Any news on projected reopening for Water Parks?

erinch

Parsing the same ee cummings poem for 20 years
I don’t think I’ve seen anything at all about potential time schedules?

Probably not until the CPs can be brought in again. A lot of the slide ops and life guards are CPs.

I would guess 2021, based on nothing but a gut feeling. It’s already August and they close one every winter anyways. I will really miss Typhoon Lagoon this next trip!

Both water parks likely will not be fully operational until at least March 2021.

The largest problem is staffing. As others have mentioned, the water parks garner most of their labor from the CP, which has been suspended and likely won’t be back until maybe later next year. At the moment, the FT/PT CMs from the water parks are working mostly in World Showcase. But even beyond staffing, the water parks do the vast majority of their business during these summer months (May-Sept). Given the extreme likelihood that the water parks will not be able to reopen by the end of next month, they’ll enter their slow season when usually just one is open, so there’s no way they’d open both before they’re out of that slow season next March. This is especially true, given that they still have to perform their annual maintenance on the water parks. Even though they’re not operational, they still require those annual check-ups and annual work. Not to mention, there are demand issues right now and logistical issues regarding how to operate a water park safely in the midst of a pandemic (how to enforce social distancing, what do you do about masks, etc). At this point, Disney has made the calculation that reopening the water parks isn’t worth the cost and immense effort of figuring out answers to those problems.

Last edited:
I was chatting with a lifeguard at Riviera and he said that there is no definite date, probably next year some time. :scratchin

Both water parks likely will not be fully operational until at least March 2021.

The largest problem is staffing. As others have mentioned, the water parks garner most of their labor from the CP, which has been suspended and likely won’t be back until maybe later next year. At the moment, the FT/PT CMs from the water parks are working mostly in World Showcase. But even beyond staffing, the water parks do the vast majority of their business during these summer months (May-Sept). Given the extreme likelihood that the water parks will not be able to reopen by the end of next month, they’ll enter their slow season when usually just one is open, so there’s no way they’d open both before they’re out of that slow season next March. This is especially true, given that they still have to perform their annual maintenance on the water parks. Even though they’re not operational, they still require those annual check-ups and annual work. Not to mention, there are demand issues right now and logistical issues regarding how to operate a water park safely in the midst of a pandemic (how to enforce social distancing, what do you do about masks, etc). At this point, Disney has made the calculation that reopening the water parks isn’t worth the cost and immense effort of figuring out answers to those problems.
I hope, whenever the need arises, that Disney would hire locally again. I know the CP is a big deal but tons of locals need employment, not too long ago they hired regularly but ever since the CP really took off there's less and less spots for central Floridians

We will be going in October. Daughter’s fiancé has never been to Disney and never been to a water park. I got them a day at Discovery Cove (at 40% off!) and the 2 week admission to Aquatica and Sea World as an engagement/graduation present. She was looking forward to showing him where she got knocked over by waves at the age of 5 at TL. She’ll turn 25 on the trip.

I hope, whenever the need arises, that Disney would hire locally again. I know the CP is a big deal but tons of locals need employment, not too long ago they hired regularly but ever since the CP really took off there's less and less spots for central Floridians
Disney is going to need both. I don’t think the DCP falters because of this as they just built (nearly complete) a huge new housing complex. That said I think they maybe focus less on it. With 77,000 employees at WDW alone they need a lot of people. A lot of people don’t want to or are over qualified for front line positions too which is where the DCP comes in.

Disney is going to need both. I don’t think the DCP falters because of this as they just built (nearly complete) a huge new housing complex. That said I think they maybe focus less on it. With 77,000 employees at WDW alone they need a lot of people. A lot of people don’t want to or are over qualified for front line positions too which is where the DCP comes in.
I drive by Flamingo Crossings almost every day, it's looking awesome. I hope you're right

Looking at the new park hours for our October trip, and the DIS has Typhoon and Blizzard open 10-5 on 10/7. Is that a mistake? I'm guessing yes...I was super excited for a minute.

Looking at the new park hours for our October trip, and the DIS has Typhoon and Blizzard open 10-5 on 10/7. Is that a mistake? I'm guessing yes...I was super excited for a minute.
Yeah, I wouldn’t expect them open before next spring.

They did the samething in July, had water park hours posted alongside the other park hours for reopening week.

The current goal is to get Typhoon Lagoon up in March 2021, but that is dependent on a vaccine or highly effective therapeutic.

We will be going in October. Daughter’s fiancé has never been to Disney and never been to a water park. I got them a day at Discovery Cove (at 40% off!) and the 2 week admission to Aquatica and Sea World as an engagement/graduation present. She was looking forward to showing him where she got knocked over by waves at the age of 5 at TL. She’ll turn 25 on the trip.
How did you get 40% off?

Discovery cove was running a sale that went through August 9. Maybe I’d you call and ask nicely?

You can now add on the Water Parks and more option to 2021 tickets starting on March 7. So maybe we can read something into that....

You can now add on the Water Parks and more option to 2021 tickets starting on March 7. So maybe we can read something into that....
They’re opening 1 water park on 3/7. That was announced a week or so ago. They didn’t announce which one will be opening on that date however.

They’re opening 1 water park on 3/7. That was announced a week or so ago. They didn’t announce which one will be opening on that date however.
And what about park hopping? They are selling tickets for park hopping starting Jan 1 but no real announcement?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter