Any Minnesota members?

Mtnman44

DIS Veteran
I'm considering a job offer which will require a big move. I'm in Utah right now, within driving distance to Disneyland which we take advantage of often. Being the Disney nuts we are, one of the top considerations with a major move is how will it affect our Disney vacations...:lmao:

Anyway, I'd be curious for any comments from the Minnesota perspective on travel to DLR and WDW.

Thanks!

We are in Minnesota, as are quite a few DVC members. We go to WDW 2-3 times a year and we have been to DLR once a year the past couple of years.

Yep.

In and out of the Twin Cities the airfare market is pretty tied up by Northwest Airlines. So cheap fares don't happen much - particularly not direct. AirTran and SunCountry fly in and out of Orlando (SunCountry is local, flies direct, but only flies a short schedule - i.e. you leave at 7:00 am or that is it, AirTran didn't have direct flights last I checked).

Don't know about LA, but the airport is sort of owned by Northwest, so I'd imagine a similar situation.

Its a 24 hour drive between Orlando and the Twin Cities.

Lot's of us DVCers here in MN!

Getting to and from WDW is not a pain at all. I got at least 2 times a year and I am usually able to find airfare for a very fair price and I love the MSP airport (both Lindbergh and HHH are great!).

I don't go to DL very often, but it would be just as easy to get there.

You will LOVE Minnesota. I know most of us do!!!

We have figured out how to time our airfare searches. We usually can get MCO tickets from NWA for around $250 each, and sometimes around $200. We learned a long time ago that even though NWA kind of has you held captive, it is best to stick with our local airlines, because if you go for a cheaper fare from Delta, you can end up losing a day of vacation. We once took Delta and were 12 hours late getting in! ATA used to have direct flights but that was the same problem, and now they only go with connections through Chicago. We love Sun Country, but since it was sold last year, the fares haven't been as good.

Same, its a great state. We are heading down in June for trip number 4 in 10 months. We alternate NWA and Suncountry depending on fares. They are both direct and have always worked out very well.

Just reserved spring break today at 11 months for BCV (Eden Prairie's Spring Break). :cool1:

Jade, we are waiting to book our new AKV points for March, so I haven't made ours yet. Does EP have the last week of March or the 3rd week off?

Hi Diane, yea it is the first week of April (has been for a few years now)-I noticed March 23 is Easter so it may help. I just reserved the 5 days during the week at this point and we check out 11 months from today 4-4-08-OK lets concentrate on check in March 30.

Another MN person checking in...

NWA can have good fares to MCO. You just have to know what a good fare is from MSP. Rule of thumb for me is when it gets around $230 per person (that includes all taxes, etc) then that's when I start seriously consider buying.

I know exactly what I want each time I fly. I want the first flight out of the morning and an afternoon flight on my way home. I know typically that means I want NWA 587 on the way down and NWA 586 on the way back, if I am flying NWA.

I have flown Sun Country and have found them pleasant to fly, if they have a good price. And their times fit with how I like to travel.

Airtran DOES have one non-stop flight MSP-MCO, but it typically has been leaving after 9am. And it has one non-stop flight MCO-MSP at mid-afternoon. I don't care for them...no real problems...they just seem to like to change their schedule up more than I like when I book in advance.

Flying to CA for DL...no real experience, but while there are fewer direct flights to MCO, there are much more to LA on several different airlines.

Being in the middle of the country, you probably are about the same flight time away from either Mouse House.

thanks for the info. We're at a Delta hub right now and we sure love the direct flights to MCO, especially with kids.

My experience with NW in the past has been terrible but it looks like that is the only show in town for non stops. $200 to $250 is about the same price wise but I won't be able to use my Delta AMEX miles anymore, so that will be painful. No better airline miles card around I'm afraid.

What we've been learning about Minnesota is very nice, but man we would miss the many nat. forests and mountains that we live in right now.
:confused3

Anyone care to tell me what kind of outdoor camping, RVing, & other mountain-type activities are available?

Thanks!

Well, we don't have mountains here. But there are a ton of state forests and parks and some national parks as well. There are a lot of outdoor activities that you can participate in as well...it just depends on what part of the state you are in.

Check out http://www.exploreminnesota.com

That's an excellent place to check out what's available outdoors-wise in the state.

Are you moving to the Twin Cities area, or another part of MN?

FWIW, NWA isn't as bad as we all make it out to be IMHO.

Flights are on-time, my luggage has never been lost, and most important to me, the schedule to MCO is consistently the same. Well, they are actually pretty consistent to other places I fly on a regular basis, too.

And if they change their schedule, they email me right away with the changes. With Delta, when I have flown them...they have NEVER notified me...I found out on my own or through the DIS. One reason I avoid Delta, even if their fare is cheap...a single minute change loses your seat assignments and you can't fix that online. But I digress...

I think we gripe because they have a monopoly and we know it. So we kind of feel stuck. But for the most part, when you look at how much it costs to put one of those planes in the air...NWA has one of the lower costs per mile, last I saw the list. I think Southwest and maybe one other airline had a lower cost per mile than NWA.

I don't love NWA, I don't hate NWA...they just are what they are.

Anyone care to tell me what kind of outdoor camping, RVing, & other mountain-type activities are available?

Thanks!

Where are you moving?

Minnesota is the "Land of 10,000 Lakes" Lots of people love the outdoors here. People go to cabins "up North" in the summer and lots of people have lake homes (or know someone who does). There are a number of state parks and camping up at the Boundry Waters Canoe Area is about as outdoorsy as you can get. Outdoors tends to revolve around water, but no mountains. A decent sized hill or two. Lots of hunters, too.

You'll find a big difference between the Twin Cities and Duluth or Southwest Minnesota in terms of what its like.

Coming from Utah, you may want to research Minnesota winters before taking the plunge. But the freezing weather really makes us appreciate the January trips to Disney!

Closest mountains from the Twin Cities would be the Black Hills in South Dakota... about a 9 hour drive (and a great RV'ing/camping destination).

There are so many things tod o outside here, I can't even begin to tell you. Really, we have camping, lakes, fishing, boating, the boundary waters, skiing in the winter, snow tubing, snow shoeing, the most beautiful fall colors, apple season and so much more.

One thing to learn here...there are two seasons...winter and road construction (unless you are lucky and live off the major projects, then it's mosquito season)...just kidding of course, it's not that bad.

Also NWA is in ME so you can check bags and get your boarding pass at BCV before you head to MCO. Suncountry is not.

As of May 5th AirTran is also ME and Resort Airline Check-in. We fly only direct flights and use NWA, AirTran or Sun Country depending on flight times and price. We are starting to prefer SC and AirTran because flying out of HHH is so much easier than Lindbergh terminal.
The "Theater of Seasons" in Minnesota is amazing. Winters can seem long but that surely does make spring seem spectacular! We are ranked high on many "Quality of Life" lists. Good luck on your move!

As of May 5th AirTran is also ME and Resort Airline Check-in. QUOTE]

Thats great. Have never used Airtran. How is your experience with them-do you go to a web site or just use a Trevelocity or something? I have seen flights but I dont remember if the times are kind of bad or what, but will look closer from now on. We like early out and later back.

jade1--

Airtran's non-stop typically leaves around 9am MSP-MCO and then around 1pm MCO-MSP. They also have a lot of other flights that make a stop, usually in Atlanta, at all times of the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter