Alamo or National?

Luvdisney

DIS Veteran
With discounts and codes. I can get a int. from either place for about the same price. Both quated 134.00 with taxes and fees for March 27 to 31. Which is easier to use? I am a Emerald Club member with National. Signed up a couple of years back then have never had the chance to use it. Which woud be quicker to get through? I've seen these counters with really long line before. With it being spring break and all, which do you think would be quicker and easier. How does the emerald Isle work? If I book an intermediate and go to the isle then pick a full size is it the same price?

First off, if you are an EA member, then you might as well book a Full size as it comes to the same price.

Second, if you are an EA member, you get to bypass the counter and head straight to a car and pick the one you want. Then drive to the booth and then your off. Same when you get back.

I was going with Alamo till I got a lower rate with National. National's EA is well worth the convenience!

Originally posted by Luvdisney
Thank You, Thank You!!! I just booked a Full Size for the same price. This is so cool!!!

You are welcome.

Now what I forgot to mention is you are GUARANTEED a Full size from the Full size Aisle. BUT you can also check out the Emerald Aisle and see if there is anything better there. Depending on when you go or arrive, there could just be Full sizes or if you are very lucky an SUV, minivan, PT Cruiser etc...but reports of people being that lucky are few and far between lately.

Good luck!

If there is something better like a PT Cruiser, would I still pay for just a full size or what ever the going rate is for the PT Cruiser?

If there is something better like a PT Cruiser, would I still pay for just a full size or what ever the going rate is for the PT Cruiser?

As long as you are a Emerald Club member and when you made your reservation "Emerald Aisle" was checked off, (which both are probably "YES") then yes, you can pick the PT Cruiser and still pay the Full size price!

That's what's so great about the Emerald Aisle!! You can pick from either the Full size Aisle or the Emerald Aisle depending on which has a better selection and they are right next to each other too.

I've had no luck yet, but there is a thread going "what have you seen lately on the EA" and a couple people report seeing the PT Cruiser, minivans and SUVs so let's keep our fingers crossed!

You can pick anything that is available on the Emerald Aisle. Whatever you pick off of the aisle you will be charged the same. By booking a full size, you are guaranteed that at a minimum. If there are no fullsize cars on the Emerald Aisle you can go to the full size Aisle and pick one off of there. It really is a nice system. It can get you in and out of the aiport pretty fast. So far, the last few times I used National and Emerald Aisle they only had full and intermediate size cars, but I was still happy that I got to pick my choice. I usually go for the Intrepid because it has such a huge trunk and lots of legroom in the back seat. Good luck.

What if you specifically reserve an SUV, then some other Emerald Aisle member comes along before you and takes the SUV that you've reserved? Could that happen? I am thinking about joining EA but I need a minivan or an SUV.

Originally posted by pnelson
What if you specifically reserve an SUV, then some other Emerald Aisle member comes along before you and takes the SUV that you've reserved? Could that happen? I am thinking about joining EA but I need a minivan or an SUV.

At National, there will be an SUV Aisle (and a minivan Aisle). You go to the SUV Aisle and pick which one you want. If they are all out, then they will probably offer you something similar like a minivan.

<<if you are an EA member, you get to bypass the counter and head straight to a car and pick the one you want. Then drive to the booth and then your off.>>

First of all. I am so thankful for the information on this board!

I have an intermediate reserved w/National on the EA program. I will change that ressie to a "full size" since it would be at the same rate anyway.

My question is, how do you bypass the counter? Don't you have paperwork to sign, or is that handled through the on-line reservation? How do you get the keys and just drive off? Hope these aren't stupid questions, but I've never done EA before.

Thanks for your help!
Nancy:earsgirl:

Originally posted by disney4me4ever
[B
My question is, how do you bypass the counter? Don't you have paperwork to sign, or is that handled through the on-line reservation? How do you get the keys and just drive off? Hope these aren't stupid questions, but I've never done EA before.

Thanks for your help!
Nancy:earsgirl: [/B]

If you are an Emerald Club member, then they should have all the info they need on file. The keys are in the cars. You head straight to the aisle size (full, suv, minivan etc...) you reserved, and pick your car, load it up and then head to the booth where they look at your license, Emerald Club card, CC and take your coupon. You sign and then you are off.

You cannot reserve a SUV on the Emerald Aisle, that rental would be either counter or choice. The only cars you can rent via the EA are: intermediate, standard or full size and, maybe compact.
If you are renting a car via the EA, you may as well go for the full size as it is the same price as the smaller cars.

I have an intermediate reserved w/National on the EA program. I will change that ressie to a "full size" since it would be at the same rate anyway.

Just and FYI, if you try to change your existing ressie it will bump you back to counter. First, make a new ressie for the full size, check the price and make sure it is the same price as your original ressie,if it is, book it, then, cancel the first ressie.

If you are an Emerald Club member, then they should have all the info they need on file. The keys are in the cars. You head straight to the aisle size (full, suv, minivan etc...) you reserved, and pick your car, load it up and then head to the booth where they look at your license, Emerald Club card, CC and take your coupon. You sign and then you are off.

Actually, you are only supposed to take the cars on the EA if you have rented using EA, the only exception is if they don't have what you want on the aisle. The aisle is for intermediate, full and standard size cars, and, maybe compact ( I simply don't remember that), anything "better" than that is a bonus. You cannot rent, vans, suvs, converts, luxury or premium using the EA, that is a counter or choice rental.

THanks beattyfamily and Gail for clarifying the EC/EA procedures. Gail, I always learn so much from your posts. You're really good at this car rental stuff!! When we have done Disney trips in the past, we've always just used Disney transportation, but now that we're DVC members, and don't feel we have to do the parks "commando style", we thought we'd rent a car and do things outside of Disney. I've really learned alot (and saved money) reading your posts.

Thanks again,
Nancy :earsgirl:

Originally posted by GAIL HAYDEN

Actually, you are only supposed to take the cars on the EA if you have rented using EA, the only exception is if they don't have what you want on the aisle. The aisle is for intermediate, full and standard size cars, and, maybe compact ( I simply don't remember that), anything "better" than that is a bonus. You cannot rent, vans, suvs, converts, luxury or premium using the EA, that is a counter or choice rental.

I was explaining Emerald Club, not really the Emerald Aisle. I thought if you belonged to the Emerald Club and had chosen Emerald Choice you could just head to the appropriate aisle, and THEN, if you have EA because you rented a Full Size or smaller, you can head over to the EA and see what they have too...

I think I just need to make my posts clearer...thanks.

Nancy,
I am so glad I could help!!!! I hear what you are saying about not doing the parks commando style. Since I joined DVC in 92 our vacations are actually relaxing. :)
Have a great day. :)

I think I just need to make my posts clearer...thanks.

It can be so confusing with all the options. :) I just remember it this way:
counter= they assign.
choice= you choose from the aisle relative to what you rented.
EA= anything on the aisle and if there isn't anything that suits you, then you go to the aisle relative to what your rented.

Unfortunately, if you have choice or counter, you cannot use EA.

This all goes to prove one thing. I spend WAY too much time on the net. LOL

To make it even more confusing... ;) Some National locations don't have Emerald Choice. They only have counter or Aisle service. For Example Ft. Lauderdale does not have Emerald Choice.. I know the original poster was asking about Orlando which DOES have all three, but if you are picking up somewhere else you need to keep that in mind too. :confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter