American headed to Brisbane!

Most electronics have chargers these days that can handle both. Just check the little numbers. We have an american guest with us at the moment and so far all her electronics bar 1 has plugged in without frying (with just an adaptor and no converter). The one that didn't fry we never plugged in...just in case you were wondering!!!

Might also be worth contacting the hotel you are staying at. In Australia, many hotels will have a shaver power socket in the bathroom that takes a variety of 2 prong plugs.
As shushh said, almost anything you want to charge like a laptop, digital camera, phone, etc will handle dual voltage, but do check (as you mentioned, your phone in Prague didn't)! Hairdryers, unless they are a travel hairdryer usually DON'T cope with the 240V voltage. Many hotels will have a hairdryer in the bathroom anyway, so you can ask about that with the shaver socket question :)

There are US-Aust plug adapter in my local Coles (sort of like WalMart) so they shouldn't be tooooo hard to find. I'd say bring your voltage converter from your UK set and get an appropriate adaptor plug when you find one, at home, at an airport, in Australia, you will find one somewhere :)

Hi everyone,

Hope it's ok to add onto this thread, as my question (my initial one anyway) is basically the same :goodvibes

I've got a work trip coming up in august (4th - 19th) and I'm staying somewhere in Brisbane (not 100% sure where yet as they've not booked the hotel but I'm fairly positive it will be in Brisbane itself (not the Gold Coast like the original poster).

Can anybody recommend me something(s) I can do over my two weekends? I won't have a car or similar, so I'll be dependent upon public transport.

Hey mates. Thanks for all of your advice. We arrived home yesterday after an AMAZING trip! :thumbsup2 I’m working on my blog now. I’ll post a link once I have some pics up.

Hi everyone,

Hope it's ok to add onto this thread, as my question (my initial one anyway) is basically the same :goodvibes

I've got a work trip coming up in august (4th - 19th) and I'm staying somewhere in Brisbane (not 100% sure where yet as they've not booked the hotel but I'm fairly positive it will be in Brisbane itself (not the Gold Coast like the original poster).

Can anybody recommend me something(s) I can do over my two weekends? I won't have a car or similar, so I'll be dependent upon public transport.

There are lots of day trips or weekend trips you can do from Brisbane.

You could do a day trip to Australia Zoo (there is the Croc Express that leaves from Brisbane City). You could also take a day trip down to the Gold Coast (there is a train that makes it a little easier). You could head south to the Coast and go to Dreamworld for the day or even Movie World (but I prefer Dreamworld). There is also Seaworld but that is longer away from the train station, but there may be a bus or shuttle from the train to take you to Seaworld. Our parks are not as good as the US parks but we don't have the population like they do in the US to support their massive parks, they are still good for a day though. There may be day tours to the theme parks from Brisbane hotels or from the Coomera or Helensvale train stations.

There is also Whale Watching at the moment. I am not sure if the season is still in August. My mother went out with friends last weekend and said it is absolutely amazing! I am sure there would be tours from Brisbane that would head either north (maybe to Hervey Bay) or south to the Gold Coast for Whale Watching tours that would pick up from Brisbane hotels.

There may be a tour to the wine company Sirromet, I believe it is beautiful out there and they have a great wine and beautiful restaurant.

I'll keep my thinking cap on if I think of anything else.

Hey mates. Thanks for all of your advice. We arrived home yesterday after an AMAZING trip! :thumbsup2 I’m working on my blog now. I’ll post a link once I have some pics up.

Welcome Home Amy! Glad you had a great trip. Looking forward to reading all about it :goodvibes

There are lots of day trips or weekend trips you can do from Brisbane.

You could do a day trip to Australia Zoo (there is the Croc Express that leaves from Brisbane City). You could also take a day trip down to the Gold Coast (there is a train that makes it a little easier). You could head south to the Coast and go to Dreamworld for the day or even Movie World (but I prefer Dreamworld). There is also Seaworld but that is longer away from the train station, but there may be a bus or shuttle from the train to take you to Seaworld. Our parks are not as good as the US parks but we don't have the population like they do in the US to support their massive parks, they are still good for a day though. There may be day tours to the theme parks from Brisbane hotels or from the Coomera or Helensvale train stations.

There is also Whale Watching at the moment. I am not sure if the season is still in August. My mother went out with friends last weekend and said it is absolutely amazing! I am sure there would be tours from Brisbane that would head either north (maybe to Hervey Bay) or south to the Gold Coast for Whale Watching tours that would pick up from Brisbane hotels.

There may be a tour to the wine company Sirromet, I believe it is beautiful out there and they have a great wine and beautiful restaurant.

I'll keep my thinking cap on if I think of anything else.

Thanks - to be honest I've no clue what's there at all, so any information is useful :)

Australia zoo sounds good - it'll give me an excuse to get my camera out. As for theme parks - as I'm a uk citizen, I'm used to parks that are "small".

Thanks - to be honest I've no clue what's there at all, so any information is useful :)

Australia zoo sounds good - it'll give me an excuse to get my camera out. As for theme parks - as I'm a uk citizen, I'm used to parks that are "small".

Here are a couple of websites with info on day tours, you could also do a search on other things to do around Brisbane.

http://www.brisbane.visitorsbureau.com.au/tours.html
http://www.ourbrisbane.com/see-and-...4beba6a70cf&form_id=ob_atdw_tours_search_form

If you did do a theme park and not get to Australia Zoo, Dreamworld would be the best one as they do have an Australian wildlife area where you can feed the kangaroos and have a photo with a Koala and lots of shows and demonstrations and Tiger Island (as well as great rides)
http://www.dreamworld.com.au

Hey everyone! I’ve got the first part of my trip up on my blog. It covers the first half of Australia. Check it out if you get a chance. It’s pretty basic.
We had a fabulous time in Australia! I’m about 99% sure we will go back again next year! Also, Aussietravellers be sure to check out my NY blog posts, you might get some ideas for your upcoming trip.
http://amyandjasonallen.blogspot.com

Hey everyone! I’ve got the first part of my trip up on my blog. It covers the first half of Australia. Check it out if you get a chance. It’s pretty basic.
We had a fabulous time in Australia! I’m about 99% sure we will go back again next year! Also, Aussietravellers be sure to check out my NY blog posts, you might get some ideas for your upcoming trip.
http://amyandjasonallen.blogspot.com

Thanks so much for posting your blog Amy, that is fantastic. I'm so glad you had a great time in Australia, I hope the weather wasn't too cool for you, it's pretty cool here at the moment.

I loved reading about NY too. I am so glad you mentioned the mall at Central Park. I am wanting to go for a walk there and the only thing I knew was that it was this tree lined area that's in lots of movies and tv shows and I had no idea how we would find it, but now we know what it is called. Magnolia bakery is a must do stop for us too and TOTR looks great, I am thinking that we will just do that and not the Empire State Building. The views from TOTR look amazing.

Anyway I really enjoyed reading about your journey, thanks for posting :goodvibes

Hey guys. I put some more pics up on my blog if youre interested.
http://http://amyandjasonallen.blogspot.com/
Great blog...glad you enjoyed yourself :)
Hope you come back sometime and explore other parts of Australia!! :woohoo:

Just a comment on Aussie slang
chips = fries
crisps = chips????
Err...no we don't call them crisps. Only British say that. :lmao:
Chips can be hot chips/fries or chips.

And some spelling (because we spell them this way in emails etc) :lmao: :rotfl:
uni = University
Maccas = McDonalds

Oh and finally...to complete the set
scone = biscuit...sort of.

:wave:

Just a comment on Aussie slang
chips = fries
crisps = chips????
Err...no we don't call them crisps. Only British say that. :lmao:
Chips can be hot chips/fries or chips.

LOL - Sorry. We were at a convenience store looking for "chips" and finally found a bag that said "potato crisps" so I thought that was the name. :rotfl2:
And YES - we do plan to return and see more of Australia. :goodvibes If we get to do the trip again next year we will spend a day in Sydney AND we might get to check out New Castle too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter