'AMA 'AMA to reopen Fall 2022

We missed this so much on both our trips last year and excited to get a reservation first of December. But now a little disappointed. In the meantime we sort of fell in love with the restaurants at the four seasons…. Will give it a try again…. But I’m not so excited about the entrees.

We missed this so much on both our trips last year and excited to get a reservation first of December. But now a little disappointed. In the meantime we sort of fell in love with the restaurants at the four seasons…. Will give it a try again…. But I’m not so excited about the entrees.
It’s also very very pricey, more so even than Mina’s, which we love, along with Noe at the Four Seasons as well, and Longhi’s at the Marriott. I’m used to paying for nice meals in Hawaii, and love Aulani, but we’re not fans of Makahiki (for us not worth it), and don’t want to be disappointed again by another prix fixe restaurant on property.

Now I’m having second thoughts about booking a reservation at Ama Ama for our stay in early December. I just don’t want to throw $300 down the drain for a dinner my wife and I might not like!

It’s also very very pricey, more so even than Mina’s...
It's very close. I priced out four courses at Mina's and came to $114 versus 'AMA 'AMA's $125. If you got the Kobe ribeye at 'AMA 'AMA, I think you'd come out ahead. Of course, the problem is that prix fixe screws you over if you don't actually want four courses, and I have no idea what the relative portion sizes are.

I agree with you on prix fixe. I don't think either restaurant should be prix fixe, let alone both. It should be buffet at Makahiki and a la carte at 'AMA 'AMA.

It's very close. I priced out four courses at Mina's and came to $114 versus 'AMA 'AMA's $125. If you got the Kobe ribeye at 'AMA 'AMA, I think you'd come out ahead. Of course, the problem is that prix fixe screws you over if you don't actually want four courses, and I have no idea what the relative portion sizes are.

I agree with you on prix fixe. I don't think either restaurant should be prix fixe, let alone both. It should be buffet at Makahiki and a la carte at 'AMA 'AMA.
Yep. And, you called it, we don’t want the four courses and usually don’t have dessert. And, for us, Makahiki just wasn’t good enough. And if we gamble $300 on having a sensational dinner at Ama Ama, I fear the chances are that we would think it was pretty good but not great, and wish we ate at Off The Hook instead, which always delivers. I wish Disney would offer some sort of a la carte option for Ama Ama to give interested but somewhat hesitant guests a chance to try the place out.

Another place we love is Waterman at the Four Seasons. Amazing outdoor space near the ocean and delicious food. But last May they turned us away twice because we weren’t staying at the Four Seasons, in spite of there being very few people there and plenty of table space. It was embarrassing! We felt like we were the riff raff next door being politely shooed away.

We ate there last night and thought it was really good. We started with the venison and squash (soup) which were really good. We moved on to the He'e which was awesome and the Ahi which was good. There was a bread service as well that had 3 types and was available for refills.

Entrees we did the ravioli ( which has nice chunks of lobster) and the ribeye. Both were excellent. I will say the ribeye is pre sliced and not huge. It was plenty of food for us in the grand scheme of the meal, but some might order it expecting a huge steak.

Desert was the most average course. The flan was good, but the mousse disappointed. It was something you'd find at a WDW desert party. Nothing special.

All in all with drinks and tip we were right at $400. The overall meal was excellent and service was outstanding. While I prefer the old ala cart menu and pricetag, the refreshed Ama Ama was very good.

We are eating here again this saturday so will report back as we'll be trying all new things.

We ate there last night and thought it was really good. We started with the venison and squash (soup) which were really good. We moved on to the He'e which was awesome and the Ahi which was good. There was a bread service as well that had 3 types and was available for refills.

Entrees we did the ravioli ( which has nice chunks of lobster) and the ribeye. Both were excellent. I will say the ribeye is pre sliced and not huge. It was plenty of food for us in the grand scheme of the meal, but some might order it expecting a huge steak.

Desert was the most average course. The flan was good, but the mousse disappointed. It was something you'd find at a WDW desert party. Nothing special.

All in all with drinks and tip we were right at $400. The overall meal was excellent and service was outstanding. While I prefer the old ala cart menu and pricetag, the refreshed Ama Ama was very good.

We are eating here again this saturday so will report back as we'll be trying all new things.
Thanks for the quick review! Was there live music?

We had a 530 reservation and a wedding had the area in front of Ama Ama until about 7pm. Once that wrapped up they did have live music. It was a beautiful night
I think I’m getting cold feet with Ama Ama. I’m all for splurging in Hawaii, but I know of great restaurants in Honolulu where the tab could be $400, but my wife and I are pretty much assured of a good meal. Considering our experience with Makahiki, I’m not sure I’m ready to give Ama Ama the benefit of the doubt yet. And the pre fixe menu is starting to feel like a money grab.

We’ll probably have more fun having sushi in The Olelo Room one or two nights listening to the live music.

And, who knows, maybe I’ll change my mind in a few weeks and give Ama Ama a try!

We'll, after 3 nights of eating elsewhere...including Makahiki, Roy's, and Ole Room sushi...we decided to cancel our second night at Ama Ama. While the food was very good...I'm not confident in my initial impression that's it's worth the pricetag.

Last edited:
We'll, after 3 nights of eating elsewhere...including Makahiki, Roy's, and Ole Room sushi...we decided to cancel our second night if Ama Ama. While the food was very good...I'm not confident in my initial impression that's it's worth the pricetag.
Sometimes, a little distance leads to additional clarity! I’m sure at some point my wife and I will give Ama Ama a try, just not sure if it’ll be when we’re there in a few weeks.

But thank you for the update! Did you like Roy’s? We’ve been disappointed the last couple times and don’t plan on going back. I hear the one in Kahala, where Roy evidently lives nearby, is much better.

Sometimes, a little distance leads to additional clarity! I’m sure at some point my wife and I will give Ama Ama a try, just not sure if it’ll be when we’re there in a few weeks.

But thank you for the update! Did you like Roy’s? We’ve been disappointed the last couple times and don’t plan on going back. I hear the one in Kahala, where Roy evidently lives nearby, is much better.
We did like Roy's. We had a few fish dishes as well as their ribs....which I could eat a giant plate of just myself.

Ordinary Adventures did an Ama Ama video - looks great. Though (personally) I remain skeptical of venison tartare!

Ordinary Adventures did an Ama Ama video - looks great. Though (personally) I remain skeptical of venison tartare!
I'm a huge tartare fan as well as someone who LOVES venison. It was good but not up to par for the pricetag of this menu....and was slightly bland. I order a steak tartare every chance I get...but I wouldn't order this again. The squash a soup on the other hand....was awesome.

I'm a huge tartare fan as well as someone who LOVES venison. It was good but not up to par for the pricetag of this menu....and was slightly bland. I order a steak tartare every chance I get...but I wouldn't order this again. The squash a soup on the other hand....was awesome.
I love venison. And I love fish tartare. But venison tartare is a no for me!!

So many other things looked delicious from their meal though!

My mom and I ate here a few weeks ago (mid-December) and we loved our meal. It's hard to say if it was "worth" the high price, but we're glad we splurged on the meal. Everything was delicious, the food was beautifully presented (if you care about that), the service was great, and we loved the view (we had 5pm reservations and saw the sunset). I would defintiely eat there again next time we're at Aulani.

There was live music, but it was technically part of a private event happening out front. On another night, we passed by and there was live music that wasn't part of a private event.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter