• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Allergy Dining at Quick Service?

Randomsoulshine

Mouseketeer
My daughter has been diagnosed with high gluten, dairy, and egg intolerance. This trip in order to add in Universal tickets we are eating only Quick Service. Any experience with allergy free dining at quick service locations? Any favorite items?

They should all have an allergy menu that you can see - as well as offering to let you speak with a chef - that will list what items are safe for which allergens.

If you are doing BOG for breakfast or dinner, you can still pre-order - just check off her allergens and it will list what is available to choose from.

For regular pre-ordering, I have heard reports that you can now specify allergies for that, but I have not been since that was reported.

I'm only gluten-free, but I'm a fan of the chicken fingers. And pretty much anything at Satu'li. I don't know how egg and dairy affect those though as I've only looked at gluten.

Edit to add: This is JUST at Disney. I have not done Universal so I have no experience there.

They do not have dedicated GF fryers, not sure if that will be an issue or not for your daughter and the fried foods. The allergan free food took longer to prepare than the regular meals, just be prepared to wait a bit.

I have family members with food allergies and have found the CS are not that great. We pretty much eat all meals at TS.

For food allergies, the fastest is mobile ordering, which does a pretty good job at telling you what allergens there are (it has the allergy menus in the app and should be prepared the same as ordering at the counter). Yes, you can ask for the chef and/or allergy menu, but that takes time in addition to waiting for the allergen friendly food to be prepared.

That being said, to have all of those combined is going to make QS very difficult, TS would make more sense and even then it will be a challenge.

My son has a severe peanut and tree nut allergy. We have eaten at many quick service and table service locations at Disney World over the past 2 trips (2017 and 2018). So far all have been fantastic for our needs. They will show you the allergy menu and will take the time to explain things when asked.

I know you can now specify via mobile ordering about the allergy, but for us we would like to make sure we talk to someone about it first rather than rely on it going through a computer only. We don't mind waiting a few more minutes for additional peace of mind. Just a personal preference on that as I am sure it is likely safe, but as my sons allergy is severe we don't like to take chances.

We’ve had very good service and selection at quick service at Disney. My son must be gluten and dairy free. The deluxe resorts are best. Recommend taking a quick monorail ride to the Contemporary and eating at the Contempo Cafe if you are at the Magic Kingdom. We went to Universal last summer and I will say that we were very disappointed by the quick service there. For example, they had pancakes that were safe but the syrup to go with it wasn’t. No one seemed to be able to offer us GF fries there. Recommend bringing your own snacks into Universal.

My son has a severe peanut and tree nut allergy. We have eaten at many quick service and table service locations at Disney World over the past 2 trips (2017 and 2018). So far all have been fantastic for our needs. They will show you the allergy menu and will take the time to explain things when asked.

I know you can now specify via mobile ordering about the allergy, but for us we would like to make sure we talk to someone about it first rather than rely on it going through a computer only. We don't mind waiting a few more minutes for additional peace of mind. Just a personal preference on that as I am sure it is likely safe, but as my sons allergy is severe we don't like to take chances.

This. When you are talking about food allergies, is saving a few minutes by not talking with a chef really worth the chance you are taking on your or your child's health?? (Not you @Dazrath - the poster who was talking about how it takes longer to talk with a chef.)

They do not have dedicated GF fryers, not sure if that will be an issue or not for your daughter and the fried foods. The allergan free food took longer to prepare than the regular meals, just be prepared to wait a bit.
can not say for Disney but small park I work at does not have dedicated fryers but our allergy chicken tenders are baked in oven, and that also includes our allergy taters, at time of order so yes it does take longer to get your meals

I am GF and DD18 is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, bananas and melons. We found it easy to get the allergy friendly chicken strips and French fries at many places both in parks and at resorts over the years. I am also a fan of the meat+rice or potatoes bowls at several places (with slightly different varieties of flavors/toppings/etc) at places like Satuli, Pecos Bills, Fairfax Fare, POFQ Sassagoula, etc. I would also ad that we have had very good food and service at Gaspie's at GF and Contempo Café at CR.

Epcot Worldshowcase can be tricky as well as any dining at CSR as these restaurants are not operated by Disney.

We have not been to Universal in a few years but I agree with pp. We found the Uni dining to be less than accommodating and very few choices. We are actually considering staying on WDW property and just taking Uber to Uni during the day for our next visit because of the food issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter