All I Got Was A Lousy T-Shirt. . .(SleepyD's WetnWild Shower Fan Club -16 Feb 07)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah what Donna said...... ::yes::

I only have two months left you but that doesn't mean you have to wait for the last minute.

--

Do you think maybe it finally hit Princess that they ACTUALLY went on a Disney Cruise without them and is holding them hostage to make sure they don't do anything without her again??? :rotfl2:

Does he have a good excuse Doc?

Octoberbride03 said:
I can't believe i actually caught up b4 the last eppie :rotfl:

You make me wanna leave on my cruise right now:sigh:

Great TR though.
I was waiting for you to catch up. Now, perhaps, I can move along. ;) Okay, folks, truth be told I did get a little lazy, but blame it on the holidays. The weather has been largely good, too, of late which means I'm not staying in to do my duty. I didn't mean to leave anyone hanging pwgs, pppiglet, NAB, Madisonznana, JDB, 1stM, and Ski-and-Sea (funny theory, though, SnS!). But. Thank you all for sticking around. Truly. :) Without further addlepation. . .

The Epilogue

We made the trip back from Port Canaveral in a little over 10 hours. I’d fill you in on the details, except I don't want to bore you, and you’ve all been patient so far. . .well, most of you have been. . .well, some of you. . .okay, then, a handful. Besides, it was an uneventful trip save for Doc once again snickering in the back seat to movie scenes that I could neither see nor hear. Given that we would be getting back significantly past Princess’ bedtime, we had asked Mumma and Paappa if they would keep her one more evening. However, we made good time and called said grandparents to tell them we’d be home earlier than planned. They would put Princess down in her own bed that night and await our arrival.

Our house was such a grand sight to see even though we had enjoyed ourselves immensely on the cruise. There is nothing quite like pulling into your driveway after a long, tedious drive. The furry critters who actually run the house—our four cats—were both happy and perturbed. . .thrilled to have us home, but haughty in their acknowledgement of our arrival. Mumma was there to greet us, and Princess was asleep which was good since it allowed us time to unwind, catch up with my ma-in-law, haul in suitcases, and generally just come down from the day’s travels.

The most touching moment was when we first walked into the kitchen. Mumma didn’t say a word, she just smiled and pointed. Here’s what greeted us:

4944387_1024.ts1160013437906.jpg

4944492_1024.ts1160013597357.jpg

She drew, colored, and wrapped these very special mementos for us. All together, "Awwwwwww. . ."

Yes, it brought tears to our eyes. We had left a small goodie bag for her to open each day of our absence. . .and she returned the favor—a Princess with a heart as genuine, guileless, and caring as any I’ve ever seen. How could we not be touched?

Of course, the next morning saw the typical 6-year old response to us being home. Sleepy-eyed and tousle-haired, she came traipsing through the kitchen looking for the couch in the den to plop down on while I got her breakfast. She was glad to see us but not overwhelmed. We were parents—we were supposed to be there. Naturally, when we mentioned presents, she perked right up. Then came the big moment—the confession.

“Princess,” we intoned, “we had a good cruise, but we have to tell you something.”

“What?” she asked.

And we gave her the pillowcase. I wish I had been awake enough to remember the camera. Her mouth flew open, and her eyes got big and round. A small breathless “wow-w-w-w-w” floated in the air. And she started reading the names: Goofy, Snow White, Cinderella (no she didn’t notice ;)), and all the rest.

She cocked her pert little head to one side and scrunched up her face. “Where did you guys get this

“We went on a Disney cruise, hon.” Silence. One beat, two. . .

“You did!?”

“Ummm, yeah. . .”

“Cool!!! Was Mickey driving the ship?”

And just like that, we were off the hook. I told you. She’s guileless. And a keeper. She quizzed us about what we saw and did, and we promised to show her pictures that afternoon. Of course, we also gave heavy air play to the notion that we would be taking another cruise when she was 8, and that she would definitely be going with us this time. (For those of you quick on the math, yes, that’s nearly two years off but next summer is the birthday trip to WDW with us, Mumma, and Paappa. . .their first trip with Princess to the World.) All was right in her world. She had a few unexpected gifts, she had news of going on a cruise with us next time, and most importantly, Mom and Dad were home. A fitting end to our first cruise.

Of course, about this point, many of you are wondering, “what about the painted nails?” Just a couple of days later, Doc and I were sitting at the breakfast nook table as Princess finished up her homework. Princess declared, “I want my nails painted, please.” We allow babysitters to do that with her and occasionally do it for her ourselves, so we said “sure.” Once her nails were dry, she immediately wanted to do Doc’s. Due to her job, doc rarely applies nail polish. Princess wouldn’t relent, wanting to at least do Doc’s toes. Not happening. Then, with all the pixie charm and gooey-eyed love in her eyes that she could muster, she looked at me. And I melted. I fall for it every time. . .and why not?

Our children grow too quickly as it is, and it’s so easy to treat each day as a repetition of the previous one and the day prior to it and three days ago, and so on, until they blur. And become months, years. All of a sudden, they’re dating. They have friends. . .who aren’t named Mom and Dad. They have hurried lives like we do and would rather eat a pine cone than be caught in Tinkerbell PJs. They want to spend most of their free time talking complete and utter inanities on the phone. They tolerate us, though they don’t believe we know a blessed thing. We watch them walk out the door and drive to school or to a movie or out to eat. . .without us. Though they are still naïve in many ways, they are no longer innocent. . .nor guileless. They love us, but in a more grown up way that says they are no longer a child.

So, yeah, I fall for it—that look of complete belief and joy in her Daddy, in his place in her life—because I know the time passes far too fleetingly. And that, my dear readers, is the real story behind the very first picture in this long travelogue. A short story in the guise of a trip report. No intricate plot. No guilt trip. Just the love of a father for his little girl. Amen.

Thank you all for the time and attention you’ve given to this “author”itative look at our first cruise. I have laughed and enjoyed your comments, and snorted coffee on more than one occasion at the witty ripostes and zingers with which you’ve showered this TR. I have been overwhelmed and amazed at your devotion to this report and at your generosity of kudos for my languid pace and breezy storytelling. . .or I should say despite those quirks. This trip is over. . .hell, it’s been over for two months now. ;) But, the journey continues, not only in the memory of the cruise itself, but in a more special adventure, that of life with new friends and new experiences to complement those we already have. So, thank you again from the bottom of my heart for your encouragement. Now, get a life and stop obsessing about me finishing this report. k? :teeth:

P.S. Besides, I’m not truly done. There is a TIPS PAGE yet to come, and I’m sure there will be some more snarky comments that will need replying to. :thumbsup2 One final note in the form of a Coming Attraction. Will there be a cruise in the future for FatherForce, Sleepy, and families? Stay tuned in the coming months and you may find out. . .

Second star to the right. . .and full on til morning. . .

I am so glad the Princess was not upset. She is still a great age, you were truly lucky!
Thanks for all your hard work keeping us entertained for two months. :woohoo: You did a fantastic job, I enjoyed every minute.

Awwwwwww . . . an (almost) ending worth waiting for, SD.

Your eloquent words about our children growing up are SO true. I have fortunately reached the point where my DD (24) occasionally thinks I'm smart again! Each age is better than the last, I think.

Looking forward to reading your tips and future Disney adventures, but please come back and see us at M2 now and again!

Aw Geez! THAT was so gooood dawg!
You all look so svelte in your daughter's drawrings of you! SO CUTE!

And! Your counter tops are fabulous!

Ok, bring on the tips....but we're in no hurry!

UMA is in no hurray but like I said I only have two months.... :lmao:

But I can wait until after the holidays. Everyone is so busy with life around this time me included.

You can tell you are teaching your daughter well. She sounds lovely. And the picture are awwwwwwwww. Kids learn though you. So you two must be pretty awesome yourselves. :)

Well done Sleepydog ... been following along since the start and I have to say that it was worth the wait. Although I'm a bit saddened to see it end. Sounds like you and Doc are doing a fabulous job with Princess. Just keep in mind ... having grown up a Princess myself ... you won't be completely stupid in the years to come, Princess will just have to make you feel that way in order to maintain her "teen" membership card ;) and don't tell anyone that I told you that :rolleyes1 I now have two Princes of my own ... and I'm pretty sure that I will be dumber than a box of rocks starting in just a few short years. :rotfl2:

OH, one other thing ... I enjoyed reading your recommendations of wine for Thanksgiving dinner. The reaffirmation in my choice of a Pinot Noir was a definite plus :thumbsup2

Wow! What a way to end such a fabulous TR. :thumbsup2 You and Doc sound like amazing parents and Princess is a doll. You are right, they grow up so fast, so enjoy every moment. My Princess will be 18 when we take her on the Wonder in April. I agree with Minnie_Moo that every age is better than the last. DD will be begining her college career in the fall and that is an exciting time. There is something wonderful about every stage of their growth. DS is 22 and that is a wonderful age as well. It is so exciting to see them graduate from college and start out in their career.

I've really enjoyed reliving your magical trip along with you and everyone on this thread. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us.

Dog, that was exellent - right to the end! I hope we sail with you in 2008! Best wishes and happy holidays! :goodvibes :wave:

slackerdog said:
I wish I had been awake enough to remember the camera.

Should have had some COFFEE! ;)

sleepydaddy said:
She drew, colored, and wrapped these very special mementos for us. All together, "Awwwwwww. . ."

Awww...and look at the detail she put into them. Even eye color and a heart in the sun! :love:

princessdog said:
“Cool!!! Was Mickey driving the ship?”

Priceless. :rotfl:

marshmallowdog said:
And I melted. I fall for it every time. . .and why not?

Like we didn't know that from the first post! ;)

funnydog said:
witty ripostes and zingers

:rolleyes1 who would do that?

daddydog said:
So, yeah, I fall for it—that look of complete belief and joy in her Daddy, in his place in her life—because I know the time passes far too fleetingly. And that, my dear readers, is the real story behind the very first picture in this long travelogue. A short story in the guise of a trip report. No intricate plot. No guilt trip. Just the love of a father for his little girl. Amen.

They say that good things come to those who wait......and this trip report is proof of that. Thanks for sharing it and your family with the rest of us.

Nice job, Dog. :thumbsup2

:guilty: My guilty pleasure is over. It's over!!!!!!!!!!!! The trip is over, the toenails are accounted for and it's over!!!!!!!!!!! That's just wrong. It should never end!! :furious: Thanks for ruining my weekend and not giving me something to hope for any more!! :badpc:

Okay, my fit is over. Great report. Bravo! Encore!!!

Great ending. I always pegged you for a "cat man"...I have 3 myself! I don't know how they are going to do on our first trip away for 2 weeks next May for our 25th anniversary on the Magic and WDW. Thank you for finishing before the holidays. Now I can go shopping and my family might get some presents! Hee Hee....I will be looking forward to those "TIPS" coming our way!

You finished just in time............whew!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am off to the World at 7am tomorrow morning & will be stepping onto the Wonder on Sunday.
Thanks for such a wonderful report & helping keep me excited about my trip. :goodvibes
You are a wonderful storyteller & I think just an all around pretty neat guy. :thumbsup2

I just found your report this morning, and read it today at work- it's a great one! It's been over 6 years since I've done the cruise now, but I can't wait to go back!

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us!

that look of complete belief and joy in her Daddy, in his place in her life

I heard a saying before.
A son's first hero, a daughters first love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter