Any info regarding New Smyrna Beach?

ohio girl

Earning My Ears
Hello everybody! Very new to this so please be kind! We are spending some time in New Smyrna Beach this summer. Was wondering if anyone else has ever visited there and how did you like it? Where did you stay? Anyone know any good restaurants in the area? We think we will be staying at the Oceanview Towers. Please we welcome any opinions or suggestions regarding the area.

Thanks for the response!

New Smyrna Beach is beautiful! We've been there many times, but my family lives there... so I don't have any hotel advice for you.

Have a great time! :)

Never have stayed there....
did drive down there from Daytona Beach (just a few miles north) and ate at a SHELL's restaurant, which was quite good.

How did you like Daytona Beach? Where did you stay there? We are looking at a mom-and-pop place, Ocean Court, in Daytona Beach Shores, any advice?

We loved New Smyrna Beach and the surrounding area - it's much quieter and more in tune with families than the Daytona area (IMHO!) - we were very happy to stay in an ocean-front two bedroom condo - Oceania Plaza - where the only thing between us and the beach was the spotless hotel pool. The Oceania Plaza is quite small and was reasonably priced, and it was a joy to have lots of room.

Unfortunately, we didn't eat out in the NSB area! After 10 days in WDW, we were all tired (yes, even the cook!) of restaurant meals.

cdntowdw -
Daytona Beach is my favorite Florida destination. I always visit Orlando and Daytona Beach (July will be my 10th time in 6 years.)

I prefer to stay in Daytona Beach Shores, like you are. It is quieter, newer and safer area.

I've stayed at the Days Inn Tropical Seas twice,(which is the only clean , nice Days Inn that I've seen in Florida and is my favorite Daytona motel.)
I've also stayed at the Quality Inn Ocean Palms three times. It used to be clean and nice but the housekeeping was bad the last time so I won't stay there again.
I've also stayed at Holiday Inn DB shores, it is about on par with the Days inn at a higher price.

Use Exit 85 off I 95 to get to the Shores, it has less traffic and is a prettier drive.

Other restaurants that I like :
Cracker Barrel on W. International Speedway Blvd. near the speedway.
Denny's on South A1A should be close to your motel and has good breakfasts. (avoid the timeshare lady sitting by the front door!)

There is also a supermarket on south A1A, I think it is a Publix, which is a good place to buy cheap snacks, soda, chips, etc.

If you say "Noo SMEER-nuh", you'll immediately identify yourself as an out of towner.

Locals say "Noo suh-MEER-nuh" with three syllables in Smyrna.

Travelcoupons - thanks for all the great info on Daytona Beach Shores. I've picked a small place, Ocean Court Motel, ran by a British family. My map shows it to be almost if not right next door to the Quality Inn, on the south corner of Minerva Street. Glad to hear this is a good area. I'm looking forward to my week at the beach, I just love the beach!!!

Be careful! A newspaper article through our local paper (via the AP) was talking about the increase in shark attacks - several in one week at New Smyrna Beach. They were "small" sharks(???) but bit several surfers and vacationers nonetheless. They are attributing the increase in attacks because there is a 'breeding' area for other fish right near there and the sharks are looking for food. Also, some local municapalities are putting a ban on the businesses that take people out in the ocean to 'hand feed' sharks. The authorities feel the sharks are becoming used to this handfeeding and perhaps looking for food from these "unsuspecting" swimmers.

There were no attacks at Cocoa, Daytona or Clearwater.

I have family that lives near there and New Smyrna is there favorite beach with Clearwater second.

Just thought I would create the awareness...........

There have been shark bites on the news twice when I was in Daytona (off Daytona beach) in previous years. It is rare, but it does happen.

I've always heard New Smyrna pronounced like:

Noo suh-MUR-na

they myr should rhyme with fur.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter