an AP finally gives in and buys G+ but still misses FP+

ucf_knight

DIS Veteran
Having served as Annual Passholders for many years, we deeply felt the absence of FP+. I was very skeptical about purchasing G+ as I believed it didn't match up, in my opinion, to the excellent experience offered by the previously free FP+. However, during our recent visit on the weekend of 12/22, I decided to give it a shot.

As a family of four frequent park-goers, our usual routine involved arriving early at the park, experiencing 4-6 rides (including 3 pre-booked headliners with FP+), having lunch, and then heading back to our resort. Nighttime park visits were not in the cards for us, as our kids lack the stamina for late-night events like fireworks. With FP+, we enjoyed the certainty of 3 great rides (plus whatever we can book after our 3 FP's, which we had perfected over the years) before leaving the park. However, recent visits without FP+ had become hit or miss, with frustrating waits in stand-by lines.

Our disappointing experience at Hollywood Studios during Columbus Day weekend (we didn't want to wait stand by with the extraordinary wait times, so we left the park prior to even having lunch) pushed me to try something different on our latest visit. I reluctantly opted for G+ and an ILL for Rise. Although it resulted in a reminiscent and enjoyable day akin to the old FP+ days, the $250 expense was disheartening.

We kicked off our day at HS with a rope drop, starting with a quick 5-10 minute wait at Mickey and Minnie's. Next, we utilized our first LL at Tower of Terror, followed by a 40-minute stand-by wait at Rockin. With another LL for Toy Story Mania, we then enjoyed a sit-down lunch at Mama Melrose (not good, but the decor was pleasant). Afterward, we used the LL for Alien Swirling Saucers and our ILL for Rise, all before departing before 1:30. Without G+ and the ILL, achieving this efficient itinerary wouldn't have been possible.

We certainly could've done even more had we stayed longer in the park but since we go so often we don't ever really feel the need/want to stay too late in the parks.

Our EPCOT day the following day on 12/23 was a complete fluke as we had little wait times (we did not purchase G+ or ILL's). We rope dropped test track (40 min wait), then soarin (10 min wait), then remy's (10 min wait), ate a ton at many different food booths with little crowds, waited maybe 30 min in the VQ line for Guardians and then left for the day. That was probably our favorite day as it was not crowded/busy at all that morning but did seem to start to pick up with the crowds as we were heading out.

All in all G+ is worth a try if you've never done it but I can't imagine we'll be dropping another $250 again any time soon to have the lesser experience of what was once for free.

We've found pros and cons to the change from FP+ to G+. Of course, FP+ used to be included with your ticket or AP for the day, G+ can be quite expensive. But having used G+ several times now (we do not purchase it every park day!), we've found a couple advantages (in our opinion) over FP+ - at least how we use it. First, it's Day-Of planning, which allows for a bit more flexibility on the day we're using it (not planning out a month or 2 in advance). Second, with the help of 'modify', we'll often stack several attractions for later in the day in a park. Some nights, we'll have 4 attractions within a 2-hr period - you couldn't ever overlap time windows for attractions with FP+. We could also use G+ for multiple 'tier 1' attractions, like holding FEA and Test Track at EPCOT at the same time, which you couldn't do with FP+. With FP+, we often found ourselves scheduling an attraction we didn't care about and really didn't want to do, just so we could get past the "3" and schedule a 4th that we actually wanted to do.

Now, if the rumor/speculation/wishful-thinking is true, and they offer some sort of opportunity to pre-purchase G+ and pre-schedule an attraction or 2 - at some point in 2024. That would be a nice plus for G+, too. But looking back, there were pros and cons to the original FP (it definitely favored the younger legs who could run faster to the FP kiosks!!), pros and cons to FP+, and now pros and cons to G+. I am amazed and disappointed by how expensive it's gotten on some days, especially the really busy days. On the other hand, people are accepting the cost, buying it, and using it. So the price of G+ won't be going down dramatically anytime soon!

Your EPCOT day on 12/23 sounded amazing! Those wait times were a pleasant surprise! Glad you could enjoy the park and attractions you wanted without the extra cost of G+, and without waiting for hours in line!! We would have loved that day, too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter