bring the gun because someone was threatening him.

It seems Miller should be held accountable in some way for not refusing to bring the gun and for not telling Miles to just leave the scene and go home-if he does that,there is no murder of a 23 year old Mother.
Wow! I agree, how is that not 'conspiracy to commit murder' or something similar??

Brandon Miller did start and play the whole game last night at South Carolina.

The Student Section booed him constantly.

He scored 41 Points and hit the winning shot in Overtime.

Alabama would not have won the game without him.

University of Alabama officials continue their stance that Brandon Miller has done nothing wrong and will receive no punishment from the University.

So the Dream Season continues for Alabama.

Meanwhile a Five years old little boy sits in Birmingham,Alabama never to see his Mother again.

Not that I have been following this too closely but I also heard that Miles texted Miller just to come pick him up. Miller having no idea the gun was in the car. Whether that is true or not remains to be seen.

@WEDWDW , where did you get that story/opinion piece from? I see where you linked AL.com and SI.com articles, but that's not where this kind of stuff came from:

That statement is an insult to everyone’s intelligence, if indeed Oats understood what had been said Tuesday in court. It’s a gross mischaracterization of a tragic situation that Miller materially helped escalate by allegedly delivering the murder weapon to the scene of the crime. Quite frankly, with Davis allegedly firing eight shots and Johnson returning fire near a busy campus bar area, it's extremely fortunate that this didn't turn into a mass murder.

Who wrote that? I'm confused. When I click on the articles you linked, I see information like:

Asked by AL.com why Miller was not charged, Tuscaloosa chief deputy D.A. Paula Whitley said, “That’s not a question I can answer. There’s nothing we could charge him with,’’ according to the law, she said.

Legal experts told AL.com the decision whether or not to charge Miller comes down to knowledge and intent.

“Based on what we know, the declination by the Tuscaloosa D.A. is correct and Miller should not be charged,’’ said Jay Town, a former U.S. Attorney and prosecutor in Madison County.

“It doesn’t appear evidence exists that Miller knew that transferring the firearm was for an unlawful purpose, hindsight notwithstanding,” Town added.

“You can’t just run a can opener around someone’s head and look in there and find intent,’’ said Tommy Spina, a longtime defense attorney.

“Apparently, there wasn’t enough evidence to establish that Miller had the specific intent to participate in an act resulting in a death,” he added.

“Bad judgment and poor choices,’’ Spina said, “do not always add up to the commission of a crime.”

Not that I have been following this too closely but I also heard that Miles texted Miller just to come pick him up. Miller having no idea the gun was in the car. Whether that is true or not remains to be seen.
This is the text Miles sent to Miller.

‘I need my joint a n****r rl jus got a fakin.'

(The N-Word has been redacted.)

"Translated" Miles is telling Miller to bring his Gun because he is feeling threatened by someone.

So,at that point Miller could have responded by texting back with:

"I can't do that-you have been drinking and you are angry,bringing the Gun can not result in anything good.Leave the area-I am dropping off the Gun at the apartment and then I will come pick you up.I care too much about you to let you throw your life away."

If he had done that Jamea Harris would not be dead and Darius Miles would not be sitting in a jail cell.

Miller may not be criminally liable,but how can he not be considered morally liable?

Since it's looking like nothing legally will be done, I'm hoping that the woman's family at least files a civil suit against him and can win a judgement against his (likely huge) future NBA earnings. That seems to be about the "best" justice anyone will get in this case.

Until the guy is at least arrested/charged, and you can even make an argument they should wait until a conviction, I don't see a good reason to kick him off the team.
Exactly… it’s up to the police to build the case against him. Oats shouldn’t judge him until something concrete is established …it sounds like he could/should be charged with something but until then he’s free. If I got a gun for a friend that ended up a murder weapon, and told my boss I had no idea “the plan” I’m pretty sure my company isn’t going to tell me to stay home. If I get charged that’s a different story.

Alabama's Student paper has a great report on the Preliminary Hearing.

https://thecrimsonwhite.com/108286/...ng-emerge-miles-attorneys-argue-self-defense/

In a terrible "look" for Alabama,although Brandon Miller had the best game of his Career and scored the winning Basket in the game with South Carolina,the Alabama Basketball twitter account showed many highlights of other players but NONE of his!

I thought they were "cool" with letting Brandon play-could Alabama be handling this situation any worse?

Alabama's Student paper has a great report on the Preliminary Hearing.

https://thecrimsonwhite.com/108286/...ng-emerge-miles-attorneys-argue-self-defense/

In a terrible "look" for Alabama,although Brandon Miller had the best game of his Career and scored the winning Basket in the game with South Carolina,the Alabama Basketball twitter account showed many highlights of other players but NONE of his!

I thought they were "cool" with letting Brandon play-could Alabama be handling this situation any worse?
I guess they’re taking the “don’t pour gasoline on a campfire“ route! Probably for the best…

I guess they’re taking the “don’t pour gasoline on a campfire“ route! Probably for the best…
Well looks like they did pour some gas on the fire yesterday!

They continued their regular game intro where Brandon Miller is "patted down" by a teammate!!!!

And ABSOLUTEY no one at Alabama thought this might be a bad look considering the current situation?

You have got to be kidding me!

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...ndon-miller-pat-down/jlmbnyeahokffzqhbqtqi19l

• Wow
Reactions: GAN
Well, doesn’t Alabama prioritize athletics over academics or trivial legalities like a player giving a gun to another?

Well, doesn’t Alabama prioritize athletics over academics or trivial legalities like a player giving a gun to another?
Sure looks like it.

Alabama won the SEC Regular Season Championship last night with a victory in overtime against Auburn.

The venue was packed,the atmosphere electric,the nets were cut down,the Championship shirts distributed and the Party went deep into the night.

At least by their actions,it appears Alabama and its Fans could not care less about the Murder of Jamea Harris.

The only thing that matters to them seemingly is seeing how much fun they can have with their generational Basketball Team.

The Media that covers NCAA Basketball is starting to "move on" to a degree as well and talk as little as they possibly can about the Murder-the Broadcast Team last night touched on it as little as possible..

It seems that no one wants their beloved March Madness "tarnished"-they want a unencumbered PARTY!

I just wonder if Bama Nation would have moved on so quickly and be partying so mightily if the Murder victim had been an Alabama Sorority girl,a daughter or granddaughter of an Alabama Trustee or the daughter of Nate Oates or Nick Saban instead of a "nobody" 23 year old single Mother working nights at the Amazon warehouse?

Sure looks like it.

Alabama won the SEC Regular Season Championship last night with a victory in overtime against Auburn.

The venue was packed,the atmosphere electric,the nets were cut down,the Championship shirts distributed and the Party went deep into the night.

At least by their actions,it appears Alabama and its Fans could not care less about the Murder of Jamea Harris.

The only thing that matters to them seemingly is seeing how much fun they can have with their generational Basketball Team.

The Media that covers NCAA Basketball is starting to "move on" to a degree as well and talk as little as they possibly can about the Murder-the Broadcast Team last night touched on it as little as possible..

It seems that no one wants their beloved March Madness "tarnished"-they want a unencumbered PARTY!

I just wonder if Bama Nation would have moved on so quickly and be partying so mightily if the Murder victim had been an Alabama Sorority girl,a daughter or granddaughter of an Alabama Trustee or the daughter of Nate Oates or Nick Saban instead of a "nobody" 23 year old single Mother working nights at the Amazon warehouse?
No doubt it’s a terrible story, but are they supposed to stop playing? The two players involved are up for Capital Murder charges, Miller was involved because one of those two left the gun in the back seat of his car. If my friend left his gun in my car I’d give it back to him real quickly, so I can’t say I blame Miller for wanting to get it back to him. I think he’s saying he had no idea a murder was planned …if it was planned. Ray Lewis of the Ravens was directly involved in a murder and that never stopped anyone from cheering for him every Sunday -they even gave him a job on TV after his career!

At a minimum, Alabama should have suspended him while the did their own "investigation" . Doing nothing is not a good look. He would be long gone permanently at the school I support, no question.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter