Allianz vs Disney Vacation Protection Plan

justme0729

DIS Veteran
Im debating on Allianz vs Disney vacation protection plan… Allianz is $188 and Disney is about $375. Allianz covers 500,000 vs Disney 30,000 for emergency medical transport and Allianz 50,000 vs Disney 20,000 for emergency medical/ dental…. But Disney has the cancel for any reason included for 75% of trip cost where Allianz doesn’t. For Allianz to have cancel for any reason on top of other coverages, it would be $496. Any advice or what would you choose for your family? I don’t want to overpay but want to feel like I have the option to cancel if a bad hurricane is going to interfere with our trip or itinerary.

Would Allianz or Disney pay anything for if our itinerary changed due to weather? Is this part of “trip interruption”?

Im debating on Allianz vs Disney vacation protection plan… Allianz is $188 and Disney is about $375. Allianz covers 500,000 vs Disney 30,000 for emergency medical transport and Allianz 50,000 vs Disney 20,000 for emergency medical/ dental…. But Disney has the cancel for any reason included for 75% of trip cost where Allianz doesn’t. For Allianz to have cancel for any reason on top of other coverages, it would be $496. Any advice or what would you choose for your family? I don’t want to overpay but want to feel like I have the option to cancel if a bad hurricane is going to interfere with our trip or itinerary.

Would Allianz or Disney pay anything for if our itinerary changed due to weather? Is this part of “trip interruption”?
Some insurance coverages do cover a missed port. Not all. You have to read the policy to make sure everything you want is covered.

Some insurance coverages do cover a missed port. Not all. You have to read the policy to make sure everything you want is covered.

Thanks! It sounds like number 10 in this screenshot would cover a missed port I think? The “travel carrrier” is defined as a company licensed to transport passengers by land, air, and water. I could contact them but if you or anyone else reading has experience with this, I’d rather not call lol

Attachments

• IMG_8032.png
    IMG_8032.png
    98.6 KB · Views: 7
One thing you have to be careful of is the dates that it covers. If you go with Disney's coverage and you're not booking flights through them, they don't cover anything associated with the flights/transportation or day of (if you are coming in before or leaving after). It just covers the cruise. With insurance purchased independently, you can customize it to cover everything. The trade-off is, of course, is the cancel for any reason (yes, with private insurance, that option is usually quite expensive), which wouldn't be in the independently purchased insurance.

Trip interruption is usually if you have to cut your trip short due to illness or accident or something of that nature, not a missed port or changed itinerary. The only costs you would normally incur with a missed port/changed port are a nonrefundable excursion, if it's the final destination and you were planning to stay there and missed a night at a hotel due to late arrival, or you were diverted to a different port where you then had to pay out of pocket to get to the original port or home. If your policy isn't covering the timeframe after the cruise, then that wouldn't be eligible.

Thanks! It sounds like number 10 in this screenshot would cover a missed port I think?
I don't think so. Without reading the entire policy, it's hard to say exactly what it refers to, but I think it refers to transportation to the initial/ending port as it refers to "getting there another way" and "accommodations" and taking alternate transportation of equal or lower class and also references FAA which has nothing to do with the cruise. If you miss a port or are late to a port and have nonrefundable excursion bookings, I think you're on your own with this. Even if it covered cruise ports after departure, you'd certainly be on your own if you're a few hours late due to weather since it says that you have to be unable to get there after trying for 24 hours, so it likely would never kick in.

If you're unsure of any of the insurance coverage, I would definitely call and clarify because there's nothing worse than paying for insurance, having and issue and then realizing that you weren't actually covered.

One thing you have to be careful of is the dates that it covers. If you go with Disney's coverage and you're not booking flights through them, they don't cover anything associated with the flights/transportation or day of (if you are coming in before or leaving after). It just covers the cruise. With insurance purchased independently, you can customize it to cover everything. The trade-off is, of course, is the cancel for any reason (yes, with private insurance, that option is usually quite expensive), which wouldn't be in the independently purchased insurance.

Trip interruption is usually if you have to cut your trip short due to illness or accident or something of that nature, not a missed port or changed itinerary. The only costs you would normally incur with a missed port/changed port are a nonrefundable excursion, if it's the final destination and you were planning to stay there and missed a night at a hotel due to late arrival, or you were diverted to a different port where you then had to pay out of pocket to get to the original port or home. If your policy isn't covering the timeframe after the cruise, then that wouldn't be eligible.

I don't think so. Without reading the entire policy, it's hard to say exactly what it refers to, but I think it refers to transportation to the initial/ending port as it refers to "getting there another way" and "accommodations" and taking alternate transportation of equal or lower class and also references FAA which has nothing to do with the cruise. If you miss a port or are late to a port and have nonrefundable excursion bookings, I think you're on your own with this. Even if it covered cruise ports after departure, you'd certainly be on your own if you're a few hours late due to weather since it says that you have to be unable to get there after trying for 24 hours, so it likely would never kick in.

If you're unsure of any of the insurance coverage, I would definitely call and clarify because there's nothing worse than paying for insurance, having and issue and then realizing that you weren't actually covered.
Thank you!!

We always buy Allianz instead of the cruise insurance for a few reasons. It’s cheaper and gives more medical coverage, especially emergency transport. The 30k Disney covers for transport won’t get you very far. Allianz will cover pre-existing health conditions with some policies if you purchase the policy within 14 days of making a deposit. We need this since many policies do not cover pre-existing conditions. A pre-existing condition can be a very broad definition (have to read each policy for their definition) such as you take prescription for it or have seen a doctor for it within 6 months prior to cruising. And last DCL insurance doesnt cover anything other than the cruise itself. So flights, Disney stay before or after, hotels before or after are excluded. We start our coverage the day we leave our house and end it the day we get back to our house.

want to feel like I have the option to cancel if a bad hurricane is going to interfere with our trip or itinerary.
Once a storm is “named” it is unlikely you could file a claim to cancel unless you are directly in the path. Likewise if DCL modifies the itinerary but still sails. Sometimes with a big change (New England/Canada instead of Bahamas) then DCL will offer a cancel or rebook.

I strongly suggest contacting the potential insurers to ask some specific questions of your “what if” scenarios. Most are happy to answer and explain their coverage.

DCL’s CFAR only kicks in (as a cruise credit with an expiration) if the insurance denies your claim.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter