Animal Kingdom Lodge- a little help convincing!!

bratray

<font color=red>Disney Planning Addict<br><font co
Hello

Anyone who has stayed at the AKL- is it really worth the money- i think it would be a wonderful experience for the kids but need to work on DH

if you did stay there was there anything you didn't like?....

thanks

Lisa:wave: :teeth: :wave:

It is a wonderful hotel; I don't know where in the US one can come close to the theming and experience. How often can one see a giraffe within yards of his/her balcony?

I would make sure and ask for savannah view, however. There often seem to be specials for the hotel as well.

We have stayed at the AKL twice and loved everything about it. Our only slight dislike was that it is a longer bus ride to the MK; it made it a bigger decision to run back to the hotel for a quick break/swim than when we have stayed at a MK hotel. However, we never had any problems with the bus service. Always quick with very little wait.

www.wdwig.com has some great photos if that will help convince your dh. Also, the Travel Channel often features AKL on its Great Hotel series. Check out the Travel Channel's website to help find a time.

If you decide against staying, do make sure and at least visit it. Bomas is our favorite restaurant and clearly worth the visit!!!

We just returned from AKL, but we only stayed 1 night :( Sadly it was not enough. The resort is stunningly beautiful with lots to explore and lots to experience!!! We are DVC members and chose to stay here for our first night to save points. We will definitly be back to this resort, but for more than just one night! I am already trying to work it out, so that we can stay 2-3 nights next year which will be mostly dedicated to exploring this resort and watching the animals :) Our kids really enjoyed the savannah view as did we! I would say it is definitley worth staying at this resort!

I have some photos I can email to you if you'd like them - I can't attach them to an email to you through the board

Only you can answer that question. We stayed at AKL twice so far and loved it both times, in fact it is our favorite resort. After saying that we will probably not stay there for a few years unless a great price comes along. The reason being we fiigured out how many hours we actually spend at the resort and feel at this time we can spend our money better elsewhere, like MORE TRIPS to WDW.

We stayed at AKL last October at a rate of $169 for ten nights - we thought this was a good rate for the hotel. Did better at July 4th - $124 a night and got lucky with an upgrade.

This past trip we did ASMovies. With our room, food including a meal at Victoria and Albert's Chefs table ($400 plus meal itself) and gifts for everyone - we still spent less money than the AKL itself.

It is all what you prefer.

If you never stayed there it is worth at least one trip.

Boy, I do sound wishy-washy!!!

Either way its DISNEY!

:cool:

We've just returned to the UK for three weeks in Florida - we stayed in 5 different hotels:rolleyes: during our stay - including HRH, 5 star Hilton at Marco Island and (allegedly:o )"one of the World's most luxurious small hotels" down in the Keys. AKL rated the best ever from the three in my family . . . hands down.

We only stated there 2 nights, we wished we could have stayed there longer - we'll be back for sure.

Definitely try for a Savannah (we were in room 5319) - Arusha Savannah. Great room, wonderful views of giraffe, zebra, eland, thomson's gazelle, loads of other things - every day. I got up several times in the night to go on the balcony and each time there was something mooching around - fantastic.

The whole resort is stunning.

Couldn't rate it highly enough.

We've stayed at many of the premium resorts at WDW and AKL is certainly near the top of the list. The only downside is no monorail.

The view from our room.
fd17a5d1.jpg

We stayed concierge there last August. We absolutely loved the hotel. We've stayed at several Disney hotels, and we think AKL captures the essence of Disney magic best of all.

There is nothing quite like being able to watch the animals from your balcony in your pj's! Every time we returned to the room, my parents went straight to the balcony to see what the animals were up to. We spent hours out there enjoying the animals. At night, the Savannah is lit like moonlight and it is delightful.

The hotel itself is spectacular and we found the CM's to be very pleasant. We took the bus to MK and found that while it is something of a ride, since it makes no stops at other hotels, it's not too bad.

I think you'll have a wonderful experience -- but do get a Savannah view room. It's definitely worth the extra money.

STAY AT AKL it was amazing here are some pics from my trip in January we can't wait to go back

The entrance from the parking lot
92676966503_0_ALB.jpg

lobby with the tree
54676966503_0_ALB.jpg

lobby
66807966503_0_ALB.jpg

bridge in the lobby
68807966503_0_ALB.jpg

I will post room and balcony photos next
Hope these help you make a decision - I have stayed in hotels all around the world and this one is unique.

AKL makes our family not want to leave the hotel, and when we do leave and go to the parks, we are thinking of the hotel! What other hotel in the world offers you such an unbelievable view. And the pool is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing I didn't like was not having enough time to enjoy the hotel.

We stayed at AKL for our last trip. It was not high on my DH's list of places to stay, but we were traveling with another family and that is where they were staying. My DH loved it! Everytime we entered the room, we'd all rush to the balcony to see "who" was out there! It is just a phenominal resort. It has a VERY relaxing atmosphere. If you are the go, go, go type of vacationer, this resort might not be for you. But if you've been trying to figure out how to find some relaxing time while at WDW, this resort is perfect! We usually don't take time to relax at WDW. We try to squeeze in as much as possible. I now have a whole new way of looking at my WDW schedule because of AKL. If you can comfortably afford it, you should try it. Or think about a split stay. I would opt for AKL as my second (or last) resort. That way you have a chance to unwind a little before returning home!;)

I have several pictures if it will help. You can find them HERE. There are several links that will take you to different areas of the lodge. :)

Lisa - try to request a room with bunk beds - DD (7yrs) and DS (4 yrs) loved the bunk in the room - it really added to the African theme.

I would stay here again. You wouldnt have to ask me twice.
There is so much to do here even if you didnt go the Parks, you could still have a lot of fun here.

Im giving it all the thumbs up I can, unfortunately I only have two!! ;)

YA HOO!!!!

my DH has relented (as usual;) ) and we will be staying at the AKL for 3 nights- i can't wait- i am sooooo excited

thank you everyone for all the great reasons to stay at AKL and the pics- apparently it worked!

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc
AKL HERE I COME!!

Lisa:p

You won't regret your choice - you will never want to leave. This was a hotel where we never minded leaving the parks at the end of the day because we loved the hotel so much!- it is such a great hotel for both couples and families - relaxing for the couples but the kids absolutely love the opportunities to check out the animals. It is also unique and so different from all the other hotels. :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter