• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another dating/relationship hypothetical

When you fall in love you don't do it based on swapping bank account info. I've always found that people who have real money and do really well in their jobs don't need to constantly try to sell themselves and convince others of how cool they are. How obnoxious can a person be who talks about how much money they make? It sounds desperate and untrue. There's always one in the crowd who tries to convince and wow others of their wealth, education, job and overall amazingness.

Very true. When I first met my wife in college, she made a point of not sharing many details about her family. She wanted to get to know me without me knowing she came from money (her father was a hospital CEO). It wasn't until a few months into dating that she let it be known (when we went to a Cavaliers game and it was in her father's suite).

Very true. When I first met my wife in college, she made a point of not sharing many details about her family. She wanted to get to know me without me knowing she came from money (her father was a hospital CEO). It wasn't until a few months into dating that she let it be known (when we went to a Cavaliers game and it was in her father's suite).

I would have proposed right then and there.

I would only date someone with a steady job and good income. Sorry, it's the truth. Money can buy happiness.
My current "person" has a steady job but I still make half again as much as he does. My take home is 3 times his due to child support. I have no issue with this. It is a casual relationship. I honestly don't know if it would make a difference if it were more serious. I want to think it wouldn't.

It's not quite what the OP asked, but let me explain how it went with a guy I dated in college. First off, I grew up poor--dirt poor. When Dad was out of work, we were on food stamps, barely could pay the mortgage on our crappy house sometimes poor. I paid for college all on my own. To this day I have money anxiety, even though I graduated with an engineering degree, made a good salary, etc. Meanwhile, the guy I was dating came from a very, very rich town (highest income per capita in his state). While his parents were well-off, for their town, they were actually in the bottom 10%. This young man would "complain" because his family only took one spring vacation--either Caribbean OR skiing, not both in the same year. And he didn't get a car for his 16th birthday, he had to wait until he was 21. You can imagine how my heart bled for the poor little rich boy!

But, here's what I found interesting--when I visited his town and met his parents and friends, I thought they would all act like rich snobs--you know, like you see on TV. It turned out, they were some of the nicest people you could meet--I was the one with the problem, I felt poor and defensive about my background. They didn't care one bit! I realized I had to work through my own issues, and not project on to others. And I ended up marrying the guy.

On a more relevant note, although I wouldn't care so much about a guy having a lot more (or less, if that would have been possible) than I do, I still have some financial standards. A guy with not much money in the bank would be fine, if he had a life plan, was a hard worker, etc. Similarly, a rich playboy type might be fun to date for a while, but I don't think I could make a life with someone like that. It's a moot point, though, since I'm stuck with the crybaby who whined about not getting a car in HS.

I wouldn't consider money as a factor for dating, because I am at a pretty stable place in my life. I consider a strong work ethic to be much more important than the dollars on the pay stub. Tell me he's a handy guy who wants to take care of my house, and I'm in though! Maybe I should find a house-husband.

Yes, it shouldn't matter unless you are dating for ulterior motives. I have always earned less money than my husband and I like him being the main breadwinner in our marriage.

I'm another that married right out of college when we were both pretty much broke.

I guess the potential for a fairly big income disparity was already there: I studied to be a teacher and DH to be an engineer. As is, I stopped working early on to stay home with kids (per mutual agreement) and then we chased DH's career and moved through 5 states and then overseas. He's be making 40-50% of what he does now if we had stayed in one place instead of relocating so often---on the other hand I had no chance at a career reloacting every few years, and it is actaully a heck of a lot of work handling the details of moves (espeically with kids and internationally). Now we pay more in (insanely high German) taxes than I'Ve ever made in a year---but DH and I both agree that it took his hard work on the job and mine in support iwth moving and handling things at hoime (he also travels 80%) for him to get to that income---so we both see it as our contribution and not some lopsided thing.

I'm another that married right out of college when we were both pretty much broke.

I guess the potential for a fairly big income disparity was already there: I studied to be a teacher and DH to be an engineer. As is, I stopped working early on to stay home with kids (per mutual agreement) and then we chased DH's career and moved through 5 states and then overseas. He's be making 40-50% of what he does now if we had stayed in one place instead of relocating so often---on the other hand I had no chance at a career reloacting every few years, and it is actaully a heck of a lot of work handling the details of moves (espeically with kids and internationally). Now we pay more in (insanely high German) taxes than I'Ve ever made in a year---but DH and I both agree that it took his hard work on the job and mine in support iwth moving and handling things at hoime (he also travels 80%) for him to get to that income---so we both see it as our contribution and not some lopsided thing.

Though lower on the scale, this codependency is true of us as well. I wouldn't have been able to advance my career if DW hadn't deliberately stunted hers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter