Another perfume vent

What about smokers who spray themselves with perfume AFTER smoking in an attempt to hide the fact that they were smoking?? I used to work with a smoker who did this. She would go to the designated smoking area, then spray herself down. UHG.

And this is probably the time when perfume bothers me the most. Heavy perfume mixed with cigarette smoke is too much to handle.

I have a disability myself so I know what it's like for people to not be sensitive to my needs. I just deal with it so I guess that has made me less sympathetic towards others.

I assume that increases the odds that others will know better, do better in regards to your situation.

I'm right there with you! I have allergies and asthma and I think people without asthma don't really know how much their perfume can ruin my day. I have ended up in the ER countless times! They won't give me a breathing treatment at doctor's office or urgent care because they say I'm sensitive to it--my heart races and I have palpitations from the medication, sometimes I get chest pain. I guess it can trigger a heart attack? It sucks because I can lose half a day to the ER visit and then I am on restricted activity for a couple days after---all because someone decides to spritz on a bunch of cologne!

OP, have you tried wearing a mask? I have a few that I use, two washable fabric masks and I also sometimes use the disposable construction masks, and they seem to help. Last spring I made the poor choice to visit Epcot during Flower and Garden and I still ended up having an asthma flare, in spite of wearing the masks most of the time I was in the park, but I was able to treat it myself and didn't end up at the ER and I think that's because of the masks. Just be careful not to exert yourself while wearing a mask, that's a really bad idea for those of us with asthma and you can end up with a collapsed lung! Slow, meandering walking only!

This reminds me of back in the day when my boys discovered the joys of Axe body spray. Didn't take long for their mother and I to discuss how many squirts was enough. Thank God they figured it out.

Ace has to be the most disgusting smell in the world.

My boys discovered Axe a few years ago. Thankfully, I've managed to get them to eliminate everything Axe except the roll-on deodorant.

I had a woman get snippy with me at a school meeting because "my perfume was gagging her." She was very vocal & made us the center of attention. I wasn't even wearing any perfume. I was using a new deodorant that day & if the 2 swipes of Secret's Hawaii Citrus were too much for her, then she has an over-sensitive sense of smell which is her problem not mine. I'm sorry that did not make me more sensitive to others needs, it made me more cynical about people claiming allergies.

I cannot possibly imagine how people are supposed to "take precautions" against perfume that causes them to have trouble breathing. I could understand them keeping a mask with them at all times that they could put on in a hurry, but then they're having to wear a mask throughout an entire meal? Maybe you're suggesting they never go out in public.

Empathy is important. The lack of empathy I've seen by some posters on this thread has really changed my perspective on those posters.

Vent on OP! We're with you!

Last edited:
I think she knows exactly what she’s doing...:stir:

I sympathize with you, but don’t expect much sympathy. Believe me, I’ve read many, many posters say they’ll eat whatever they want, even if it is going to endanger someone else.

Actually that's never really my intention but these threads by nature are meant to attract attention and provoke certain reactions and it back fires as soon as someone disagrees with the OP's views of how people should react.
I usually just give a short response of really this again but this particular subject struck a nerve with me.

Axe has to be the most disgusting smell in the world.

My boys discovered Axe a few years ago. Thankfully, I've managed to get them to eliminate everything Axe except the roll-on deodorant.

Joys? I don't think so. Heaven save us from 14 year olds without a clue.

We finally got them on other scents and other products, but when grandma sends Axe gift sets to the newly minted teenagers, it suddenly becomes quite the work in progress. :)

honestly, if I want to wear perfume I will and if you have a problem with it, then you should takes steps to prevent yourself being affected. For many years I didnt have the money to buy expensive perfume and I worked in an industry where I was not allowed to wear it. Now that I can, I will.

Im not about to think, oh golly gosh, what if someone on the bus is allergic to perfume, I better not use any. Nope, Im going to use my perfume. Being allergic to perfume is YOUR problem, not mine!

You sound lovely.

I had a woman get snippy with me at a school meeting because "my perfume was gagging her." She was very vocal & made us the center of attention. I wasn't even wearing any perfume. I was using a new deodorant that day & if the 2 swipes of Secret's Hawaii Citrus were too much for her, then she has an over-sensitive sense of smell which is her problem not mine. I'm sorry that did not make me more sensitive to others needs, it made me more cynical about people claiming allergies.

I agree that very heavy handed perfume is annoying and can bother people. But as this post shows, sometimes it doesn't have to be excessive, but any scent at all can bother some people.

By the way some people on this thread are responding, it seems that none of them wear ANYTHING scented at all. Detergents, fabric softeners, soap, shampoo, deodorant, lotion, perfume etc. All of these things come in lots of scents are seem to sell very well. I do not marinate in fragrance by any means, but I do have some lotions and light cologne scents that I do like and wear. Honestly, I am not trying to offend anyone, nor am I trying to be a jerk.

My husband's deodorant is very strong too. It's not a big deal during the day or going in for hugs and whatnot but when relaxing in bed right before sleep I have to tell him "umm can you keep your arms down" lol. But his deodorant doesn't irritate my allergies it's just.so.strong smelling.

I wouldn't have been rude like the lady was to you, that seems uncalled for, but I can understand her confusion. Some deodorant, ladies or mens, has the scents that mimic perfume or cologne respectively. I haven't seen that scent so I don't know what it smells like in person.

Did she say though that it was causing her allergies to go haywire and it was threatening to her? Otherwise I'm not sure it has much to do with people claiming allergies. I hear ya on that where too many people do talk it up or outright lie and it gives other people who actually have such bad allergies a harder time (I remember saying that one time in one of the threads on the Boards about a person on an airplane making certain claims).

I think this is the kind of stuff that has been my experience like I said in my pp so I tend to roll my eyes (to myself) when I hear “allergies”. I know there are real allergies, but there are also plenty of ppl who are dramatic & attention-seeking also.

By the way some people on this thread are responding, it seems that none of them wear ANYTHING scented at all. Detergents, fabric softeners, soap, shampoo, deodorant, lotion, perfume etc. All of these things come in lots of scents are seem to sell very well. I do not marinate in fragrance by any means, but I do have some lotions and light cologne scents that I do like and wear. Honestly, I am not trying to offend anyone, nor am I trying to be a jerk.

I do try to stay away from scented things for the most part. Not all of them bother me, but one day I decided: I don't want everyone in the office to smell that "Gain" smell (it's very strong on others, especially if you use the fabric softener). I don't want others to be able to clearly smell my deoderant. While deoderant smell does not bother me, I don't think it's a nice smell. I don't want my hands to smell like "roses" or "Tahiti breeze." I just want them moisturized.

I know it's a personal thing but while some of these smells don't cause reactions, they just have an offputting scent. If a perfume on someone is light and you just catch a slight whiff of it, I can actually enjoy it and think "oh that's lovely." But that's rare.

I agree that very heavy handed perfume is annoying and can bother people. But as this post shows, sometimes it doesn't have to be excessive, but any scent at all can bother some people.

I don't assume people are like that unless their mannerisms, body language and actual language say otherwise.

But don't assume that people who are have issues with strong scents or it irritates their allergies don't do other things in their day to day lives.

I pick detergent out that has a scent but not ones that are too strong. Typically it's lavender or Mountain Breeze stye. Gain is very strong to me I don't buy it. I also don't buy those crystals that you use to prolong the scent. I do use an offbrand of Downy but the scent is fairly light in comparison to other ones. I don't buy crazy scented soaps either. Normally it's fairly standard stuff. Main level bathroom, used by guests, is non-scented. Shampoo is Aussie and it does have a scent but it's not one you can smell unless you're up smelling my hair..in which case..that's a bit strange lol. Scented lotion is the strongest I've got but as a personal opinion I'm not a fan of it being overpowering so I select ones that aren't in your face bam. Body wash is also the same. Right now though I'm using Winter Care from Olay so very light smelling.

That said of course it's entirely possible it's irritating someone else. In that case people have my heartfelt apologies as I know exactly how they feel are. I'm not a fan though of having my scents (be it deodorant, be it laundry detergent or softner, be it lotion) be very strong and smelled by everyone else in the first place and hopefully that helps out others.

FWIW, how she behaved was ridiculous. There's simply no excuse for it.

Purely informational, I struggle with strong scents and odors and migraines. I have to be really careful with what I wear/use. Growing up I used to get in trouble with my mother because it was virtually impossible for me to wash dishes when she only had a lemon-scented dishwashing liquid. I'd complain and she would accuse me of trying to get out of doing the dishes. We went round and round about it and she would not listen to me beg to simply buy another scent and refused to acknowledge that this only occurred when she bought that scent. Finally an incident arose where I got so sick that it became really obvious to her it was legitimate. After that she switched and the issue was resolved. To this day you will only find Palmolive original dishwashing liquid in my home. Some days I'm so sensitive that I literally feel like I can taste my own shampoo all day long.

Sometimes I'm having a good enough day to wear scent and feel fine, but somewhere out and about I run across a particular scent that triggers me out of nowhere. If I smell that fake lemon smell it's guaranteed to trigger me. It doesn't even have to be a scent that is overpowering. Certain scents just really "get" me for whatever reason. Hopefully I'm not in a position where I'm stuck with it and I try to just move away.

She might have been genuinely triggered by that particular scent. She handled it beyond poorly, but her issue might have been legitimate. Just offering it informationally for possible understanding of what might have been going on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter