• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another Napa Rose Chef's Counter Review

jacobzking

Mouseketeer
Another Disboarded just posted one, so I figured a second wouldn't hurt since there's not been a whole lot of these. I'm just going to copy and paste mine from Yelp, but here's my take...

First off, I feel like I really had more of a 4 star experience here, but maybe (probably) my expectations were just too high from what I had read online. Mostly because there's not a ton of information on the Chef's Counter experience. But, all in all, it was fantastic food with fantastic service so five stars it is.

My biggest disappointment was that from what I had read, and even according to the couple we sat next to, the chef's made off the menu courses and experimented, and everyone would receive different courses. That's what I was most excited about (sounded to good to be true for $100). But, what we really received were small portions of regular menu items (essentially when they prepared an appetizer for a table order, they just made a little more for us). My wife and I had totally different courses between the 2 of us the whole time, but the couple next to us had the same sets of courses (not a big deal, just not what I was expecting.

The price is $100 per person which IS A STEAL! You get so much excellent food for the money. They could easily raise the price to $150 or probably $200 and it would still be worth it.

Almost every one of the 14 courses my wife and I tried were a 10/10. But like many other restaurants, this one changes the menu regularly so I wont spend time talking about any one particular item.

I would definitely come back and do the Chef's Counter again, but with a more realistic expectation.

If the couple next to you at the chef’s counter each received the same dish each course, it was by their request.

And yes with very very rare exceptions everything you are served will be smaller portions of things on the menu. If will still be a huge amount of food and you will not leave hungry. If your expectations were they were going to prepare you an off menu meal, you were misinformed. However, it is very likely that between the two of you, you will get to try most of the weekly changing vintners menu courses. When you sat down the chef always asks when the last time you dined there. If the first time or has been awhile, expect more of the classics and best of menu. If you dine there frequently expect more of the vitners menu.

Also they take requests. If I’ve seen they’ve changed how they prepare the diver scallop, I’ll always ask for them to work that in.

Do you have any copies of the menu? Do you know if they would be able to accommodate a vegetarian? Is it bookable for a solo traveler? Or would it be a two too minimum?

Do you have any copies of the menu? Do you know if they would be able to accommodate a vegetarian? Is it bookable for a solo traveler? Or would it be a two too minimum?
Here's a link to the menu: Napa Rose Dinner Menu However, doing the chef's counter, they will cook for you to your likes, dislikes, etc. including vegetarian. Although as the OP said, it's kind of mostly ingredients off the regular menu with their own twist, usually. We are gluten free and had an amazing meal there.

They can and do accommodate solos, unless something has changed in the last few years; I did chef's counter solo in 2015.

There were some delicious veg options in the other review posted this week.

Another Disboarded just posted one, so I figured a second wouldn't hurt since there's not been a whole lot of these. I'm just going to copy and paste mine from Yelp, but here's my take...

First off, I feel like I really had more of a 4 star experience here, but maybe (probably) my expectations were just too high from what I had read online. Mostly because there's not a ton of information on the Chef's Counter experience. But, all in all, it was fantastic food with fantastic service so five stars it is.

My biggest disappointment was that from what I had read, and even according to the couple we sat next to, the chef's made off the menu courses and experimented, and everyone would receive different courses. That's what I was most excited about (sounded to good to be true for $100). But, what we really received were small portions of regular menu items (essentially when they prepared an appetizer for a table order, they just made a little more for us). My wife and I had totally different courses between the 2 of us the whole time, but the couple next to us had the same sets of courses (not a big deal, just not what I was expecting.

The price is $100 per person which IS A STEAL! You get so much excellent food for the money. They could easily raise the price to $150 or probably $200 and it would still be worth it.

Almost every one of the 14 courses my wife and I tried were a 10/10. But like many other restaurants, this one changes the menu regularly so I wont spend time talking about any one particular item.

I would definitely come back and do the Chef's Counter again, but with a more realistic expectation.

How do you book this? This will be our first trip to DL, but we've done dozens upon dozens of trips to WDW.

Thanks

How do you book this? This will be our first trip to DL, but we've done dozens upon dozens of trips to WDW.

Thanks
Last I knew, you have to call to book the Chef’s Counter.

Note that if it’s fully booked, you can still order the Vintner’s Table tasting menu at any table in the restaurant. It’s not the same experience, but you’ll get similar items and several courses.

Of course, the regular menu at Napa Rose is also good!

Thanks

You need to call the location directly. Highly recommend at least 30 days in advance since there are only about ~32 seats a night for this. 12 of those (two seatings of 6 seats) are over near the dessert station, which might be cool for some, but obviously sees FAR less action then appetizers or the center area (mains and expediting). There is no real menu other than you chatting with the chef on what you like and dislike. Portions are HUGE, my friend and I realized they’re essentially the same size that goes out to the main dining room, yet you get like 7 to 9 courses. The wine flights are amazing value. Maybe the wines aren’t super exclusive or expensive on their own, but the cost compared to the volume they give you and the number of pairings is impressive, and I enjoyed each wine.

The whole thing was so enjoyable that I decided my friend WOULD enjoy the experience and the time commitment was worth it, so I asked and they were able to squeeze me in again just two days later with her. The chef remembered me and made sure EACH of my dishes was completely different this time around... which was a little tricky since they all needed to be vegetarian. We also ordered three desserts because we couldn’t decide and the dessert station lead said she would bring a few over that were good.

Just seeing Colette, aka Chef Gloria, up close is worth the price. She has total command of the kitchen.

Used to be one of my favorite dining experiences but have been severely underwhelmed and frankly disappointed last several times.

Seems to be no "customization", creativity, or building a menu to suit other than adjusting to preferences...just a pre determined list of options they can plunk down in front of you.

Napa Rose menu as a whole has been very underwhelming IMO.

Used to be one of my favorite dining experiences but have been severely underwhelmed and frankly disappointed last several times.

Seems to be no "customization", creativity, or building a menu to suit other than adjusting to preferences...just a pre determined list of options they can plunk down in front of you.

Napa Rose menu as a whole has been very underwhelming IMO.

I'll agree a little, but also say I was still really happy with it. Honestly the price for the quality and amount of food and benefit of seeing everything in the kitchen isn't bad. I've had two star Michelin dinners (which yes, they're a little better) for $150+/person without any kitchen view or talking to the chef. For it being *Disney*, and a chef view, I was expecting north of $200 before wine/tip, etc. I also like how they would even accommodate a SINGLE guest. I don't have a significant other or siblings, and friends often don't feel like blowing the kind of money that stuff like this is... so all the other kitchen view tables that require a minimum of 4 people or something is really hard for me to book, if not impossible.

I do wish with advanced notice they could do a little more unique stuff, but the kitchen is crazy busy and they do a great job getting stuff out. I asked for a soup (vegetarian) if possible a couple days in advanced and thought I might have a good chance at that and it was never mentioned the night I had dinner. They did say that the parks are going way more vegetarian/meat free and that is opening a huge amount of extra options for those kinds of menu, so we might see some new unique things in the next year or so and more options they can weave into their menu...

Here are a few of our photos from when we dined at chefs table. There were a lot of dishes, so this is just a few of them.

Our view from our seats

Beautiful bread that you try not to fill up on

I think this is called Crying Tiger salad. I always request this one

One of the yummy desserts

Does anyone remember the most up to date pricing for the chef's counter experience? I've got a friends birthday coming up and was thinking this would be something fun for them to do via a Disney gift card from me but want to make sure I totally cover it and last I recall Chef's Counter didn't have much official info posted via Disney...

(Yes I know it's still closed, it'll have to reopen sometime though)

I really don't think the chef's counter will reopen -- and it pains me to say that. It was my favorite experience. But you are just too close to the food and chefs Even after the pandemic, people will still freak out about regular guests being that close to the food preparation. That being said, as I recall, it was $135 before alcohol before the closure.

We’re staying here at GCH and asked that question, as we’re regulars at Napa Rose. They described that they are in phase 1 of opening the hotel and that within phase 2-3, they will open Napa Rose, including the chef’s counter. Fingers crossed, as the Napa Rose team is ready to get back to work! 🥀 🍷

We’re staying here at GCH and asked that question, as we’re regulars at Napa Rose. They described that they are in phase 1 of opening the hotel and that within phase 2-3, they will open Napa Rose, including the chef’s counter. Fingers crossed, as the Napa Rose team is ready to get back to work! 🥀 🍷
Did they mention a timeline on the phases?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter