Any exemptions for adult buffet/family style price for 10 year old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESquared18

Earning My Ears
My son will turn 10 just a few weeks before we go to Disney (we chose to go after his birthday because he has a long weekend from school and it will cut down on the number of days of school he will miss). I've made my peace with the increased ticket price, but due to some medical issues, he eats more like a four or five year old would normally eat (as in, not much) and is small for his age (we have to supplement his calories in other ways). I'm having trouble stomaching paying an adult buffet or family style price when he might eat five bites of something.

My question is, would there be any sort of exemption available to get him the kid price?

And, yes, I understand a lot of kids are picky eaters and/or have issues eating very much. I just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. 😁

Servers and managers don't have the time to monitor food consumption by individuals. The guest who eats very little is offset by guests who consume large quantities. If you have a big eater in your group you might get your monies worth for your entire group. Otherwise you might want to avoid those restaurants.

Vegetarians rarely get their monies worth. People on.a diet. People who had gastric surgery....Your sons situation isn't unique, maybe the exact reasons

I agree with Lewisc above that you'll probably feel your money is better spent at non-buffet/family style restaurants where you could simply share food with your son from a parent's plate, ordering him a drink or perhaps a kid side dish he'll eat.

Kids meal portions are still fairly large for a child who's a light eater.

We would like to do a character meal for him, so that's why I asked.
Honestly, unless budgeting is a major concern, I'd say do the character meal.

At all but Topolino's or Trattoria al Forno (if its character breakfast is back), the food is good enough but not terrific.

Character meals are about the experience as well as not having to stand in a queue for half a lifetime. There's much to be said for sitting in a comfy atmosphere, eating and waiting for characters to come meet YOU.

Since you mention a DAS for your son, you might find a character meal is worth the price even if he eats only a few bites. Can't put a price on beautiful memories. :)

Like I said, I know it isn't that unique, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. I didn't know about DAS until right before our last trip, so you never know unless you ask.

But thanks, @Lewisc, for inserting your snarky opinion in a post that was a yes or no question.

We would like to do a character meal for him, so that's why I asked.
I don't think Lewiscs's response was snarky at all. You basically asked if you could have your 10 yr old get 9yr old pricing. The answer is no and Lewisc explained in more depth as to why you're not special.

Oh the horror telling the restaurant a child who JUST turned ten is really only nine (especially when you know he won’t eat much)! God knows Disney’s really hurting for every red cent right now 🙄. Self righteous people.
Might as well go big. Say your just turned 10 year old is actually 2 years 11 months and just big for their age....then they can just eat off your plate at a buffet.

For park entry you could get a long trench coat and have the kids sit on your shoulders. Why pay for multiple tickets when you can just pay for 1.

Of course, most here have a moral compass and wouldn't do this....but to each their own.

Last edited:

Might as well go big. Say your just turned 10 year old is actually 2 years 11 months and just big for their age....then they can just eat off your plate at a buffet.

For park entry you could get a long trench coat and have the kids sit on your shoulders. Why pay for multiple tickets when you can just pay for 1.

Of course, most here have a moral compass and wouldn't do this....but to each their own.
I will always remember stopping to get our wristbands at MNSSHP when my daughter was 3 (she’s 20 now) and the CM asked me how old she was. I said 3 and he looked at me and said Thank you for being honest.

Disney has cutoffs on what they consider an infant, child and adult with regard to their restaurants. I really don't see them making exceptions if your child happens to be a small eater for whatever reason. Clearly they don't charge extra if an adult is a BIG eater at a buffet, so I don't see your example as being any different.

Unfortunately, at character dining you are paying for the experience as well as the food. As such Disney charges according to ages, regardless of how little or how much a person eats. If you prefer you can meet character in the parks and eat at regular table service restaurants (not pre fixe, all you care to eat, dinner shows, buffets and character dining, dessert parties). You would then be free to order what you would like.

Unfortunately, at character dining you are paying for the experience as well as the food. As such Disney charges according to ages, regardless of how little or how much a person eats. If you prefer you can meet character in the parks and eat at regular table service restaurants (not pre fixe, all you care to eat, dinner shows, buffets and character dining, dessert parties). You would then be free to order what you would like.
There are stories of people who eat/drink nothing at all from the meal due to medical issues and still have to pay full price. Those situations I wish there was a reduction for them.

There are stories of people who eat/drink nothing at all from the meal due to medical issues and still have to pay full price. Those situations I wish there was a reduction for them.
The issue is too many people would lie. You'd have a table to 8 at Chef Mickeys with 1 adult and 1 kid eating..,,and the rest would have a medical issue...while still enjoying the character interaction. If it was even a once a day occurrence at a restaurant Disney would probably make allowances. But I bet it would be closer to once every couple tables.

People need to decide if a WDW experience...including dining...is worth the cost. If you have a medical issue that means you can't eat at particular restaurant...then that family needs to decide if the cost is worth it for the experience. If not, then don't go. A WDW vacations...and all that entails.....isn't a right.

I know I might sound heartless sometimes. But Disney has to draw a line in the sand somewhere and 2 and 9 are where they do it. Dis shuts down any thread that delves into breaking Disney policy, I'm in a few FB groups that are not as strict. Today there was a thread talking about how to manipulate the finger print scan so family members can share APs. Basically sharing tips how to steal from Disney. And unfortunately as prices go higher this thinking happens more and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter