Any car suggestions?

Used car prices have jumped recently due to the computer chip shortage impacting new vehicle production. If you can wait 6+ months would probably be good and prices should stabilize by then. I would NEVER recommend buying a 'salvage' vehicle. In some states it is illegal to get license plates for them since the vehicle was considered scrap/unsafe to drive by the insurance company due to a prior accident or something like a flood. Even if states allow you to get plates or title it, you can expect to have any number of issues with it going forward.

Any model built after 2012 will not experience these issues. We have had four different Subaru vehicles since 2013 with a total of 500k+ miles drive with no engine related issues or major issues with any system.
2019 Subaru Ascent, the Subaru Impreza, the Subaru Legacy, and the Subaru Outback are currently the subject of a factory engine recall. Glad you had no issues.

Used car prices have jumped recently due to the computer chip shortage impacting new vehicle production. If you can wait 6+ months would probably be good and prices should stabilize by then. I would NEVER recommend buying a 'salvage' vehicle. In some states it is illegal to get license plates for them since the vehicle was considered scrap/unsafe to drive by the insurance company due to a prior accident or something like a flood. Even if states allow you to get plates or title it, you can expect to have any number of issues with it going forward.
I was wondering about that!

I have a Subaru forester and I love it!!! Great gas mileage and awd. The size is perfect for me, I've had sedans and larger suvs and the size of the forester is my sweet spot! Mine is 2010 and we will be upgrading to a newer forester within the year, thinking maybe a 2015-2017.
I bought a new forester in 2015 then traded it in with 22000 miles after two years- it was too loud and bumpy for me! Bought a used outback then, LOVED it, traded that in after 2 years and bought a new 2019 outback- its definitely my favorite car I've ever had. I'm now looking at foresters again, becasue it wouldn't be our main car and my perspective has changed lol! Glad to hear you like it!

I would say a Subaru Impreza for something small and reasonably priced with AWD. Crosstrek if you want small but with more ground clearance.
I thought impreza too but its too low for me to feel and see comfortably. Havent driven a Crosstrek but hoping its better? Would love this car if I could get a good deal.

Can't wait, our son will start commuting to college at the end of August and likely using my outback.

I bought a new forester in 2015 then traded it in with 22000 miles after two years- it was too loud and bumpy for me! Bought a used outback then, LOVED it, traded that in after 2 years and bought a new 2019 outback- its definitely my favorite car I've ever had. I'm now looking at foresters again, becasue it wouldn't be our main car and my perspective has changed lol! Glad to hear you like it!
My sister has an outback and loves it, I know it drives nicer than mine. we are a taller family and just feel more comfortable in the forester. When it's me and my 2 kids it feels great but when it's the 4 of us (w/ dh) it feels tight. The redesigned 2019 looks bigger!

My sister has an outback and loves it, I know it drives nicer than mine. we are a taller family and just feel more comfortable in the forester. When it's me and my 2 kids it feels great but when it's the 4 of us (w/ dh) it feels tight. The redesigned 2019 looks bigger!
I'm not tall lol. Thats part of the problem with some of the smaller, cheaper cars. I'd love small for my purposes, and of course cheaper, but need to be able to sit high in the seat to feel comfortable. I was thinking I'd get an Impreza, until I felt like I was sitting on the road :(
SInce I will just be driving it short distances and not on the highway I'm going to see if I could get a good deal on the forester....I'd try it again!

I thought impreza too but its too low for me to feel and see comfortably. Havent driven a Crosstrek but hoping its better? Would love this car if I could get a good deal.
Yeah, good deals are hard to find right now. :(

I would say it doesn't hurt to give the Crosstrek a try and see if it feels too small for you. Which it might -- I also drove a Kona recently, and it was small and cute but definitely brought me back to that compact car driving experience vs. my Outback.

When I bought my 2019 Outback, I also tested a Mazda CX-5, which might be another option to consider. I was pretty close to buying it, but we preferred the roomier front seats of the Outback. The CX-5 is a bit bigger and nicer than the Crosstrek, but smaller than the Outback -- pretty comparable to the Forester. Just another thought, since I know in my area used Subarus are pretty expensive compared to similar Mazdas.

We had a used Civic for a LONG time as our commuting car, was great. Last year, we bought a Hyandai Elantra, (used but 2019,) for our daughter to learn to drive on, and just for getting around town. So far , it's been great. It does have a recall on it though, so need to check into that soon. We've had recalls though on most of our vehicles at some time or another. I have a van/tank, which I can't stand driving around town. Great for road trips, but as soon as the kids are alittle older, I'm dumping it, and I really want a Subaru. I looked at some the last time our van was getting serviced, and I want an Outback. Hopefully sooner than later can replace van with that!

Last edited:
So many Subaru lovers here, but the best small SUV is the Mazda CX-5. In styling, price, reliability, performance. Look at any reviews and they will confirm this. The CX-5 is my choice.

Just drove my aunts Toyota
So many Subaru lovers here, but the best small SUV is the Mazda CX-5. In styling, price, reliability, performance. Look at any reviews and they will confirm this. The CX-5 is my choice.
What do you think of the mazda cx3? My neighbor likes hers but its pretty low. I'm trying to get something less expensive than the cx5.

I have a Subaru forester and I love it!!! Great gas mileage and awd. The size is perfect for me, I've had sedans and larger suvs and the size of the forester is my sweet spot! Mine is 2010 and we will be upgrading to a newer forester within the year, thinking maybe a 2015-2017.
Subaru is s great choice.
Our son is buying one because of all the cars out there they are one of the few that hold there value.
After a 3 year lease the car us still worth more than the competitors.

So, I just test drove a Crosstrek. I loved the way it handled and drove, visibility was great. But its small! It definitely felt like a downgrade from the outback inside- the dash and storage and screen etc. But I was thinking for so much less it might be great. But the sticker price was 29000!
Looks like the prices are crazy now- like houses. A new outback with the same features as mine is 10,000 more than the price I paid two years ago!

love my 2019 subaru outback. I have the 6 cylinder. They dont do that anymore but have the boxer engine. I can afford to get a much more expensive car now but don't see what I would need that for since my outback has all I need (except for heated steering wheel!!!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter