Alaska Itineraries

DannyDisneyFreak

Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.
I'm wondering what Alaska cruise itineraries are the best? Some leave from Anchorage to Victoria, Seattle to Anchorage, inside passage, gulf of Alaska, idk how do you decide what is best? Also, what season is best?

Well, part of it depends on if you want to do any pre- or post- time in inland Alaska (Denali, Girdwood/Seward, etc). You really can only do that with a one-way cruise. And I prefer to do the land-based portion first, then relax with the cruise afterward (ie, Southbound from Seward). (Also, you get the longer flight to Anchorage and then on to Seward first, then fly home from Vancouver, which is generally a shorter flight). Round trip from Seattle, you spend a lot of sea time just getting up to Alaska.

It doesn't look like RCCL does Glacier Bay. So I'd go for a cruise that had Hubbard Glacier. Tracey Arm can be iffy (a lot of ice).

As for when to go, that also depends. Personally, I love late May/early June. Gorgeous weather, less crowded, still a lot of snow on the mountain tops, which is beautiful, not many mosquitoes yet. But everyone likes different times.

Sayhello

I'm wondering what Alaska cruise itineraries are the best? Some leave from Anchorage to Victoria, Seattle to Anchorage, inside passage, gulf of Alaska, idk how do you decide what is best? Also, what season is best?

FYI - there are no Anchorage to Victoria or Seattle to Anchorage cruises. A few ships may port in Anchorage, but one-way cruises sail between Seward or Whittier, Alaska and Vancouver, BC. A ship can't sail between Seattle and Alaska (Seward/Whittier) - as that violates the PVSA. That's why one-way Alaska cruises sail between a US port and a Canadian port.

Here is some general information about Alaska cruises from Cruise Critic: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?id=1353. I also recommend the Alaska forum at Cruise Critic: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

My husband and I just did this itinerary in June on Rhapsody of the Seas. We had a wonderful time and I loved the itinerary. Cost-wise flying round-trip to Seattle from the East Coast was definitely better than an open-jaw flight.

We went whale watching in Juneau and dog-sledding in Skagway. Sailing through the passage and Tracey Arm was really lovely. We had an aft Junior Suite and just enjoyed our balcony and took lots of photos of the sea lions and whales along the way.

Okay can you critique this cruise/ship/itinerary:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/finda...ate=1150605&selectedCurrencyCode=USD&state=NA

Let me know your thoughts...

Jewel of the Seas is a lovely ship, but I have never liked this itinerary on Royal Caribbean. Most Alaska cruises go to 3 Alaskan ports plus a glacier. This itinerary goes only to Juneau and Skagway, but not Ketchikan. While Tracy Arm is a lovely fjord, the Sawyer glaciers at the end are much less impressive than Hubbard Glacier (on Radiance of the Seas) or Glacier Bay (on some Princess, HAL, and NCL ships). The main advantage of this itinerary over others that depart from Seattle is that it spends a full port day in Victoria, rather than the 5 or 6 hours that most cruise lines spend there in the evening.

If you want a roundtrip cruise, I suggest looking at those that sail out of Vancouver rather than Seattle - including DCL. Sailing between Vancouver Island and the mainland (from Vancouver) is much more scenic than sailing around the west of Vancouver Island (from Seattle) in open ocean.

Jewel of the Seas is a lovely ship, but I have never liked this itinerary on Royal Caribbean. Most Alaska cruises go to 3 Alaskan ports plus a glacier. This itinerary goes only to Juneau and Skagway, but not Ketchikan. While Tracy Arm is a lovely fjord, the Sawyer glaciers at the end are much less impressive than Hubbard Glacier (on Radiance of the Seas) or Glacier Bay (on some Princess, HAL, and NCL ships). The main advantage of this itinerary over others that depart from Seattle is that it spends a full port day in Victoria, rather than the 5 or 6 hours that most cruise lines spend there in the evening.

If you want a roundtrip cruise, I suggest looking at those that sail out of Vancouver rather than Seattle - including DCL. Sailing between Vancouver Island and the mainland (from Vancouver) is much more scenic than sailing around the west of Vancouver Island (from Seattle) in open ocean.
I agree with all of this, especially the round-trip from Vancouver rather than Seattle part! :thumbsup2

Sayhello

Thanks for the feedback. This itinerary is the cheapest for some reason, maybe cause it's less desirable.

. . . The main advantage of this itinerary over others that depart from Seattle is that it spends a full port day in Victoria, rather than the 5 or 6 hours that most cruise lines spend there in the evening.
If you spend a day in Victoria, I recommend a visit to Butchart Gardens. It's spectacular.

Woody

So is there enough to do in sea days on the ship to be worthwhile? Do you get to really experience Alaska at sea or is it a waste? I want to enjoy the ship and it's amenities but is there enough to do? We don't gamble btw. Also how are the temperatures and weather while at sea?

So is there enough to do in sea days on the ship to be worthwhile? Do you get to really experience Alaska at sea or is it a waste? I want to enjoy the ship and it's amenities but is there enough to do? We don't gamble btw. Also how are the temperatures and weather while at sea?
Are you asking if there is enough to do on sea days to make cruising to Alaska worthwhile? Cruising to Alaska would be worthwhile even if there was absolutely nothing to do on sea days! :teeth: Whether or not there are "enough" activities to satisfy you depends on your interests and what the cruise ship offers. There will probably be lectures about the Alaskan ports, geography, and/or wildlife - in addition to the usual sea day activities. Unless the pool is covered, you probably won't be swimming.

The outdoor temperature will feel pretty chilly while the ship is sailing - so dress appropriately if you want to spend more than a few minutes outside looking for whales. :)

For me - the itinerary is more important than the ship.

Are you asking if there is enough to do on sea days to make cruising to Alaska worthwhile? Cruising to Alaska would be worthwhile even if there was absolutely nothing to do on sea days! :teeth: Whether or not there are "enough" activities to satisfy you depends on your interests and what the cruise ship offers. There will probably be lectures about the Alaskan ports, geography, and/or wildlife - in addition to the usual sea day activities. Unless the pool is covered, you probably won't be swimming. The outdoor temperature will feel pretty chilly while the ship is sailing - so dress appropriately if you want to spend more than a few minutes outside looking for whales. :) For me - the itinerary is more important than the ship.

I don't mean does it make the cruise worthwhile but are sea days worth it on the ship, the cruise I'm looking at has 2 sea days, it's less money than the sailings with another port day. is there enough to do on the ship to make sea days not boring? I guess I'm asking more about will we feel like we are missing out of the beauty of Alaska stick at sea?

I don't mean does it make the cruise worthwhile but are sea days worth it on the ship, the cruise I'm looking at has 2 sea days, it's less money than the sailings with another port day. is there enough to do on the ship to make sea days not boring? I guess I'm asking more about will we feel like we are missing out of the beauty of Alaska stick at sea?

What cruises are you considering? I would choose more port/glacier days in spite of the higher cost, because the reason for the trip is to see Alaska. I can't tell you if there will be enough to do on the sea day(s) for you to not be bored. However, I always welcome a day of rest on a port intensive cruise.

I've only sailed on DCL so I don't know what the activities and schedule would be like on RCCL - we need to keep the cost low as possible

I've only sailed on DCL so I don't know what the activities and schedule would be like on RCCL - we need to keep the cost low as possible

Royal Caribbean has 2 ships that sail to Alaska next year, and there will be plenty of activities on either. However, you seem more concerned about what you will do on the sea days than you are about what you will see in Alaska on port/glacier days!

The itinerary on Radiance of the Seas is a good one, and Hubbard Glacier trumps Tracy Arm Fjord. I've already told you what I think of Jewel's itinerary: you don't see much of Alaska on it! It's an okay itinerary if you've already been to Alaska, but for a once-in-a-lifetime trip - choose a better itinerary.

Comparing the starting prices of the 3 cruise itineraries (roundtrip, northbound, southbound)- the earlier cruises on Radiance cost less than the round-trip from Seattle on Jewel: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/finda...RD07A110|||||||&compareButton=COMPARE+CRUISES However, airfare to Anchorage and home from Vancouver (or the reverse) will be higher than round-trip airfare to Seattle. I would also strongly suggest you spend a few days in Alaska before or after your cruise if you do the one-way. Rather than settle for a "cheap" cruise, this is one time you should save until you can afford the cruise with the better itinerary. By the way, I've cruised to Alaska 4 times and never had a balcony cabin. They're nice to have, but not a requirement - even in Alaska!

Remember that your aren't really at sea with Alaska, but in the Inside Passage most/all of the time. Someone else will have to post with better info but I have memories of being able to see pretty land much of the time. It's not like the Caribbean where they keep you out of sight of land.

Remember that your aren't really at sea with Alaska, but in the Inside Passage most/all of the time. Someone else will have to post with better info but I have memories of being able to see pretty land much of the time. It's not like the Caribbean where they keep you out of sight of land.

If the OP sails RT out of Seattle, he'll be pretty far from land the first full day - until he gets closer to Juneau on day 3. The more scenic sailing is out of Vancouver - whether round-trip or one-way.

I think the responses so far are validating my hesitations... :worried:

So my next question would be, of the Radiance itineraries (northbound or southbound) which is "better" or different about each? I know they are the same ports but is there any advantage/disadvantage or difference between? And finally, is Icy Straight an actual port? Can you get off the ship there? and what about Tracy Arm Fjord?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter