All You Bought Was a Room

For which you don't have to have an AP to enjoy. You can buy all the park tickets you want.

The sense of entitlement over AP purchasing is truly something else.
And the willingness of people to give Disney a pass on whatever they do is also truly something else.

DVC members make a huge financial commitment to Disney. Does anyone really think that it is too much of an ask to have access to an AP? Really?

For which you don't have to have an AP to enjoy. You can buy all the park tickets you want.

The sense of entitlement over AP purchasing is truly something else.

Well, you have to look on the bright side. Pretty soon most of Europe will be paying a few thousand a month to heat their homes. Maybe Disney will start selling us AP's to make up for the Europeans who can't afford to come anymore. At least there will be good deals on the DVC resales.

It's silly to suggest that everyone has access to an AP now and that it would cost $25K. That's simply not true.

I am not asking for a discounted AP and it is somewhat condescending for you to suggest that is what all members here are asking for.

Again, we can agree to disagree on whether DVC owners should feel as if they are owed the opportunity to buy an AP. If you don't share that feeling, then marvelous. Not all of us are willing to just shrug our shoulders and accept the mantra of "all you bought was a room."

The only piece is that not everyone benefits from the AP as is and have seen better ticket options removed as well.

As just mentioned, the non expiring tickets of yesteryear twere a great option for those o who would be doing shorter multiple small trips over the year and I do know some DVC owners who bought because those were an option and now gone.

Now that I am retired, I could get by with that if they get rid of APs.

IMO, There is a bit of difference between being disappointed/frustrated and even angry that a product no one everr thought would stop has been suspended then being angry as in one is owed that type of ticket.

Lots of DVC owners out there who don’t need or have never used an AP would love to have a better and cheaper tickets than having access to the AP.

So, of course, people bought to have access to the parks and that hasn’t change ..it’s simply just not as cost effective as it once was when they were selling an AP ticket.

I agree it would be nice for DPEP to come out with some product..whether it’s an AP or non expiring ticket..or something in between that has the DVC owner in mind and works with their vacations since they have invested into owning DVC.

Personally, I don’t understand why everyone who isn’t angry has to be referred to as giving Disney a pass or being an apologist for them as though it’s wrong to feel the way we do.

I can’t control them or any business out there when they make decisions. I can control me and adjust to the changes that fit me

As posted, when and if Disney sees changes that are a negative enough to their goals and turning people away, it’s on them to make the change to try and get guests who have left back.

Last edited:
The only piece is that not everyone benefits from the AP as is and have seen better ticket options removed as well.
Okay. But just because other DVC'ers didn't find the AP useful, doesn't negate the loss for those of us who do. Nothing Disney does is all or nothing.

I agree it would be nice for DPEP to come out with some product..whether it’s an AP or non expiring ticket..or something in between that has the DVC owner in mind and works with their vacations since they have invested into owning DVC.
We agree on this, and that is my point.

There is a difference between being disappointed that a product no one everr thought would stop has been suspended then being angry that something you were never guaranteed has been changed or eliminated as though it was.
I'm not angry, so not sure if this was directed at my comments specifically. And, if you read all of my posts, I never indicated that I even thought that I was guaranteed something. I clearly understand what is guaranteed, and what is not. I do think some of the snarky and condescending responses that I received when expressing my opinion were inappropriate, but I can handle that.

I disagree wholeheartedly with the premise of the thread that as an owner, all I should expect is a room in which to sleep. That is purely my opinion, but I suspect many other DVC owners feel the same way. Disney isn't "selling" just a room.

Personally, I don’t understand why everyone who isn’t angry has to be referred to as giving Disney a pass or being an apologist for them as though it’s wrong to feel the way we do.
Probably for the same reason everyone who is upset about the AP situation is called entitled.

I disagree wholeheartedly with the premise of the thread that as an owner, all I should expect is a room in which to sleep. That is purely my opinion, but I suspect many other DVC owners feel the same way. Disney isn't "selling" just a room.
Maybe they're not just selling a room, but the theme park product has changed in countless ways over the last several decades. Suspension of AP sales struck a particular nerve with some people. Others, not so much. We could go thru an extensive list of park-related changes ranging from attractions to entertainment to policies to prices which have happened over the years.

The 4 WDW theme parks aren't going away. But they look (and cost) different today than they did 20 years ago. And they'll change again over the next 20 years.

Okay. But just because other DVC'ers didn't find the AP useful, doesn't negate the loss for those of us who do. Nothing Disney does is all or nothing.

We agree on this, and that is my point.

I'm not angry, so not sure if this was directed at my comments specifically. And, if you read all of my posts, I never indicated that I even thought that I was guaranteed something. I clearly understand what is guaranteed, and what is not. I do think some of the snarky and condescending responses that I received when expressing my opinion were inappropriate, but I can handle that.

General statement and not directed at anyone in particular.

Maybe they're not just selling a room, but the theme park product has changed in countless ways over the last several decades. Suspension of AP sales struck a particular nerve with some people. Others, not so much. We could go thru an extensive list of park-related changes ranging from attractions to entertainment to policies to prices which have happened over the years.

The 4 WDW theme parks aren't going away. But they look (and cost) different today than they did 20 years ago. And they'll change again over the next 20 years.
No doubt. I can give you another specific example: Magical Express. Look at the reaction the cancellation of that program received here on the DIS. That change made zero difference to my family as we never used it. But I could certainly empathize with those that did.

We first bought our points 20 years ago, so we've seen a ton of changes over that time and still aren't to the point of selling and walking away. Heck, we just bought a ton of new points at Riviera in January. I do think we, as owners, should expect more than "just a room."

During the shut down, we booked rooms at VGC because we thought even though the parks were closed going on vacation to our "just a room" to enjoy DTD restaurants and other attractions in the surrounding area sounded wonderful. And DL stayed closed almost a year longer than WDW, all of those reservations got cancelled by Disney. You can see a lot of angsty posts about them in my history. :rolleyes2

When DLR didn't bring back the APs at DL and thought they might not bring them back for years, we strategized how we wanted our trips to look like with the parks open but not being able to afford to go into the parks every time we stayed at the VGC, and we settled on the idea of 3-4 trips a year in larger rooms for slightly longer instead of the 7-8 weekends in 1 bedrooms that have become our standard with the kids in high school. I even toyed with the idea of booking a grand villa for the first time. In that case we would have bought park tickets for two of the annual trips as that was about as much as we were willing to spend, and done resort/restaurant trips the others. And we still would have enjoyed our vacations with friends and kids although we would have looked longingly at the parks while enjoying drinks and desserts we wouldn't make for ourselves at home.

Every time we checked in this year my friend and I talked about how grateful we are to be able to afford to stay in such a beautiful hotel.

While I appreciate that DVD sells a dream that includes the parks, with all the people on the DIS that talk about how much they enjoy resort-only stays at WDW, I guess the part I'm not getting of this is, aren't most DVC DISsers glad they have a beautiful room to stay in for the price they got? And if you aren't, you can probably sell your contract for a profit if you bought in a time in which those perks existed. When I listen to friends who bought other timeshares mourn the wasted money when they decided they didn't want to use it anymore and sold their contracts, I'm even more grateful for DVC. I suspect of the three timeshare systems we own, its the one I'll keep for the life span of the contract (or my life span, whichever comes first). Even though its just a room.

While I appreciate that DVD sells a dream that includes the parks, with all the people on the DIS that talk about how much they enjoy resort-only stays at WDW, I guess the part I'm not getting of this is, aren't most DVC DISsers glad they have a beautiful room to stay in for the price they got? And if you aren't, you can probably sell your contract for a profit if you bought in a time in which those perks existed. When I listen to friends who bought other timeshares mourn the wasted money when they decided they didn't want to use it anymore and sold their contracts, I'm even more grateful for DVC. I suspect of the three timeshare systems we own, its the one I'll keep for the life span of the contract (or my life span, whichever comes first). Even though its just a room.

No. I, for one; I have absolutely no desire to go to WDW sans parks. There are plenty of other places to stay nearer to other places of interest with nicer rooms for a better price.

No. I, for one; I have absolutely no desire to go to WDW sans parks. There are plenty of other places to stay nearer to other places of interest with nicer rooms for a better price.
Totally agree. If it wasn't for the parks we'd probably never step foot in Florida again, except maybe occasionally the coastal beach areas like Miami or Naples/Ft Myers.

I love our DVC purchases. For the vacations we've taken at WDW it's turned out to be one of the best purchases I've made. The proximity to the parks and discount versus CRO rooms make DVC a homerun for any Disneyworld frequent visitor. But if the parks got hit by this coming hurricane and ended up never reopening all our values would be cut by 90%.

Personally, I am all for cancelling all AP and local passes. The more people with cheap passes just makes it more crowded. I would pay double if it was half as busy.

While I appreciate that DVD sells a dream that includes the parks, with all the people on the DIS that talk about how much they enjoy resort-only stays at WDW, I guess the part I'm not getting of this is, aren't most DVC DISsers glad they have a beautiful room to stay in for the price they got?
I’m probably not like most but we are happy with the villas we stay in and having the space we have at the prices we’ve paid. We’re totally content with 1 and 2 bedroom villas that we would never pay cash prices for.

Personally, I am all for cancelling all AP and local passes. The more people with cheap passes just makes it more crowded. I would pay double if it was half as busy.

You have to be more subtle. You're coming on way too strong with the same comment in multiple threads to get the reaction you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter