Any U.S. Air frequent flyers.........

figmentvi

DIS Veteran<br><font color=red>Lightning Rod Extra
out there?????????

I will very soon have enough miles on USAir for two tickets to MCO in Dec. I'm debating on whether to hold off until we know more about USAir's status or to just go ahead and get the tickets now and pray that they remain solvent.

What are your opinions????????

Thanks,
Linda

If you go to their website and read their annual report it may make you feel better about it, it does not appear that they intend to go belly up but rather are looking at reorganization.

If they do go belly up, you would probably lose the miles anyway, so what do you have to lose?

I've got enough US FF miles for three first class tickets. I refuse to use FF miles to buy a ticket that I can buy for under $200. Regretfully US doesn't fly anywhere I want to go that's expensive. (Hawaii or Calgary for example)

I've been debating what to do as well. I'm almost thinking about buying first class upgrades for my August trip with some of the miles. But for right now I'm holding until I see how the negotiations with the unions do. I don't think that US will cease to operate. In my case the thought about the upgrade serves the purpose of also using up points that I do'nt know what else to do with.

My worst case scenario will be to dump the US miles into my Hilton honors account, but you lose so much value that way :(

In your case, you probably have nothing to lose. Also, FF seats are restricted, there are only so many. Get your tickets, otherwise the seats might not be available later.

Anne

My Mom and I booked 2 tickets with FF miles for December last week. They can be hard to get, so I would call now. We wanted to go on Saturday Dec 7 but all they had non-stop was 8:55pm, arriving 11:15pm (PIT-MCO). Friday had morning flights available, so we took them and got a DC rate at CBR for the night (checking into BWV Sat). There is no talk of them ceasing operations in the near future, so I am not worried about it. If anything, I wanted to get these miles redeemed in case they change their program if they merge with another airline. With our trip 2 weeks ago, I went over 40,000, so even after getting my free ticket I still have enough for another one.

One thing - you have to pay the $5 security tax per ticket ($2.50 per flight). Since our tickets were coming from separate FF accounts, I had to have both my mom's and my charge card #'s to charge the tax.

We also are FF on USAir and I agree with ducklite that getting your tickets ASAP is best because of availability being limited.

Anne (ducklite), we used our FF miles with USAirways to fly to Los Angeles and then took Delta, which we paid for, to get the four of us to Hawaii in 1996. It worked out well and it was not that expensive at the time from CA. It's a long flight (11 hours in the air total) and the small lay over and switching of airlines was actually a blessing because we took our two children. But it got us there and it was a vacation none of us will ever forget!

RobinLyn :)

US Airways pulled out of our local airport a few years ago, so my DH rarely flies with them. Fortunately, he combined most of his US Airways miles with American Airlines miles a few years ago for an American award. It's too bad you can't do that any longer.

Good luck, Linda...hopefully there will be no problem using the tickets in December.

I have enough miles for 4 rd trip tickets and I also hesitate to use them to fly to Orlando, when I can BUY the tickets to Orlando for about $140 each. This past month I used some miles to fly first class to Las Vegas, and it was WONDERFUL. I would really like to take the kids to Alaska, but since that is not included on my plan (contiguous US only), it was suggested that I buy tickets to Washington (state) and then take a bus to Alaska. So this way I can use the miles to its fullest advantage. However, if you are traveling to Orlando from further away than the east coast, then I would definitely use the frequent flier miles to go to Orlando, regardless of USAirs status. I am saving my miles still and have my fingers crossed that things will turn around and I won't lose them. If things start to look bad though, I will be on my way to Alaska (or even California) really soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter