• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

An odd but very emotional question

Alicatt

DIS Veteran
So my dad and I are planning a cruise in February. He is a widower. The last time i saw my mom was at the airport on the way home from a Disney trip. It will be 8 years since she passed. Hard to believe. My dad just asked me if it would be ok if he didn't wear his wedding ring on the cruise in case he meets someone. I am all for it. Here's the question.Is there any way to better his chances? A meet up singles group? A cast member I can let know for any tastings we're in to help put us with single older ladies? Even if it's just a lady he can buy a drink and talk to, I think it would be good for him. I know it's a strange question. Any thoughts are appreciated.

If you go to any activities, look for others to sit with / share a table.

Maybe there’s a way to ask to be seated at dinner with others? (I know you can ask to have private table - ? for a group table).

Find a social media group for your specific cruise. There may be one on this forum.

Go to the Adult pool / Cove Cafe / lounge areas, drink tastings… and be friendly. Get out and mingle.

They offer solo gatherings for 18-21 yos. I don't think DCL does.

I love this story of your relationship and the openness / closeness. Here’s hoping for a great cruise adventure.

I don’t recall any organized singles events, but you can keep an eye out in the Navigator. (DCL does have gatherings for 18-20 year olds, but only for those in that age range.)

You father’s best bet for meeting women with similar interests is to attend events that he enjoys. Alcohol tastings will draw an adult crowd in a small group. He can also hang out in lounges and chat with people. Cove Cafe is a good spot since it’s open all day and doesn’t have entertainment to distract from conversation.

On some cruises the navigator will have an activity that is Grandparens show and tell time. I don't remember the name, but it's a place to go chat it up about your grandkids etc. Never been, but maybe if it's offered on your cruise its a place to meet people in his age group.

Thank you for the suggestions and support. . I will certainly book some tastings. A grandparents thing would be awesome. My kids will also be with us and he certainly loves to about them.

Hope you both have a fantastic time! This was a very sweet post to read, a nice way to end the night.

Join the cruise meet group for your cruise now. There may be singles you/he can start talking to before the cruise. Of not maybe the people in the meet group know of someone who is going and single. If you need help finding your cruise group ask here. There are people here who can direct you.

I wish I could help, but that’s so sweet. I’m sure your mother would just want him to be happy. Good luck!

Bingo early in the cruise when it is held in the smaller rooms, people often have to share tables, and it is easy to chat. Trivia quizzes are also held in the smaller bars, might be some people that you can team up with when tables start to run out.

Might sound a bit odd, but I find that the adult hot tub and satellite falls are the best places to get to chat to people. My husband loves sitting in water and every cruise he makes friends while hanging out there.

I am also always surprised how easy it is to start conversations with strangers on a cruise ship when I am hanging out somewhere on my own (like when I leave my husband in the hot tub because I start looking like a prune! 🤣). I am not normally just talking to people but the common experience on the cruise ship is always a good way to start a conversation. So, even if I am sure he wants to spend time with the grandkids, do give him some space to hang out on his own.

I hope you all have a magical cruise together!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter