Another Aulani parking question

nifferearly

Mouseketeer
DVC Silver
I know I've seen posts about this, but I can't find any right now. I'm planning to book a room using DVC points for my friend. Will they have to pay the parking charge? Thanks!

I have researched this extensively. I have been told both "yes" and "no" various times. Most recently I was told by both the hotel and a DVC agent that self-park is free for ANYONE staying in a DVC unit paying with DVC points (e.g. This would not apply to a person who books a DVC unit though Aulani and pays with dollars).

I will confirm after my December trip. I am staying in a DVC I-V studio through rented points.

If it helps any, when one stays at the Disney Collection hotels (ie DLH, PPH, GF, Poly) on points, one does not have to pay resort fees or parking, it is all included (I have stayed at DLH several times on rented points). Also when you make a reservation for a family member or friend at any other resort they don't pay parking or resort fees (have had my brother stay in his own villa on our points).

It would seem odd that Aulani would charge for parking when the parking has been paid for as part of the maintenance fees, no matter whether it is the owner or someone else staying there. I suppose they *could* but it seems highly unlikely. Someone here will have a more definitive answer, probably from the dvcmember website.

Everybody checking in, owner or not, will pay the Transient Accommodation Tax.

I guess this would be good for me to know too since for our upcoming weekend, in order to save points, I booked one night renting another member's points and one night through my own points ... though I think as DVC members we're covered either way so I hadn't thought about it much.

I am very interested in knowing this too ... staying there on rented pts in March. If I don't have to pay for parking it would make it that much easier to make the decision on a car rental for those 5 days. It costs more to park there then the cost of the actual rental.

Thewelts - I would appreciate your feedback after your trip. I have also gotten a lot of conflicting reports.

I stayed at Ko Olina on a previous trip to Oahu and I think a car is necessary if you want to do a lot of sightseeing. I'd hate to "sell" my friends on staying at Aulani vs another resort and then have them get an extra $250 charge for parking when they checkout!

Like DenLo says above, if you are a DVC Member staying on points then you do not have to pay for self-parking.

You will have to pay for valet parking.

I stayed there for a week recently and I had a car while there.

I think the question is if you are NOT a DVC member but rather renting/borrowing points from either a friend or a service like The DVC Rental Store or Davids. I'm doing this in April so am also trying to figure out fact from fiction.

Bump - does anyone know the answer to this question? I've looked through all the threads and keep seeing inconsistent answers. Thanks so much.

I can now confirm that there is free self-park if you booked with DVC points and are staying in a DVC unit. We spent a week in December -- rented pointed -- we are NOT DVC members. The hotel treated us as if we were DVC members -- they do not seem to distinguish between DVC members and DVC guests.

Our room key was programmed to allow access in and out of the parking garage. We told the valet that our reservation was DVC when we arrived. They assured us that self-park was free. They temporarily parked our car during our check-in, and then my husband moved it to self park once we settled into our room.

It was a great experience. We did not have any problems.

Thank you so much for your message, that helps a ton! Exactly the situation that we are in and so glad to have that confirmation.

I can now confirm that there is free self-park if you booked with DVC points and are staying in a DVC unit. We spent a week in December -- rented pointed -- we are NOT DVC members. The hotel treated us as if we were DVC members -- they do not seem to distinguish between DVC members and DVC guests.

I think that this is exactly the case. We stayed at Aulani on rented points and we're DVC members as well. But Aulani never had my DVC membership # and had no way of knowing that I was a DVC member. Aulani did not charge me parking for my stay.

Bump - does anyone know the answer to this question? I've looked through all the threads and keep seeing inconsistent answers. Thanks so much.

My sister(DVC member) stayed at Aulani last week, using her points. She rented a car because there is not much to do at the resort. She was first told she had to pay $35.00 a night to park. When she insisted that she should not be charged, the story changed and she did not have to pay. She suggests that the resort is new, was underpriced at its inception, and is scrambling to get the finances in order. Remember the news stories about the firing of the DVC president because the purchase price for Aulani was set erroneously?
For example, she was charged for the in-room little bottle of shampoo she used. She was charged for coffee filters she used in the room to make coffee.
So, the thing to do may be to keep talking to the desk about the claimed parking fees.

Instead of paying $35 a day to park at the Aulani Resort, can I simply park across the street at Roy's or the Island Country Market and walk over the resort?

I've rented a car for 7 days and I'm trying to avoid paying $245 just to park! It's outrageous. Any ideas of how I can avoid these fees? BTW: I'm not a DVC member...

Instead of paying $35 a day to park at the Aulani Resort, can I simply park across the street at Roy's or the Island Country Market and walk over the resort?

I've rented a car for 7 days and I'm trying to avoid paying $245 just to park! It's outrageous. Any ideas of how I can avoid these fees? BTW: I'm not a DVC member...

Its not a matter of simply walking across the street... its a bit farther than that... especially Roys. I would imagine that both Roys/the golf course and the shopping area( which does not have a huge abundance of parking) are monitoring parking.

Cinderpamela said:
Its not a matter of simply walking across the street... its a bit farther than that... especially Roys. I would imagine that both Roys/the golf course and the shopping area( which does not have a huge abundance of parking) are monitoring parking.

I agree, I cant imagine it not being a tow away area.

Sadly, the huge parking fees are just part of Hawaii unless you rent a house or are in timeshare. Most hotels and resorts on Oahu (esp Waikiki area) charge ridiculous parking rates per day:-(

I agree, I cant imagine it not being a tow away area.

Sadly, the huge parking fees are just part of Hawaii unless you Trent a house or are in timeshare. Most hotels and resorts on Oahu (esp Waikiki area) charge ridiculous parking rates per day:-(

Yes, i remember paying $35 a day in Waikiki 5 years ago too... if it's any consolation, if you're not staying in DVC and have to pay $35 to park, you can use valet instead of self-parking. The only additional cost is tipping. Valet and self-park are the same price.

I'm paying $32 a night parking to stay at the Courtyard:(. Seems to be they charge anywhere!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter