Altering or re-covering a post bound album

laura&fam

Your stunned silence is very reassuring
Has anyone ever covered a post bound album or altered one? I typically buy the 3 post screw type albums, no particular brand. I want to scrap my recent Legoland trip but there aren't any Lego or Legoland albums that I can find so I thought I could make my own.

Any thoughts, ideas or tips?

Are you doing a leather/leatherish cover? I used to do that style and buy the solid color albums. What I'd do on the cover was put on stickers. They have stayed through the years (I just checked one album and it was done 10 years ago).

For one of my Vegas albums I put a stick in the center that was the "Welcome to Las Vegas" sign. Then on the bottom I put a sticker strip that was slot machines. In one top corner I put a blackjack hand of cards and in the other corner i put a pile of chips. Nothing elaborate but it adds something.

If the cover of the album is a fabric type material (like the old Creative Memory albums) I'd think you could do the same thing.

Thanks. I didn't think stickers would be that durable.

I had considered covering the entire thing with Lego paper but that may be more work than I want to do.

You might have luck with Mod Podge to hold things on - though I'm not sure how it works on a leather/vinyl cover.

I wouldn't expect stickers to hold that well either. I've had some fall off the papers inside my page protectors, so I'd be wary of using them on the outside!

Oh I'm so sorry to be a parade rainer, but please don't cover with paper. I mod podged a 12x12 post-bound album and it did not hold up :-(. Not only did the paper start wearing on the outside but the modpodge feels slightly sticky to the touch. It was bad enough I bought a new album.

Now that said, I think there are brown paper covered albums that are designed for this purpose that might work better? Also, maybe my mistake was covering the entire front of the album. Possibly if you spelled the word LEGO cut out if the Lego paper and sealed those letters with modpodge it would work.

You might also have luck using that supersticky pink adhesive-do you know what I'm talking about-it comes in different width rolls as well as 8x10 sheets. You could use to actually adhere thin Lego baseplates or other thin pieces. I have used stickers on outside of albums. The ones that work best are stickers that lie completely flat. I sometimes reinforce the factory stick of stickers with that pink tape I described.

Another option is an album with a peekaboo window on the front cover to where you could use the Lego paper to show through.

So fun you get to do Lego album! Enjoy the memories as you work on your awesome project!!! :-)

Oooooh! What about a bright Lego-color fabric album! You could use Lego bricks as "stamps" and stamp that design with fabric paint? Could use different color paints? And if you are a decent artist, you could do line drawings of mini figs?

Or with the stamping idea, you could use Stayz On ink on vinyl albums.

Maybe a Sharpie would work for that too. Good luck. Jealous of such a fun trip and project! Have fun! Let us know what you eventually end up doing and how it works out :-)

Thanks for the ideas.

Fabric might hold up better since I had hoped to cover most of the album. Stamps are a great idea too. I saw an idea where someone used a Lego brick in fabric paint to stamp on material. I'll have to think about it. I have plenty of time since I took sooo many pictures the album is going to take me a long time to finish!

I wouldn't expect stickers to hold that well either. I've had some fall off the papers inside my page protectors, so I'd be wary of using them on the outside!

I just rechecked my albums and I have 4 that are still on perfectly, no corners lift. These are just regular leatherette 12x12's that are Hobby Lobby brand. I noticed on one of the albums I even cut out a rectangle in card stock and adhered that to the cover and still on great. I assume I ran that through my Xyron as it has no give like it would have it I would have used photo splits or tape runner.

I just rechecked my albums and I have 4 that are still on perfectly, no corners lift. These are just regular leatherette 12x12's that are Hobby Lobby brand. I noticed on one of the albums I even cut out a rectangle in card stock and adhered that to the cover and still on great. I assume I ran that through my Xyron as it has no give like it would have it I would have used photo splits or tape runner.

Cool!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter