An assignment for those going to WDW now thru Aug 15th...

Disney1fan2002

<font color=red>Like OMG the TF is SOO psyched to
I need a weather and crowds report. We arrive the 16th, and I am hoping with back to school, the crowds will have thinned out considerably.

I have never been in August, so I am curious just how bad the weather will be . (heat and humidity wise)

Schools in Florida legally can not start until 2 weeks befoe labor day so the first day for most areas is August 20th. I know we are going this weekend because it's the last before I have to go back to work at my school.

Weather is HOT! So hot my Air conditioner is working all day and not gaining ground. Heat index of 107 - no clouds or rain in sight. Really really hot!!!!!

We are arriving the 16th alsofor a short 3 night trip. The high for tomorrow is 99 in Ky so I don't think it could be much worse. Hoping the crowds aren't too bad though.

We are arriving on the 15th and am a little concerned about the crowds also since I have never gone at this time of year. As for the heat, I am planning a lot of pool time. I figure with DVC ownership I don't have to spend all day every day in the parks. If it is unbearable, we will just head back, cool off and go back out in the evening.

Crowds, I don't know, but I can tell you to plan for HOT. While 95 in KY may be hot, I can tell you that 90 with FL humidity is worse, IMHO. Today in Tampa was 93 with a heat index of 107, its kind of like the south's version of wind chill, that factors in the temp and the humidity.

That said, Disney does a decent job of keeping lines fairly well fanned with lots of fans and they do shade pretty good at most attractions.

We'll be there on the 22nd and hoping for less crowds. Heat and humidity is a given so I'm not planning on a lot of park time unless it is going from one air conditioned attraction to the next !:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

It was 100 with heat index of 109...BRING IT ON FLORIDA. LOL

We arrive on the 15th too WOULD LOVE ANY REPORTS OF CROWDS AND WEATHER TOO. Thanks everyone.

We arrive at Vero on the 12th and the BWV on the 15th. We were there last year and it was crowded, not Easter of July 4th crowds.

We just came home from 2 weeks at OKW!!! The first week we had some rain............typical afternoon storms but one full day of rain!! This past 9 days have been HOT...........you could only stayed on the chair at the pool for about 10 minutes before you had to get back in the water. The beginning of our vacation, the water was cool (by my standards) but as the heat index got up there and no clouds or rain, the pool was like bath water!!! Really not much of a relief but better than sitting out.

The parks were crowded. We did 3 park days and DH took my younger DD's to Blizzard Beach on 2 occasions (I had to stay back because I bruised by foot at the pool!! silly me). We did the Magic Hours in the evening and they were doable. 30 minute waits, but the weather was cooler (due to no sun beating on you). MK magic hours were better than Epcot. Epcot waits were 40-60 plus minute waits!!

Any questions feel free to ask!!

Weather Report - HOT & HUMID ! Crowd Report - HIGH

We've been several times in August and we will be arriving again on the 17th. It is always hot and very humid and the crowds are moderately high.

We have found (via advice from other DVC'ers here) that the way to beat the heat and the crowds is to be at the park for the opening, leave the parks between 12-1 PM, go back and enjoy your resort and its ammenities, then go back to the park around 4-5pm until closing. This strategy has worked well for all parks accept AK (early closure). We have also found that this keeps us refreshed, keeps us from getting cranky and annoyed with one another (and others) and makes for a much nicer and more enjoyable trip.

Thats my best advice for an August trip to the world...

We just got back from 10 days at VWL. I found the crowds much lighter than our usual June/July trips. I see others have said the parks are crowded but we thought them much better than usual. I guess it's all about what you are used to. Yes it was HOT! Be careful and drink plenty of water. I had my first experience with dehydration this trip after many summer trips. We went to the parks early, took afternoon breaks and headed out again in the evenings. It was manageable and we had a great time.:thumbsup2

Have been in August before and we are going again from 8/17-8/24. Florida goes back to school on the 20th. The weekend before will probably be crowded but after that the crowds should go down. We have also been there in June/July and the crowds were much worse than in August. It is very hot. The key is to go to the parks early in the morning, go back to the resort around lunch time, hang out by the pool, then go back out for the night around 5:00pm. It usually does rain every afternoon for a little bit. I can't wait to go. I'm counting down the days. Need this vacation BAD!!!!

Get to the parks at least 30 minutes before they open-go to the parks that open early for Disney guests, again at least 30 minutes before they open. There will be crowds, but they will be managable. Go back to your own resort for lunch and pool time and head out later-rather than wait in long lines for dinner at the counter service restaurants, have a reservation for a sit-down meal. Much more relaxing. When our daughter was younger we always spent one day in the middle of our trip for sleeping late and just relaxing around the resort, DTD, and not trying to do any of the parks. In the summer the heat and humidity can be overwhelming-drink lots of water! You will have a great trip!

My Disney friend just called me from WDW. They were at Epcot his morning and arrived around 10:00 am. She said they had the place to themselves and it was dead. At 10:00 fastpasses were out to 12:15. They rode twice and the standby line was not long.

She did say it's HOT, but it's hot in many parts of the US.

She is going to the P&P Party tonight. The Pixie Dust was coming through the phone when I was talking to herpixiedust:

drink at least one bottle of water per hour and you will do a lot better. Don't wait till you feel thirsty. Also, strategically planning some water rides in the middle of the day really helped me. Of course, there is really only Splash and Kali River at Disney but Universal IOA has a couple great ones that soak you. They had the longest lines in the park last month...:thumbsup2

Thanks for all the advice!

We are not doing the hopper option this time, because I think we can keep it to a park a day. We are choosing to do the parks on the day they have EMH at night. We may become nocturnal next week! LOL.

Thanks for all the advice!

We are not doing the hopper option this time, because I think we can keep it to a park a day. We are choosing to do the parks on the day they have EMH at night. We may become nocturnal next week! LOL.

The EMH parks are typically the most crowded parks. We've had very good success in July/August the past several years of doing the park the day after EMH. They were much less crowded. If we wanted to do the evening EMH, we would go over to that park in the evening. If we wanted to do the morning EMH we would leave late morning and go to another park.

I don't know how much money you are saving by not adding the park hopping option but it may be worth it to avoid some of the crowds.

Agreed.

The EMH parks are typically the most crowded parks. We've had very good success in July/August the past several years of doing the park the day after EMH. They were much less crowded. If we wanted to do the evening EMH, we would go over to that park in the evening. If we wanted to do the morning EMH we would leave late morning and go to another park.

I don't know how much money you are saving by not adding the park hopping option but it may be worth it to avoid some of the crowds.

Just got back. Was there the week of 8/6.

Very hot and very humid. Heat index of 105 on a few days. Crowds were very high. I'm not sure if I would do August again. Having access to Stormalong Bay was a good thing last week! The restaurants were always sold out for priority seating.

I think the last 2 weeks in August you do see a drop-off because all the local kids are back in school. At least.....I'm hoping this will be the case (we arrive on 8/18)!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter