Any post-Disneyland trip illnesses/covid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been a couple times for short visits. We didn't get sick. Wore masks the whole time and used hand sanitizer whenever we passed one. The lack of social distancing is what caused me to cancel our Dec visit. People feel a need to push their bodies up against ours in lines. That is not socially acceptable anywhere else.

when we went in June I used an umbrella for the sun and was happy to discover it is also useful for keeping people away.

I have visited 5 times (2 days each time, two of those with an older kid, three with adults or just me) since June, and have not picked anything up there. We have had covid twice at our house (just one person each time) and it was never within a month of one of those trips. We did a mix of indoor and outdoor dining, did fireworks, etc. and there is very little distancing in lines. We are not overly careful germ-wise (we wash our hands, try to give others breathing space, especially in line, and wear a mask inside, but only because it is required) but are pretty good about keeping our immune systems strong. I'm always more worried I'll pick something up on one of these trips because we are eating a bunch of sugar and not sleeping as well than I am because it's any more dangerous an environment than normal life. (Grocery store, schools - our kids are all unmasked in AZ, church, life, play dates...) I hope you have a great trip!

Last edited:
We went over Halloween weekend and the following week in November. It was VERY busy the entire time. While there, we noted about a 40% compliance rate on masking. We wore ours at all times, except when eating/drinking. We carried sanitizer with us every day and used it constantly, as well as stops by the men's room to actually wash with soap/water.

We did NOT get sick before/during/or after our trip. I will also preface that with the comment that about 5 days before our heading to CA, we started taking Airborne/Elderberry. And we continued taking it for a week after our return. We've done the Airborne thing for years. We did have indoor meals during our trip (Catal; Storytellers; Blue Bayou; Lamplight). Our other meals were outdoors.

We were there over Thanksgiving week- vaccinated and boosted. Wore masks when required but otherwise didn't wear them outside at all. Watched the parade, fireworks, etc. in large crowds. Was there on Thanksgiving Day and it was packed-squeezed in shoulder to shoulder with folks, etc. "Fill in all the available space!" and all that. Ate indoors nearly every day/etc. We did not get sick and tested negative (we always test after trips since covid became a thing) when we got back. Followed all Disney masking rules but did not mask up outside or where it wasn't required.

I was there for 2 days in August and 2 days in December and came back fully healthy both times. Pre-pandemic, I came back with PLENTY of colds when I went to theme parks. More often than not really. While not everyone is perfect all the time, I do think masking, handwashing and the santizing has certainly helped with that. I haven't even had so much as a cold in 2 years. (I do know that it's partly because of precautions, but also partly luck and privilege that have kept me from getting COVID or any other illness though. So, your mileage may vary.)

Yes, we have UV Umbrellas, which are useful, and as I discovered, my cane is also very useful for keeping people at the proper distance. :thumbsup2

Is it because you hit them with the cane when they get too close? :teeth: Every time I've been to the parks since October, at least one person has stepped on my cane (of course, the first time, it was my DH :headache:) and on December 4th, I had 4 people step on it and 1 kick it. Is there some trick I don't know about to keep people from being that close?

My teen and I flew to California from Florida and spent December 5-9 at Disneyland Hotel. Enjoyed IMMENSELY our first-ever trip to Disneyland Resort (we are WDW regulars). Park hopped between Disneyland and DCA, dined indoors, watched parades, waited in lines, shopped, met characters. We masked where required, washed hands frequently and used plenty of hand sanitizer. We both came home HEALTHY and very HAPPY (and head over heels in love with Disneyland)✨

Is it because you hit them with the cane when they get too close? :teeth: Every time I've been to the parks since October, at least one person has stepped on my cane (of course, the first time, it was my DH :headache:) and on December 4th, I had 4 people step on it and 1 kick it. Is there some trick I don't know about to keep people from being that close?

Honestly, all I do is hold it out behind me when I stop. I put the tip on the floor where I expect them to stop. IF they manage to kick, it, I ask them to please refrain from kicking my cane out from under me. That has rarely happened, but it has. I've only had one family ignore the cane and literally be on my heels. The next time we moved forward, I turned around, holding my cane directly at them, and said "No ma'am, you can keep your distance. I don't know you well enough for you to be that close to me." They literally kept the proper distance after that. I wasn't rude (imo), I was just matter-of-fact with them. That was in the line for Slinky Dog Dash, btw.

We were there 2 days mid June (fully vaxxed), 3 days in Sept and at OBB, me solo December 2-3, by which time I was boosted. Varying degrees of mask compliance, but mostly pretty good indoors. I kept mine on inside and outside, washed frequently, went for the hand sanitizer at the ride exits, and kept my mask on in restaurants except while actively eating. Really, I was more worried about the airport and the flights. Thankfully we all stayed healthy. DH and I are supposed to head back Jan 19-24th, and we are rethinking it now due to Omicron. Even boosted, I don't want to pick it up inadvertantly, and possibly asymptomatically, and pass it on. Going to see how things go... unless Alaska reinstitutes their free rescheduling policy, we'd have to eat the "savers" airfare.

I went back in July (Adults are vaxxed) and our family were always masked with KN94s. We only ate outside and at Plaza inn and Lamplight lounge. My little one (age 4) got sick with a cold. No one else got sick.

Even before Covid my kids would get sick after or during a trip to Disneyland. So we started bringing baby wipes and sanitizer to use after each ride we went on. Just imagine the hundreds of people touching the same thing you're sitting or riding on. It's germy and disgusting to begin with (and in the summer, sweaty). LOL

That being said, we cancelled our trip that was supposed to happen this week because of crowds and the rise in cases.

We have a 12 day trip coming up starting Thurs. Of the 3 of us, 2 have had Covid, been vaxed, and been boosted. (the other lucked out and I didn't infect her a year ago.) We do wear masks inside and outside in close spaces.

Just FYI, we were there yesterday and there were a LOT of people masking outdoors. Like, a lot more than usual. I also didn't have anyone all up in my space in any lines. People kept at least a few feet of distance, and we waited in a lot of long lines.

Was there yesterday as well and I don’t think I saw this at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter