• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Annual Passes at Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a different opinion, but it is just my opinion.
I think the sudden departure of Chapek (after they renewed his contract in June for 3 years), the sluggish performance of Disney in the stock markets, the lackluster performance of Disney studios, milking the parks like a golden goose and the public dissatisfaction made them ripe for a potential hostile takeover.

Apparently there was even a study to see how much it would take.

American companies are often targets in the international corporate raider scene.

They are not out of the woods yet, even with appointing Iger as CEO.
That may be part of it. IMO the reason they brought Iger back has nothing to do with the parks. The parks are doing well. It's Disney+ and the studios that's failing.

That may be part of it. IMO the reason they brought Iger back has nothing to do with the parks. The parks are doing well. It's Disney+ and the studios that's failing.
Agreed. For all the complaining, the parks and restaurants seem to be busy/full, and people are paying the prices. Any changes to the parks experiences will be minor in the beginning. The studios and streaming need attention.

Good point about a possible take over.
Thanks. Apparently Apple’s name was being bandied about a couple of years ago. Maybe more of a merger idea to it. Iger and Steve Jobs may have discussed a merger of creativity and high tech many years ago, but then Steve died. But a merger or take-over does not appear to be the situation now.

The current news stories say the Disney Board was concerned about the Q4 2022 Earnings Report in November 8, 2022. They started discussions with Iger on Friday and made a deal Sunday. Then they announced it. The reason to bring back Iger for two years was stated “to stabilize the company.” So, no merger or take-over.

Last edited:

With a new Pixie Dust pass that has yet to be used/activated, when can you start booking park reservations? Must be at some point prior to the first use date right? Otherwise one wouldn't have a park to use it for the first time.

With a new Pixie Dust pass that has yet to be used/activated, when can you start booking park reservations? Must be at some point prior to the first use date right? Otherwise one wouldn't have a park to use it for the first time.
Yes. I was able to make a park reservation before the first use. (First use is using it for a park entrance or for a passholder discount.)

Once you have it linked to you in MDE, you should be able to book park reservations. The number of reservations would depend on whether you did or did not have a Disney hotel reservation for the dates you're booking. Be sure to check the correct box!

Just hoping for a reasonable return to something families can buy and use. I don't deny Disney's right to make a profit, but setting the price too high defeats the purpose. We shall see.

Just hoping for a reasonable return to something families can buy and use. I don't deny Disney's right to make a profit, but setting the price too high defeats the purpose. We shall see.
The parks are packed right now. Right now as I type this, every park is busy, Slinky Dog has a 140 minute wait and FOP is 170 minutes. I think lots of families are finding it affordable enough to visit. Not dismissing your concerns at all, I'm just saying that the current prices and lack of slow season has not stopped a lot of families and lots of first timers.

What do we know?
  • New passes are dated with an expiration of December 31, 2099 until first use. Then the 1 year for use begins. An expiration date runs 1 year from the date of first use.

I thought the new passes got away with that 2099 expiration date and is now one year after purchase in order to activate? Did Disney guest relation confirm that 2099 is indeed a valid year for the expiration date?

I thought the new passes got away with that 2099 expiration date and is now one year after purchase in order to activate? Did Disney guest relation confirm that 2099 is indeed a valid year for the expiration date?
It is 1 year to activate as an AP. After that it is just a credit.

I wonder. When Iger has the town hall meeting with CMs on Monday, November 28th at 9:00 a.m. PT, I wonder if he say anything about when new sales of annual passes will resume.

I went back and looked at the 10 page e-mail that comes from Disney when they issue a brand new pass. Between the time of purchase and the time of "first use" (using it for a discount or entering the parks), it is called a "Pass Certificate". (Disney does not call it a "voucher.") In the "Pass Certificate stage, it has an expiration date of December 31, 2099, but it must be activated into an annual pass within 1 year of purchase or it cannot be activated as an annual pass and can only be used as a credit towards tickets or a new annual pass (if being sold then) that has a value equal to or more than the credit amount. So, that information comes directly from Disney's 10 page document issued upon sale of a brand new pass.

Please note, this does not apply to renewals. Those begin immediately upon the expiration of the earlier annual pass.

I guess I'm glad I renewed ours a month ago. This year was the first year we ever got them, and Incredipass was our only option. I'm not sure we will keep them beyond this renewal, but it will all certainly change a year from now. So am I understanding that I do not need to do anything to activate my renewal pass? LIke I can just walk into the park on the first day of the renewal without stopping anywhere first?

That's the surface level explanation that is popular and circulating on the web right now. However, my take on it is still evolving and I think the popular response is a tip of the iceberg meant for public discussion.

You need to find and read the article about Chapek and "shady" finance handling. Something about releasing projects on ABC 1 day before so ABC would be holding the bag on costs. That and the "spin" he was putting on the bad numbers in the Q4 report when candor was owed to the Board and other financial stakeholders. These things would have weighed far, far more with the board members than the flat quarterly numbers of Disney+. Also, it was the CFO who spoke to the board regarding concerns. It was not just a popularity issue. It explains the "suddenness" of the change of CEO and how little notice was given to Chapek. There is far more to the story than the opinions and conclusions swirling in the popular media.

That's the surface level explanation that is popular and circulating on the web right now. However, my take on it is still evolving and I think the popular response is a tip of the iceberg meant for public discussion.

You need to find and read the article about Chapek and "shady" finance handling. Something about releasing projects on ABC 1 day before so ABC would be holding the bag on costs. That and the "spin" he was putting on the bad numbers in the Q4 report when candor was owed to the Board and other financial stakeholders. These things would have weighed far, far more with the board members than the flat quarterly numbers of Disney+. Also, it was the CFO who spoke to the board regarding concerns. It was not just a popularity issue. It explains the "suddenness" of the change of CEO and how little notice was given to Chapek. There is far more to the story than the opinions and conclusions swirling in the popular media.
None of that has to do with the parks. Also circulating is that a lot of these changes were started under Iger.

None of that has to do with the parks. Also circulating is that a lot of these changes were started under Iger.
Hmmm. I wasn't talking about parks. I wasn't even talking about any changes that may have been started under Iger. Perhaps we just miscommunicated. No matter.

I guess I'm glad I renewed ours a month ago. This year was the first year we ever got them, and Incredipass was our only option. I'm not sure we will keep them beyond this renewal, but it will all certainly change a year from now. So am I understanding that I do not need to do anything to activate my renewal pass? LIke I can just walk into the park on the first day of the renewal without stopping anywhere first?
I found this on the Disney.go.com website.
"You certainly can renew your Annual Pass online up to 60 days prior to your current expiration or up to 30 days after it expires. Once you renew you will need to visit a ticket window or Guest Relations at Walt Disney World in order to receive your new yellow Annual Pass Card. This card will be necessary if you wish to use your discounts and complimentary Theme Park parking that is a benefit given to Annual Passholders. This yellow card can also be used to enter the Theme Parks should you ever forget your Magic Band. ( I may have forgotten mine once or twice in the past.) You can also scan this card to have Disney's PhotoPass Service pictures added to your complimentary Memory Maker downloads you receive as an Annual Passholder."​

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter