Any other pressed penny collectors out there?

I never knew people collected these things!! Although, people collect the strangest things... so, pressed pennies doesn't seem too far out in left field.

Every once in a while I see one of the machines... Now, I'll think of you guys and remember that someone is collecting these things!

Keep on pressing!!

I have pennies from all over the US. At last count I had around 350. It's the only souvenir I actively search for on any trip.

I have pennies from all over the US. At last count I had around 350. It's the only souvenir I actively search for on any trip.

Wow, impressive collection! I just counted mine... about 175. Feel like it should be more by now though! I just don't get out too often I suppose. :(

Another container that is perfect for carrying your quarters/pennies is glucose tablet containers. If you know someone who is diabetic, they may have an empty one you can have. If not, they are pretty inexpensive and you can buy them at any pharmacy. They are pretty much just sugar wafers, no medications, so don't worry about dumping them out.

I looked everywhere for the mini M&Ms for our last trip, but could not find them. Then I was cleaning out my purse and ran across my own glucose tabs. Voila! Perfect fit!

And thanks for all the tips. Never realized the age of the pennies made a difference. Also didn't know about the lists at GS. Sorry, new at this ... :lmao:

Subscribing! I'm a pressed penny fan. I started collecting them to put them in my scrapbooks for my trips...but then I ended up with too many! :)

But speaking of which, does this make me the cheapest person alive? Whenever I see pressed quarter machines, I pass them by because I think it's too expensive.

I'm the same way! It has to be really special for me to do the $1.25 Quarter presses. That - and I need those quarters for the penny presses! :)

Darkfirewolf ... what is Bat's Day at WDW???

Sorry this is not directly pressed penny related ... but I am a frequent penny presser!

Bat's Day is at Disneyland, not WDW. It's a day for people who are part of the Goth subculture to get together, make new friends, shop, and enjoy some Disney magic.

The website is at http://www.batsday.net and there was a small thread in the Disneyland boards about it here.

:)

ps - Disneyland also has some wonderful pressed pennies. I hope to get back there and get some of the unique ones.

My Mom collects them and has several of the special books for them full.

A story about one she got at Disneyworld, she found one there so dug out her money, put it in the slot and was just about to choose which one she wanted when this kid, maybe 6 or 7 years old, stepped up and pushed the button to make it work! Mom, of course, was a little upset and the kid's mother did tell him he was wrong to do that and she gave Mom the money to get another one, but then the mother said something about Mom getting upset about it and that "Disney is for kids anyway!" The kid was definitely old enough to know better, and apparantly the woman thought my Mom and I shouldn't even be there since Disney is only for kids. :(

I recently spent an afternoon polishing old pennies with my dremel (and a teeny dab of metal polish).

Wow. These are gonnna be beautiful pressed.

And thanks for all the tips. Never realized the age of the pennies made a difference. Also didn't know about the lists at GS. Sorry, new at this ... :lmao:

Don't feel bad, many collecters even don't know the difference among the different pennies! I didn't know until I actually started getting into it online and joining different forums. Now it's kind of funny, I was at the Atlanta Zoo a couple of days ago but forgot to bring my pressing pennies. I went into the gift store and said, Hi, I need a penny for the penny machine, do you have--and she interrupted, "A shiny one?", and I said no, give me the oldest one you got! And she was pretty confused, but obviously most people come by and want the shiniest one in the drawer. :)

I used to collect pennies- Ended up with 9 books full but haven't collected in years since the fiasco of the DL 50th penny set and since it seems most of the machines have been changed I'd have to start over :)

I still prefer shiny pennies to old ones-

-em

Had not heard of these before today, not a big thing in the UK.

Can anyone advise me where I would be able to get the pennies from, when I reach Orlando, should I go to a bank and change some dollars up?

Also do they sell the display books in Disney shops

Had not heard of these before today, not a big thing in the UK.

Can anyone advise me where I would be able to get the pennies from, when I reach Orlando, should I go to a bank and change some dollars up?

Also do they sell the display books in Disney shops

Hello wildelady ...

You can get the display books at almost any shop in WDW ... they are nice and small about 5" x 4" when folded shut. The first 3 pages hold 12 pennies each and the fourth page holds 6 quarters.

I wouldn't spend the extra time going to a bank to pick up a shiny roll of new pennies. Often in change you will get enough bright ones to satisfy your penny pressing needs. And you can always ask at any Disney shop to have the clerk change a dime or quarter for the brightest pennies in their change drawer ... they know exactly why and are always happy to help.

If you really want to go crazy ... and use only pre-1982 US pennies (before the metal compostion was changed to mostly zinc which creates an odd look when pressed) you can go on eBay and buy an uncirculated roll. Of course the extra postage to the UK will be dear ... but that just becomes part of the legend you get to tell.

And finally, if you (or any other Pressed Penny Folks on this thread) wants to send me an email with your mailing address ... I am happy to mail you a couple of 1943 wartime steel pennies for the fun of it. They add a different twist to the pressing. My dad kept throwing those in a can back in the 1960s and I have several hundred. Happy to share them with other Disney Pressed Penny Fanatics!!!

My DD5 fell in love with the penny press machines at DLR last August. She came home with almost a whole book full! She loves her press collection so much...she's even taken it to school for show and tell! :rotfl:

Does anyone know where I can find a list of the press locations around the WDW complex? I'd love to be able to point these out to her on our trip next month.

I'm not too serious about them but I do have about 20 pennies and 4 quarter pressed coins. I pick up 1-2 each trip to the Mouse.

My DD5 fell in love with the penny press machines at DLR last August. She came home with almost a whole book full! She loves her press collection so much...she's even taken it to school for show and tell! :rotfl:

Does anyone know where I can find a list of the press locations around the WDW complex? I'd love to be able to point these out to her on our trip next month.

http://www.presscoins.com/

That is such a great idea! is there a way to find out where they are all located in the parks? the only I've seen was the one they had at the end of splash mountain.

i love the pressed pennies! i got three on my past trip and i cant wait to get more next trip! :goodvibes

My husband and I cannot WAIT to start our Disney pressed penny collection.

I have no idea what happened to the ones I did as a kid!

That is such a great idea! is there a way to find out where they are all located in the parks? the only I've seen was the one they had at the end of splash mountain.

My (adult) DD printed out the lists for each park at WDW from:
www.presscoins.com It was really helpful to go after ones I want for my Disney collection .... she and the grandson just grab everyone they can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter