Annual WDW SOLOS Meet?

taswira

"Let It Go" - but carefully guard your secrets!
As stated on the recent "<I>Are You A Single WDW Fan</I>" thread - The idea of a single/solo meet at WDW sounds appealing. Maybe if some of us worked on it we could even do it on a grand scale . . . like a single/solo, mini (a long weekend?) version of <I>Mousefest</I> . . . annually. How many are out there? Even with as few as 25 we could probably put something together - a few group meals and special meets at the parks and resorts(?). If we had over a hundred (I have no idea how many solos are out there) we could plan something more substantial. Is anyone interested? If so, any time of year that might work best? Any other input? Is this idea too far-fetched to pursue? ::MinnieMo

Wow, what a great idea! As I prepare for my second solo trip (Nov. 29-Dec. 6), I find myself reaching out and trying to locate other solos (or folks who might be solo just for the day, as their significant others are at conventions or some other such thing). But the idea of a time when solos could go, congregate, try and find someone to do a park with, have a meal with... what a fantastic idea. Sign this solo traveller up!

Richard

:cool:I think it would be something worth looking into.
It is unusual for me to get to WDW two years in a row because of the distance. But if it happened that a group were meeting during the time I would be vacationing there I would enjoy meeting other single/solo WDW travelers, even if it were just for an hour or two.
I wish I could be of more help, but I am having enough trouble helping to organize our 8 member family get together in Aug. 04
There was a thread on the community forum that had to do with single DIS'ers and maybe some of the folks who posted on that one would be interested.
:wave:

Sounds like lots of fun to me. I work in a school, although I can sometimes finagle a day or two away during the year.

Thank you for the replies! Let's see how many other responses we get to this thread. If there is enough interest, we'll see what we can put together. As I said, with even a small number of solos at WDW at the same time, we could plan a few special meets. If we have a lot of interest we could do something on a larger scale.

I live an hour from the parks and am willing to do a big portion of the planning "work" for an "official annual solo meet" if needed, but help is always appreciated ;). All solos please chime in with your ideas and suggestions!

Meanwhile, for those visiting <I>soon</I>, if you're looking for someone to do lunch with to avoid feeling uncomfortably solo for a sit-down meal at the parks, I am frequently available. ::MinnieMo

Shari

I will be in WDW from December 3 to the 14, 2003 and staying at All Star Music. Most of my meals are sit down meals, and for most of them I will be eating alone. Single and unattached, I do that frequently.

I think a solo meet would be great. I'll be attending several meets with people from two boards of which I'm a member, and will be very busy from about December 3rd to the 7th.

Good idea!

Jim

I'm a single forty something mom heading to WDW 11/19 - 11/27 with my two kids (9 and 12). I'd love to plan a trip sometime in 2004 without my kids and meet other single Disney lovers. It's hard to find other Disney lovers here in Colorado. I can't wait to get to the WL in 20 days! It's starting to snow outside my house right now and I'm ready for a vacation.

my next solo trip is apr18-may02/04. i'll only get to wdw for the one trip next year:( but if a solo dis meet happens during those two weeks, i'm there::yes::

kathe:D

I'm definitely interested, but as mentioned in the other thread, it's difficult to impossible to get away from the office much before the 15th of the month. If the planets are aligned correctly and I hold my tongue just so and cross my eyes, it may be possible to get away by the 10th (depends on when EOM falls--it helps when it's close to the weekend!). Apart from that, the month of January does not exist on my calendar (YE, FYE and related stuff in addition to the usual accounting stuff). And this desert rat almost became a blob on the pavement in Orlando's August humidity this past summer! But if it's the best time for everyone else, I'll carry my fan and try not to whine!

Taswira, when planning dates, don't forget that those of us in the western states have to allow a travel day on either side of the dates we would be at WDW. Our flight in August left at the uncivilized hour of 6:30 a.m. to arrive by 2:30 p.m.! The flight wasn't that long--just had to deal with three time zones!

Thoughts for meet locations: some in parks, some outside (DTD, Boardwalk, resorts, etc.). That would permit those who want to economize to be involved without having to buy park tickets for all of the meets. Perhaps a meal offsite (it sounds as though you're familiar enough with the area to select a good place). If meets are planned around meals, try for places with fairly varied menu selections (I'm a picky eater and others may be vegetarian or have severe food allergies) or select different types of cuisine (anything from basic fast food to ...--your imagination can provide the other options!).

It's EOM, so I need to get back to work!

Happy Halloween!

Taja :sunny:

Hi......

I just got back from a fantastic two week stay at Disney, but what the heck.......keep me posted my time is very flexible.

I would love to meet up with others that have the same feelings toward Disney as I.

There is just something about the place that just keeps me going back every year.

Keep me posted on what is decided........hell I've only gone on eight solo trips so far.......

I've got a trip scheduled next June, 13th -17th. I have no idea what's entailed organizationally (is that a word?) but I'd be willing to be a part of it...

Originally posted by CoasterAddict
I've got a trip scheduled next June, 13th -17th. I have no idea what's entailed organizationally (is that a word?) but I'd be willing to be a part of it...
Thanks, CoasterAddict! I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude right now to see <I>how many</I> responses we get to this thread. We'll see if the number is large enough to warrant some serious planning. .:crazy:

P.S. - I, too, am a "coaster addict" :teeth: .

As much as I'd like to do this tomorrow, we should probably plan this out aways to accomodate people that have already taken this year's vacation or need a bit of time to line things up.

Since this will be a solo event I think we should avoid peak times in the summer. It is SO much more enjoyable when the heat and crowds are not at peak levels.

During F&W would be great except that is is TOO FAR away.

I agree completely, arminnie. This thread is a "feeler" to determine if there is enough interest for the not-too-distant future, but it would at least be next year. I'm thinking late spring or sometime in the fall(?). Summer IS way too hot and crowded! So keep the comments and suggestions coming, folks.

Meanwhile, this adult/solo board is a great place to find other solos for meets prior to our proposed WDW Annual Solos Meet.

I'd be interested. I will suggest that we stay away from the month of March. I've been told by my cast member friends that it is a nightmare each weekend in March. I would suggest something in late April (after Easter) and early May. It's not to hot or cold and the crowds are fairly light (compared to the summer).

I would need at least two months heads up so I can coordinate with the boss.

TTFN, :wave:

:p CoasterFan :hyper:

Hi solos...

Cash and I'll be at WDW a BUNCH next year, as I posted on the first stub of this thread...don't remember what it was called... but January, May, and December of next year will see me and Cash, Service Dog Extraordinaire, riding the rides, attracted to the attractions and feeding at fooderies....let's meet sometime! :wave2:

Pixie dust to all!

Originally posted by videogal1
... but January, May, and December of next year will see me and Cash, Service Dog Extraordinaire, riding the rides, attracted to the attractions and feeding at fooderies....let's meet sometime!
Glad to hear it Lynda! I am still looking forward to meeting you and the Wonder Dog!

Now what <I><B>I</B></I> want to see is you AND Cash doing <I>Mission: Space</I> with me! :teeth: Just kidding - unless Cash is up to it, of course. :hyper:

This is a great idea. Count me in. I am in Miami so I am only about 4 hours away from WDW.

Originally posted by taswira
Glad to hear it Lynda! I am still looking forward to meeting you and the Wonder Dog!

Now what <I><B>I</B></I> want to see is you AND Cash doing <I>Mission: Space</I> with me! :teeth: Just kidding - unless Cash is up to it, of course. :hyper:

I'll have to refer to the Guests with Disabilities brochure for guidance on whether or not Cash would be permitted to venture into "Space" or, if that attraction is not addressed in the current edition, find a CM who works in that attraction. I know that Space is one attraction I really want to try out but, unless Cash can come along, I'll have to park him with someone outside...EEEEK, like handing off the keys to your Jag to a teenage parking valet. NO WAY!

This whole WDW vacation thing is really going to test Cash's appetite for adventure but, as the permanent navigator in my little car, he has shown bravery and fortitude beyond all expectations....should do fine at WDW and the two cruises scheduled next year.....:Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter