All questions about 5X Rewards here...

Also, most important is not to get caught up with spending more on the card and not being able to pay off at each month. (I think that's what the bank's real hope is, so we pay high interest to get a few extra Disney Dollars, why else would they do it for us that pay in full every month)

That's another reason the gift cards are a good way to handle this.
Purchase your budgeted amount for each category on gift cards & use those instead of your credit card.

Only I haven't been able to find Target or Walmart gc yet.
I checked at Foodworld (thay had Home Depot & Sears)
& Winn Dixie (they had Lowes)
I haven't been to a gas station yet.

Watch out for overpriced things at the grocery store. I was out of cat food & DD need some Ibprfen. I didn't have time to make another stop so I had to buy it at WD. I paid $3 more than I would have if I got it at Target or Walmart. There went all my "savings/rewards" even at 5x$83.

I know that the offer seems to be sent out randomly, but is there any way to increase your chances of being someone to get it? I mean, obviously they're going to go to people who Disney has contact info for in the first place, right? Or if you taken past vacations, does that increase your chances, etc?

I've been a cardmember since "day one" and this is the first offer I've received. I called to try to receive one of these offers once, but was denied. We put so many expenses on our card, and pay it off each month, so I was thinking we probably would never receive one (since they rarely get any interest $ from us). I really don't think there's any way to increase your chances...

Just be careful buying giftcards- make sure you don't buy any for places that may be rumored to go under. I believe that Linen's and Things G.C.'s were void when they went bankrupt.

I've been a cardholder for only about a year and haven't gotten any offers. I stuck them in the safe yesterday so we'll see if non-use helps in our particular situation.

I would love to know how you get selected or how they come up with the categories or dollar amounts. This time, we got the offer twice (once by email and once by snail mail :confused3)

I know that the offer seems to be sent out randomly, but is there any way to increase your chances of being someone to get it? I mean, obviously they're going to go to people who Disney has contact info for in the first place, right? Or if you taken past vacations, does that increase your chances, etc?

I've been a cardmember since "day one" and this is the first offer I've received. I called to try to receive one of these offers once, but was denied. We put so many expenses on our card, and pay it off each month, so I was thinking we probably would never receive one (since they rarely get any interest $ from us). I really don't think there's any way to increase your chances...

I would love to know how you get selected or how they come up with the categories or dollar amounts. This time, we got the offer twice (once by email and once by snail mail :confused3)
I used to think that it had something to do with "disuse" of the card. We have 2 cards but only one gets regular use. In January, the card that we rarely use got the 5X offer. But then in April, July and Oct. the other card (the one that runs around $2K each month) got the 5X offer.

And I read at least one post from someone who stated that they got offers on both of their cards this time, even though the fine print states that that "only one consumer account per household is eligible".

My new, unofficial and totally speculative theory is that Chase weighs your spending habits, your debt-credit ratio, your FICO score and payment history. Then someone in the promotions department takes a stack of postcards to the top of a staircase and throws them in the air. The postcards that fall on the odd numbered steps are the ones that get the offer that month. :rotfl2:

Oh! Thanks so much for the gift card idea!!

We're almost out of our stockpile of Lucas' formula (we buy about $300 at a time from Sams) so sounds like a good month to go get some more.

Our offer is for anything above $250! :)

Anyone know if the Disney restaurants count? We'll be at Disney the last week of October and if they count I'll take my Visa for the tips (we're on free dining).

My new, unofficial and totally speculative theory is that Chase weighs your spending habits, your debt-credit ratio, your FICO score and payment history. Then someone in the promotions department takes a stack of postcards to the top of a staircase and throws them in the air. The postcards that fall on the odd numbered steps are the ones that get the offer that month. :rotfl2:

:lmao:

I received it by post card and email also.

It's 100 bonus rewards dollars total in the 3-month period.

I just want you to be aware that the 5X bonus is not paid on the first $500 spent in those categories each month. It is only paid on any spending over $500 total in a calendar month and only in those 4 categories. :teacher:

To get 100 bonus rewards dollars, you will have to spend $2500 total in those categories above the monthly $500 threshold. That could be as much as $4000 in CC charges for groceries, gas, airline and dining over a 3-month period. :faint:

Thanks for explaining this more in depth, now I believe I understand how this promotion really works. Last time I received the $1000 promotion I was charging everything and never receivied any bonus pts. I guess I never hit the first $1000.

Thanks also for the gift card idea, I'll be heading to Safeway to see which gift cards I would use to help with my $500 total.

Have another question:
I called the number on the back of my card to see if a couple of stores are included as groceries. He couldn't tell me, they don't have a list of stores they just look back on your pass charges in order to see, which didn't work for me since I usually don't charge my food purchases. I did just look at one of my pass statements and noticed that GIANT Food was listed as "other" and not grocery. I forgot I did charge at GIANT when we moved my son into his college apartment. Now I'm wondering about the store I always shop at which is Martins Foods or Shoppers Food, does anyone know whether these two are included.

Thanks

I also have a question - just received the 5X offer for over $250 in dining, gas, groceries & airlines. I've gotten it in the past but it was always for over $750 and never reach that amount in these catagories. But over $250 should not be a problem.

Anyway, I looked at some past online statements and whenever I've charged gas, it shows online as "Vehicle Expense". Will this count as a gas purchase if it continues to be listed this way during the promotion?

Have another question:
I called the number on the back of my card to see if a couple of stores are included as groceries. He couldn't tell me, they don't have a list of stores they just look back on your pass charges in order to see, which didn't work for me since I usually don't charge my food purchases. I did just look at one of my pass statements and noticed that GIANT Food was listed as "other" and not grocery. I forgot I did charge at GIANT when we moved my son into his college apartment. Now I'm wondering about the store I always shop at which is Martins Foods or Shoppers Food, does anyone know whether these two are included.

Thanks

I also have a question - just received the 5X offer for over $250 in dining, gas, groceries & airlines. I've gotten it in the past but it was always for over $750 and never reach that amount in these catagories. But over $250 should not be a problem.

Anyway, I looked at some past online statements and whenever I've charged gas, it shows online as "Vehicle Expense". Will this count as a gas purchase if it continues to be listed this way during the promotion?

There's a difference between the way a charge appears on your statement and the way that it credits toward your bonus rewards. Online, it can appear as "other" when it does get credited as "grocery". Every one of the grocery stores that I use shows up as "other" when I look it up online. The convenience store where I purchase my gasoline shows up as "vehicle expense". There are no categories on my printed statement.

You can call the Chase customer service number and get an automated recording of your last transactions. They will be more detailed and will reflect the category that it was credited to.

There's a difference between the way a charge appears on your statement and the way that it credits toward your bonus rewards. Online, it can appear as "other" when it does get credited as "grocery". Every one of the grocery stores that I use shows up as "other" when I look it up online. The convenience store where I purchase my gasoline shows up as "vehicle expense". There are no categories on my printed statement.

You can call the Chase customer service number and get an automated recording of your last transactions. They will be more detailed and will reflect the category that it was credited to.

Ok, that makes me feel a little better, I just decided to go back through several bills online and I did charge at Safeway and at Martins Food and both of them show as "other" and not "grocery", I'll take my chance and charge at Martins and see what I can find out once it shows on my online statement. I'll call after it shows up on the statement.

I finally got a 5X offer too and it's for the 1,000.00. So I figured if I really want the extra rewards I can always buy even the gift cards for the Grocery Store. What I make in interest on my savings is smaller than what I get in rewards. But I sure wish they would make these either more often or more reasonable.

Gift card idea is great! Especially since evryone wants gift cards for Christmas! Plus, using it for things you are going to spend money on anyway too right!

I have to spend a $1000.00 first! That does annoy me. BUT here is what I can't wrap my brain around....does the $1000.00 HAVE to be in those 4 categories or is it that you earn the 5X after you've spent $1000.00 total on the card? I am sure this was already answered so sorry I didn't read back far enough.

I have to spend a $1000.00 first! That does annoy me. BUT here is what I can't wrap my brain around....does the $1000.00 HAVE to be in those 4 categories or is it that you earn the 5X after you've spent $1000.00 total on the card? I am sure this was already answered so sorry I didn't read back far enough.
I hate to break it to you but you will need to spend $1000 in a single month in any combination of those 4 categories. Any amount above $1K spent in those 4 categories that month will be eligible for the 5X rewards. The following month you will have to get past that $1K hurdle again before the 5X bonus kicks in.

I hate to break it to you but you will need to spend $1000 in a single month in any combination of those 4 categories. Any amount above $1K spent in those 4 categories that month will be eligible for the 5X rewards. The following month you will have to get past that $1K hurdle again before the 5X bonus kicks in.
That really stinks! I mean I charge everything too AND pay off the bill each month BUT I doubt I spend 1000.00! I am annoyed!

I wonder if anyone has ever called and gotten them to lower the threshold>>>Wishful thinking I'm sure!

That really stinks! I mean I charge everything too AND pay off the bill each month BUT I doubt I spend 1000.00! I am annoyed!

I wonder if anyone has ever called and gotten them to lower the threshold>>>Wishful thinking I'm sure!

I had the $1000 last time I received the 5X promotion and I thought the same thing. Needless to say I didn't recieve any bonus pts. This time I received the $500 in the 4 cats. I believe I can make this work especially if I do the gift card idea.

I'm learning more and more from this discussion, I really appreciate it. Thanks for all the ideas.

I got an offer a few days ago to get 5x rewards on the Disney Visa. I had to call in and give a code to be enrolled. One of the kids when cleaning up threw the card away and I was wondering if anyone else had gotten it and could tell me the other terms. The terms I remember were I got 5x rewards on spending over $750 each month from oct 09-dec09. I just don't remember if this was limited to certain places like it has been before (grocery, gas, disney, etc).

Thanks!

if I remember right, different people got different offers. Mine is limited to gas, grocerys, restaurants (not including fast food), and something else I can't remember, but I only had to spend $500. If you call the number on your card, or look it up on their site, they can tell you what your offer is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter