Any info about GTY assingment

rammh

Mouseketeer
I have read all of the GTY threads but wondering if anyone has any insight regarding this.
I have a 7A GTY for June. Last Wednesday I could see all of the veranda rooms disappearing (20 of 29 to be exact) and everyone in my cruise group got their assignments including veranda people.
Does anyone have any insight as to why I would not have mine yet? I know they can let me know at the port, but it just seems so strange that at least 20 rooms were assigned, not including OV or IN. I do not have a VGT, it says 7A GTY in my reservation.
Even people who booked with the same discount I did got rooms (travel agents and cast members)

I have read all of the GTY threads but wondering if anyone has any insight regarding this.
I have a 7A GTY for June. Last Wednesday I could see all of the veranda rooms disappearing (20 of 29 to be exact) and everyone in my cruise group got their assignments including veranda people.
Does anyone have any insight as to why I would not have mine yet? I know they can let me know at the port, but it just seems so strange that at least 20 rooms were assigned, not including OV or IN. I do not have a VGT, it says 7A GTY in my reservation.
Even people who booked with the same discount I did got rooms (travel agents and cast members)
GTY assignments typically show up 30-45 days out from a cruise.

That said, guarantee assignments can be assigned at any time from date of original booking, all the way up to (and including) embarkation day.

GTY assignments typically show up 30-45 days out from a cruise.

That said, guarantee assignments can be assigned at any time from date of original booking, all the way up to (and including) embarkation day.

Understood. Like I said, I read ALL of the GTY threads. Curious as to any logic to why mine hasn't been assigned but MANY others have, including same category. Just looking for some insight. Is doing a partial number at a time a common thing?

Understood. Like I said, I read ALL of the GTY threads. Curious as to any logic to why mine hasn't been assigned but MANY others have, including same category. Just looking for some insight. Is doing a partial number at a time a common thing?
They don't necessarily assign all the guarantee rooms at the same time. They may still be waiting to see what they have available.

It's a crapshoot when it comes to the GTY room assignments. I agree that it is a bit unusual/strange that others have gotten their assignments through the same TA, but not you and I totally feel your frustration.

You still have another month before the cruise. I booked a GTY room several months out last year and received my assignment around day 8 before sailing. For my upcoming cruise, I got the assignment 10 days out.

Like PrincessShmoo said, they may not assign it until embarkation day....although I have not heard this actually happening to anyone. Keep checking every day. I found out before the email so that was fun.

One thing I would like to know is does DCL take your Castaway Club status into consideration when assigning the room. For example: A gold member with a GTY may get deck 10, whereas a silver member may end up on deck 7. I'm not sure if this happens (and it will be difficult to prove without some CM insight) but when I worked in the hotel industry, we would always give our rewards members with status the better room. You do not want to know where we put the people who booked with Priceline and other third parties. I'm only kidding...it was generally a handicapped room as those hardly sold.

Thank you. Yes it seems strange. Actually I am gold (and a travel agent) but my husband and son are first time with DCL! I may never get them on DCL again if we get a Navigators veranda... lol I have not ever booked a GTY for myself or a client.
Hoping it comes soon but so many of the upgradable rooms are now gone due to last weeks round of assignments so my chances of an upgrade became much slimmer.

I would love to know the process for assignment. I know there are people who booked AFTER me that were assigned last week. So I’m not sure if booking date is a factor (although admittedly they are OV I believe)

Like PrincessShmoo said, they may not assign it until embarkation day....although I have not heard this actually happening to anyone. Keep checking every day. I found out before the email so that was fun.

One thing I would like to know is does DCL take your Castaway Club status into consideration when assigning the room.
Happened to us on our first DCL cruise. We didn't know until the day of the cruise what our room number was.

I doubt that DCL takes CC status into account, but I have no inside knowledge as to how they assign rooms. I do know that when you booked, how much you paid, or what type of guarantee you booked has no bearing.

FWIW, our first DCL Cruise. We booked an inside 11A and a 7A GTY. We were assigned a 5B very close to our son’s 11A room. Our TA said he had seen that a lot - keeping families/travel parties closer together. We saw that about 4 weeks out. I don’t know if that’s how they typically do it? Are you part of a group or a single cabin? I’m sure ,our experienced cruisers will chime in, but it’s a thought.

Last edited:
We are a single cabin of 3 people which will likely get us the 7a or 6a that only sleep 3

Happened to us on our first DCL cruise. We didn't know until the day of the cruise what our room number was.

I wish that was my case! We got our room number assigned almost right after booking, giving me enough time to google room reviews and be disappointed. Keeping my fingers crossed it changes again prior to sailing BUT, coming to terms with being okay with what we were assigned, because it's ultimately what we booked.

I have ALWAYS wondered about this also. We are Platinum cruisers and every single one of them has been GTY. I have never been able to spot a pattern. Sometimes we are upgraded, sometimes not, sometimes we get rooms right next to each other, sometimes they are on opposite ends of the ship! There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it, but I would love to know how it all works.

I don’t have any explanation but am in the same situation. I have a 7a for May 27 and we are the only ones still waiting in our FB group.

That's just way too stressful for me. This exact scenario. It's not worth the extra saving for us. I like to pick my category and room and it totally takes the worry and hope out of it. It's exactly what I chose. Same for hotel reservations, I never do the "run of the house" option. Different levels of tolerance for different travel styles.

That's just way too stressful for me. This exact scenario. It's not worth the extra saving for us. I like to pick my category and room and it totally takes the worry and hope out of it. It's exactly what I chose. Same for hotel reservations, I never do the "run of the house" option. Different levels of tolerance for different travel styles.

You may be mixing up GTY and GT. GTY is when Disney has sold enough staterooms in a category that they no longer allow you to book a specific room. You book the category you want as GTY and they'll assign you a stateroom closer to sailing. For really popular cruises if you aren't booking on opening day GTY might be your only option. By the time we booked our Panama Canal cruise on silver day the only option for an inside cabin was GTY. So it's not GTY or pay more a lot of the time. It's GTY or don't book.

GT is the fare type where you get a discount but have to pay in full at the time of booking and don't pick your room. Usually offered after the PIF date.

We have a 7a verandah guarantee on the 8 night eastern in October. There are very few verandah cabins still showing on the Disney cruise site. Does this mean we will be assigned one of the cabins still showing as available, or does Disney cruise line hold back some extra cabins to fill the reservations of the guarantee bookings?

I think that it is not CC status that makes as big a difference, as the number of people you have and what the lifeboat situation is...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter