Amex Platinum Question

twinmom2002

Mouseketeer
We have an amex blue cash, but today when I logged in it said we are pre-approved for the platinum card. There is a 60,000 membership rewards point offer. The annual fee seems pretty steep. Is there any reason to get the platinum? Do you still get 6% back at grocery stores etc? Any information or input would be gratefully accepted!

It's actually $550, I think. I don't have the card but I think that is what I remembering reading!

Wow! DH and I have gotten several "invitations" to apply for the card and we toss them in the shred pile. The fee is way too high.

Wow! DH and I have gotten several "invitations" to apply for the card and we toss them in the shred pile. The fee is way too high.

It’s not a card I’ve found that I want yet. The 100k signup bonus might tempt me as that would cover the annual fee plus some but the 60k bonus isn’t tempting enough.

I’m ok with the annual fee if the card benefits are really good and earns well in my spending categories. This card just doesn’t fit my needs very well.

I have the Amex platinum and I love it. The fee is steep, but it can be worth it depending on your spending and travel habits. Why i think it's worth it:

- $200 annual Uber credits. $15/month plus an extra $20 in December - I use this no problem
- $200 in airline incidental credits - seat upgrades, luggage, etc. Also works on certain airline gift cards. Also use this benefit 100%

So, that's $400 right there. Then on top of that, you get access to Delta lounges, Centurion Club lounges, Priority Pass lounges. I just used the Centurion Club in Miami today - my husband and I had 2-3 drinks each and we ate lunch, for example. I fly Delta a lot for work so this benefit is useful for me.You also get 5x points on airfare purchased directly from airlines - my next most lucrative card earns 3x. We've never used it, but you also have access to the Fine Hotel and Resorts program, which give certain benefits.

You have access to the Amex concierge service, which is how I scored Hamilton tickets for face value last year.

Add to that travel protection like lost luggage reimbursement, travel interruption/delay insurance, price protection, and purchase protection for damage/loss, and the card is definitely worth it for me. Again, depends on your own habits and tastes.

I have the Amex platinum and I love it. The fee is steep, but it can be worth it depending on your spending and travel habits. Why i think it's worth it:

- $200 annual Uber credits. $15/month plus an extra $20 in December - I use this no problem
- $200 in airline incidental credits - seat upgrades, luggage, etc. Also works on certain airline gift cards. Also use this benefit 100%

So, that's $400 right there. Then on top of that, you get access to Delta lounges, Centurion Club lounges, Priority Pass lounges. I just used the Centurion Club in Miami today - my husband and I had 2-3 drinks each and we ate lunch, for example. I fly Delta a lot for work so this benefit is useful for me.You also get 5x points on airfare purchased directly from airlines - my next most lucrative card earns 3x. We've never used it, but you also have access to the Fine Hotel and Resorts program, which give certain benefits.

You have access to the Amex concierge service, which is how I scored Hamilton tickets for face value last year.

Add to that travel protection like lost luggage reimbursement, travel interruption/delay insurance, price protection, and purchase protection for damage/loss, and the card is definitely worth it for me. Again, depends on your own habits and tastes.

All of this! Also add in SPG (and transfer to Marriott) Gold status as well as (?Hilton...I'm an SPG primarily). Those are little things that can make a hotel stay nicer.

I use the Amex Platinum in these ways:
- to book airfare so that's 5X Membership Rewards which I'll eventually convert to Delta Skymiles.
-the $200 airline incidental fees credit come in handy with 4x$50 gift cards which I then gift to family members
-the SkyClub lounges (I use and enjoy a lot)
-I try to stay primarily at SPG so automatically Gold
-not a lot of Uber use but the credits there are also helpful
-in 3 years when my Global Entry expires it will be covered
-for another $175, 3 AUs (which equals three skyclub memberships...we definitely get our money's worth there, too)

So for me, definitely worth it. But, everyone is different. My DH abhors carrying a card with an AF, but doesn't complain at all when he can use his Platinum AU card to get into the skyclub!

Last edited:

Those are great benefits. It's great you can take advantage of them. We would use very few of them, so the card would not be worthwhile for us.

The regular version of the Platinum card charges for additional cards holders; $175 for three additional cards. Some versions, however, include a second card in the base fee. That allows a second person to take advantage of the Global Entry rebate. And, in my experience, that rebate can be used more often than every five years.

DH has the platinum card and we more than get our money's worth. He travels a lot, and gets a lot of use of the lounges, love the Centurion lounge at SFO, he can even take a shower there before boarding our usual red eye flight to Orlando, while I enjoy food and cocktails. We stayed at the Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal using the Fine Hotels and Resorts program and got early check in, 4 pm guaranteed check out, free breakfast for 2, room upgrade, and $100 food and beverage credit to use at the hotel all included.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter