Amtrak train info w/pics!All Aboard-Choo-choo!UPDATED

I have taken the train from Prov to Orlando too:thumbsup2
I do not know your trains arrival time at Penn but I have never had to rush. We usually have about 40 minutes to kill-and we love walking around Penn to see the fun shops!
How many in your party? Are you getting seats only or roomette?Dates?

I'm planning for Sept. 2011. It's looking like a solo trip right now but it's a year away so that could change. If it is just me I don't think I'll go for a roomette.

Hello fellow disney lovers! Welcome to my first trip report!We just returned from 11 days with the mouse and had a dream vacation time!I will post over the next few days and add some of my 1000+ pics too!Cast of characters is-
Me-age 38
Hubby-age49
Daughter-age 17
Daughter-age 4 1/2
WE LOVE THE TRAIN!

Mine are 17, 13 & just turned 2! I'm looking forward to reading!

I often read that people don't think that they can 'do it' meaning travel by train:confused3
You CAN!! It is much less stress than driving-and to me flying!
No bag fees either!You wanna take 2 giant suitcases per person-go for it!
Seeing the sights makes it like another vacation and not just transportation! We love it!
As for the delays-yes, it has happened to me. The worst was about 6 hours late and that was 13 years ago.You are sleeping through most of the time the train is stopped so you don't realize until you wake up and find out. That I would say is a worst case situation and not as common as some lead you to believe.To see stats for yourself, do what I do and check out their report on the latest train times at http://www.amtrakdelays.com
The week before I left every train I checked was running on time or within a 1/2 hr. We arrived on time to the minute!!
I can't say enough about how much fun and stressfree it is compared with other travel!:thumbsup2

just curious about the bags. I was thinking about doing a trip on the cheap for DS's 14th bday in Novembert and it may include 1 way on the train. If you don't have a roomette, where do your bags go? I mean if you have big ones.

just curious about the bags. I was thinking about doing a trip on the cheap for DS's 14th bday in Novembert and it may include 1 way on the train. If you don't have a roomette, where do your bags go? I mean if you have big ones.

Bring a small(ish) overnight bag on the train with you and check whatever other luggage you may have. The other bags ride in the baggage car.

On the Autotrain, bring a small(ish) overnight bag with you and leave everything else in the car. The car with luggage rides in the car carriers.

as previous poster wrote-there is a baggage check on most trains. On the shorter trains without it, there is a space at the back of the cars for luggage(behind the last seats and near the bathroom). We put our 3 large suitcases there and others put their cases and car seats and other large items there as well. Never had a problem :)

Hey Lisa!
We've got our tickets-I'm leaving them at the station-I was told we would get a full refund if something happened and we weren't able to make it vs.picking up our tickets ahead of time-info. came from an Amtrak employee when I called the 800 number.
Can you think of anything else we need to do? Bought travel pillow/blanket sets for the kids, and Lysol Wipes, flushable wipes and a small can of air freshener! Any other tips?
Thanks!:thumbsup2

:banana: Yeah-tickets are bought :banana:

I have done the ticket pick up the last 2 times and it was easy. Can't wait to hear how you liked it! I had a list of things to bring/tips in one of the earlier posts ( I think you probably saw that already) but I would encourage you guys to try and sleep until about 7am if you can.:cloud9:

HAVE FUN!!!!!

We love the train too:goodvibes

We flew on our airline points (had to use 'em up) from our Halifax, NS to Boston, first thing in the morning.
Otherwise, we would drive the 12 hours.

Spent a wonderful day in BOS with our nephew and his wife - which worked out wonderfully well. They picked us up at the airport, but we could have taken a train right to their house in Revere Beach. Left our luggage there for the day, ahd a great day on BOS, and back to their house. Got the kiddies in the tub, all ready for our night train to DC.

No sleepers are available on the milk run, all nighter.

So we booked business class seats, and had the car all to ourselves.

And, we kept our luggage with us - I had packed pillows and blankets in one suitcase, and was able to make "beds" on the seats.

Everyone slept somewhat, so it wasn't too bad.

Arrived early, early early in DC.
Porter to us, and all of our gear to the first class lounge.

We grabbed some breakfast - continental type...hot tea, coffee, and juice, pastries, muffins, cereal and the like.

Left our bags in the closet with the chek-in attendant, and off we went!

Had originally planned to do the Hop on/Hop off tours, but when we realized how close everything we wanted to see was, and what a beautiful Febraury day it was, we opted to walk.

HEaded to the Capitol Building, the down the Mall to the Space Museum.

Had lunch and a terrific 5 hours there - kids :lovestrucLOVED:lovestruc it.

Walked down the Mall, towards the monument and White House.

Chatted with lots of folks along the way - what a terrific day we had.

Back to the train station, which is an attraction all on its own! :3dglassesLOL

Had supper in the Food Court downstairs, and did a little book shopping at the book store there.

Got our luggage out of the lounge and headed for our train.
Checked our bags, and told we would be late leaving.
Can we still get onboard?
Of course, and supper will be served.

Boarded our over night sleeper to KIS - we booked 2 roomettes, and directly across from each other....and here's the trick (that worked for us, anyway)
We tipped our CA when we got on the train.
I'm sure he would have been a great CA regardless, but wow! We had great service. We weren't even settled in our seats yet, and he was taking us to the Dining Car for supper.

We pulled out of the station just as we ordered our first glass of wine:goodvibes

Everything food wise was fine, not terrifically upscale, but no complaints from us.

Back to our little rooms, and voila!
We had beds! :)

Showers are available, and after all the walking we did, much needed;)

But funny!
Oh, you haven't lived until you've tried to take a shower on a moving train!

All freshened up, ready for tuck ins, DH and DS in one room, and DS and myself in the other.

Individual lights, fans, plug in for the laptop to watch a movie, and I got to read. We had our own pillows with us, but we were so tired from the day, comfort levels of the mattresses and pillows would not have mattered.

The curtains are great, and I had packed a few clothespins to hold them shut in the middle. Worked like a charm.

Snaps on the cutains on the door for privacy.

Up top, there's a small space to hold your carry-on, but that's really it for storage.

The toilet is the funkiest thing to get used to - but oh so handy!! LOL!!

In the morning, breakfast was fine, and we had asked our CA to leave the beds down in one room, and the top bunk down in the other.

That way, DH and I could rest, read and nap the morning away, with the kids playing, watching movies and a fully accessible toilet right there:thumbsup2

Had lunch while working our way through Orlando.

Kissimmee is an outdoor stop, only a small ticketing/luggage office, and a covered waiting area. And not much space for parking if someone is coming to pick you up.

What a fabulous start to our WDW vacation.
We arrived well rested, well fed and happy - and hit the parks full tilt that afternoon!!

I wish I had pics to show you - instead of pressing EXIT on the album menu on the camera, DH hit delete...but we have our memories!! LOL!

We flew back to BOS on JetBlue, and then jumped back on our points redemption flight.

Great trip!!

Hope this helps someone in planning...we are so taking the train again...BOS-NYC this time...or maybe the Auto Train...or... LOL!!

:)

sounds like a great trip:banana:

I love being in the dining car as you pull out of the station too!
You also said it all when you wrote about being well fed and RESTED to hit the parks full tilt. I cannot say enough about that! If you drive through and arrive thinking that you can hit the parks full tilt-good luck! The train is the way to go!

Boarded our over night sleeper to KIS - we booked 2 roomettes, and directly across from each other....and here's the trick (that worked for us, anyway)
We tipped our CA when we got on the train.
I'm sure he would have been a great CA regardless, but wow! We had great service. We weren't even settled in our seats yet, and he was taking us to the Dining Car for supper.

I've taken the train with a sleeper a couple time (love it!) and have always found the attendants to be very polite and helpful even when not tipping in advance (we tip at the end).

Showers are available, and after all the walking we did, much needed;)

But funny!
Oh, you haven't lived until you've tried to take a shower on a moving train!

I have to agree with this, it's quite a challenge! I try to start my shower when we are stopped at a station so you at least get a little time until things start moving.

The train from NYC to Boston is nice since route runs right along the southern edge of Connecticut at some points literally right at the edge of the water, which gives your some beautiful views.

Dan

They do have taxis available at Orlando. But with close to 50 dollars one way to Disney...I usually just book a car service to pick me up and then take me back at the end of my trip

We will be cruising nx April leaving from port canaveral and will be taking the train from nyc to orlando -- it will be about ten of us and basically my question is would you rent a van or hire one of those transportation company.

Thanks!

We booked a bedroom car last night for our trip next August. DS and I will be heading to Fort Lauderdale to spend a few days with my sister before driving up to Orlando and meeting up with DH who will be flying in. (We will all fly home). We were able to reserve the bedroom using DH's reward points due to his commute and other travel. (Finally something good comes out of DH being gone so much! :laughing:)

We will have a couple of big suitcases and a carryon. I assume we will have to check the larger suitcases? I am also assuming there must be enough time for our suitcases to 'get off the train' from whereever they are when we stop? That is my only concern about the train trip. I am actually really looking forward to it, almost as much as seeing the World again!

We booked a bedroom car last night for our trip next August. DS and I will be heading to Fort Lauderdale to spend a few days with my sister before driving up to Orlando and meeting up with DH who will be flying in. (We will all fly home). We were able to reserve the bedroom using DH's reward points due to his commute and other travel. (Finally something good comes out of DH being gone so much! :laughing:)

We will have a couple of big suitcases and a carryon. I assume we will have to check the larger suitcases? I am also assuming there must be enough time for our suitcases to 'get off the train' from whereever they are when we stop? That is my only concern about the train trip. I am actually really looking forward to it, almost as much as seeing the World again!

I've stayed in the Roomettes and there is enough room in there for two large rolling suitcases (in the overhead storage area) and two small carryons. From my experience as long as you can fit the bags in the room they don't give you any problem carrying them on.

Dan

I've stayed in the Roomettes and there is enough room in there for two large rolling suitcases (in the overhead storage area) and two small carryons. From my experience as long as you can fit the bags in the room they don't give you any problem carrying them on.

Dan

Great to know, thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter