Am I crazy to try and plan a trip in 3 weeks?

I would absolutely just go for it. Life is short! You can find ADR at the last minute and fast passes will be available. Take breaks from the heat.
Winging it and heat are small prices to pay to be at Disney!

Go for it! Sometimes last minute trips are the best. Unrelated to Disney but related to impromptu trips, DH wanted to go to Sequoia National Park last weekend. We decided to take a day trip a few days before. It was such a blast! Have fun! :woohoo:

Not nuts at all! Might be a couple of FPs, you can't get (FOP, FEA etc) , but you can work around it and if you are really lucky, you might even pick up a cancellation. Aside from a few, we have been able to pick up FPs for most everything a day or two in advance, when we decide to switch park days around.

You're not nuts - go for it!! We once booked a last minute mid-December trip just 3 weeks ahead and we had a blast! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!

We were supposed to vacation in Niagara Falls this summer
Yesterday DS (20) said we should go to WDW
Of course DD (14) was all for it
We havent been as a family in 3 years.
DD was at WDW last February, my mom lives near there

The pricing isnt bad. We even got decent airfare, which i booked on points so I can cancel if need be
Secured a Sci Fi lunch (our favorite)
My main concern are fast pass availability.
We've gone in August so we know about crowds and heat
Am i nuts?
Just set your expectations knowing all the things you've listed.

I could go to WDW and not go on a single "E ticket" attraction and still have a wonderful time.

Go for it! Just keep checking for FPs in case anyone cancels and use RD for anything you can't get. I think it's 100% worth it!

We went this year in March, one of the busiest weeks of the year, on 2 weeks notice! We got every fastpass we wanted, we didn't care about 7 Dwarves or Frozen, but literally got everything else on the days we needed them. You just have to be flexible with timing, you can't do a minute-by-minute plan, just a "day" plan.

Even if you don't ride everything, there's still so much to see.

Go to Future World at the end of the day, Toy Story Land after dark, Magic Kingdom rides during fireworks and parades. You can get a lot done!!

Good to see so many last minute trip planners!

Oldest kid got home from her fall DCP Jan 6th. Feb 28th got a "mom I miss Disney text" while I was at work. Idly looked at rooms (snagged great rate at Undercover tourist)/airfare (hello! Frontier $49-59 fares!) over lunch break. Booked next day (after convincing hubs)-18 days after that text we were in Orlando. Supposedly a busy time with spring break. The 2 of us had a fabulous time! I have an AP and her roommate from the program was still there with lots of comp tickets for DD to use so it wasn't even that expensive of a trip! Well-except for F&G booths :rolleyes1. Got most of the FP we wanted, or using EMH we got the rest. Even got FoP FP!

Have a fabulous time!! Sometimes the least planned trips are the most fun!!

You'll be in the parks which is exciting in and of itself.

On our last trip, we spent a week at WDW, with 4 park days, and didn't advance schedule any dining reservations or fast passes at all. We'd wake up, decide which park we wanted to go to, and on the way to the park, we'd schedule fast passes and maybe a TS meal. We ended up eating at Tusker House, San Angel Inn, 50's Primetime, Hollywood & Vine, and Cape May Cafe. The only rides we didn't ride were Navi River Journey (line way too long for a boat ride), or Seven Dwarves Mine Train (did it once on a prior trip...lines were too long without a fast pass this time).

It's always a great time at Disney (though this last trip was the least fun since we stayed on-site and we prefer off site).

You won’t have an issue with FP for the most part. I do last minute day trips all the time, and apart from the mine train and FOP, I can usually get decent FPs even the night before, or morning of. (Learning to refresh the FP screen has been the best. People’s plans change all the time, particularly at MK you can score some pretty great FPs, even day of)

You're not nuts. We planned a trip in 8 days in April and it was great! Got FP for everything except 7DMT!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter