• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

American Airline - confusion on prices

mistole

Earning My Ears
I've been looking for airfare through Hotwire. Instead of entering everyone's info, I just searched for fights for 1 person to get a price. The price for main cabin was $336. The website says "7 tickets left at this price". When I went back later and entered 5 people (2 adults, 3 kids - all needing seats), the price increased to $456 per ticket. Why is this happening?

Also - is booking main cabin the only way to select your seats on American? That ticket also comes with a carry on for each person. I really don't want to have to deal with 3 kids, and all of our carry ones in the airport. I would rather check a couple of bags. But I don't want to run the risk that we won't be seated together (at least 2 together and 3 together). Kids are 10, 6, and 6, so I don't want any of them to end up on their own.

Always search for airfare in an incognito tab so it doesn't save cookies; otherwise the prices will go up every time you look. Try looking on skyscanner.com rather than Hotwire, as well.

Main cabin or better is the only way to pick your seats,economy will be assigned at the gate.
your best to search and book flights direct through the airline,prices do fluctuate.

Your bit about carry ons has me a tad confused but.
I don't know of any airlines other than southwest who allow you to check bags for free. American Airlines is not telling you you can ONLY have carry ons, just that you won't be charged for them. Some places do that now.
So your kids don't have to bring carry one, but you will have to pay $30 or $40 per person if everyone checks luggage.
Also checked luggage and carry ons don't have anything to do with seat assignments

Your bit about carry ons has me a tad confused but.
I don't know of any airlines other than southwest who allow you to check bags for free. American Airlines is not telling you you can ONLY have carry ons, just that you won't be charged for them. Some places do that now.
So your kids don't have to bring carry one, but you will have to pay $30 or $40 per person if everyone checks luggage.
Also checked luggage and carry ons don't have anything to do with seat assignments

if you have airline branded credit cards or a certain level of status, you can usually check a bag free. Or if you are active military. Or traveling internationally. Or traveling at a higher fare class (ie business or first class or even some premium economy fares).

if you have airline branded credit cards or a certain level of status, you can usually check a bag free. Or if you are active military. Or traveling internationally. Or traveling at a higher fare class (ie business or first class or even some premium economy fares).

Yes. But the question is not asking about that. So i did not feel it relevant to break down every possible exception and detract from the point

Go to the anerican web site directly. Or find the flights you like on any site like Hotwire and then go directly to that airline to see if there is any difference. I rarely find a difference. But you will still need to pay for luggage unless you have status with the airline or you have a special credit card. Also most airlines require you to book above ‘basic’ to select seats in advance.

Or find the flights you like on any site like Hotwire and then go directly to that airline to see if there is any difference. I rarely find a difference.
I have used that approach dozens of times, and I have NEVER found a cheaper price on a travel site. The travel sites offer the lowest fares the airlines have in effect, but I have never found them lower than what the airline charges direct on their website.

But there is one big difference, which is occasionally a huge difference.

The airline sites (and I use American 90% of the time) always have a MUCH broader choice of flights. I'm not talking one additional option -- I mean 8, 10, 20 more choices. AA.com sometimes has non-stop flights for the same price as cheap connecting flights on the travel sites.

I recently booked our summer vacation to Alaska and was able to get good fares and good scheduling both MIA-SEA going out and Anchorage-LAX-MIA coming home. I also had a great selection of seating choices on every flight.

I've been looking for airfare through Hotwire. Instead of entering everyone's info, I just searched for fights for 1 person to get a price. The price for main cabin was $336. The website says "7 tickets left at this price". When I went back later and entered 5 people (2 adults, 3 kids - all needing seats), the price increased to $456 per ticket. Why is this happening?
Because other Hotwire customers bought some of those 7 seats.

But don't pay any attention to Hotwire or any other travel site. THEY have 7 seats left to sell on that flight, at that price -- but American may have 37. BOOK on AA.com.

Also - is booking main cabin the only way to select your seats on American?
I believe so, yes. If in doubt, call American and ask. DON'T book via phone because there is a service charge, but they will answer any questions you have.

If you want to sit together, or even select your seats, don't play games. Book regular main cabin seating.

Does the airline sell a certain amount of seats at a cheaper rate? I looked at the flights directly on AAs website. When I search for 1 person, I get $386. But when i search for 5 people, it jumps to $501 per person.

Yes, airlines have pricing tiers. Try four, three, two tickets. But the highest number possible. Then buy the rest of the tickets at the next lowest price.

Yes, airlines have pricing tiers. Try four, three, two tickets. But the highest number possible. Then buy the rest of the tickets at the next lowest price.

Good idea! Since I'll be picking seats, I guess they don't have to all be purchased on the same transaction. Is checkin more complicated if we purchase in multiple transactions? Since there's 2 adults and 3 kids, I'm assuming I can only purchase in 2 transactions (putting one adult on each transaction).

Also - is booking main cabin the only way to select your seats on American? That ticket also comes with a carry on for each person. I really don't want to have to deal with 3 kids, and all of our carry ones in the airport. I would rather check a couple of bags. But I don't want to run the risk that we won't be seated together (at least 2 together and 3 together). Kids are 10, 6, and 6, so I don't want any of them to end up on their own.

many airlines have created a lower tier of tickets. That tier is for people *who match the criteria of that ticket.*

for those who want to check bags, this tier isn’t for them (unless they have a cc that gives rhem free bags). Without that cc, don’t book basic economy.

for those who do not wish to be separated from their party, this tier isn’t for them. They need to book the tier that they wound have naturally booked before this new lower tier was created.

basic economy was created for those who don’t need checked bags included and don’t mind sitting apart from their party.

When I need to be allowed to check a bag, or when I want to sit with my son, I don’t even LOOK at the BE tier. It’s not for me.

Agree. I am normally booking three tickets for our flights, and I don't think I've ever seen a difference between the price for one vs three on American.

Just play with it a little and get the best total price you can.

Yes.
The cheapest rate does not let you pick your seat and has several other restrictions.
Upgrading to the "main cabin", same area, but you can pick your seats costs more, but for us, is worth the difference in price.
In the past, we have booked our flights through Orbitz. This time several flights we knew existed, didn't show up on their website, so had to book through American Airlines site. Interestingly same price, but more flight options.

In the past, we have booked our flights through Orbitz. This time several flights we knew existed, didn't show up on their website, so had to book through American Airlines site. Interestingly same price, but more flight options.
In my experience, with American at least, that is ALWAYS the case. Always numerous flight options for the same price, especially if you are flying between two major cities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter