Anyone affected by the Federal Government shut down?

I thought they're saying active duty military wouldn't be affected. Anyway, even if you don't live paycheck to paycheck, the uncertainty is scary.
As in, they still go to work, but they won't be paid until the get it figured out and up and running again. My DH is also in the Army. For us, it's not a huge deal, as we're older and have a good amount saved (although we'll be losing interest if/when we have to pull from our investments,) however there are A Lot of military (often young with young families) who will have real issues and problems paying bills/food etc. They're also in a unique situation where many of the spouses don't work or have pretty low paying jobs, since they're constantly moving, starting over and if have children are often the sole caregiver for their kids. For them, I def. feel for and worry about so hopefully they get it done soon.

I have family who are military. My nephew said he is paid on the 1st and 15th of each month. When I texted him this morning and asked if he needed anything, he said no. They were paid last week. He said it's doubtful the shutdown will last until February 1 so they will be good to go then as well. He doesn't understand why people are saying the military won't be getting paid.
As long as it's up and running again by the 1st, your correct there will be no interruption, which I assume will happen, but if it's still shut down on the 1st, they won't get played. They will eventually and get back pay for whatever they're owed, but for low ranking, young families, it's a real concern as many of them are paycheck to paycheck.

My understanding (based solely on my DH's opinion) from before when this was happening is that there will be people furloughed and people who are required to work. In the end, they will probably be paid the same. Those who work will work for nothing and will get back pay when things are settled. Those who don't work will probably get back pay too.

My DH will be working, but would rather be furloughed.

My understanding (based solely on my DH's opinion) from before when this was happening is that there will be people furloughed and people who are required to work. In the end, they will probably be paid the same. Those who work will work for nothing and will get back pay when things are settled. Those who don't work will probably get back pay too.

My DH will be working, but would rather be furloughed.
Yes, last time my Dad, who worked for Homeland Security was furloughed, and ended up getting back pay for all of it.

I'm in my late 40s & have seen this happen a few times in my lifetime. Eventually, it's resolved & people get paid. People have always made a bigger deal about it than what was warranted. My dad worked for the government & I've had & still have relatives in the military. Government jobs, especially military, are more protected than most jobs. I know people worry about it, but government workers, especially military, are much more protected than most in this country. Those who don't literally live pay check to pay check will be fine. Those in the military who do live pay check to pay check have much more protection than the normal citizen would have in this circumstance. I'm not saying it's right, but it's not unheard of. It would be much worse for civilians working for a large company. I do hope it's resolved soon & everything can get back to business as usual.

Assuming the morons in DC haven’t acted, I’ll be furloughed. A little thought-of downside to furloughs and the sequestration furlough is we lose the days toward time-in-grade and towards retirement credit, too. It has a lasting impact.
I’m DOD. I’ll have to go in Monday for “orderly transition” and to sign my letter. I think I’ll wear my pajamas.

I'm in my late 40s & have seen this happen a few times in my lifetime. Eventually, it's resolved & people get paid. People have always made a bigger deal about it than what was warranted. My dad worked for the government & I've had & still have relatives in the military. Government jobs, especially military, are more protected than most jobs. I know people worry about it, but government workers, especially military, are much more protected than most in this country. Those who don't literally live pay check to pay check will be fine. Those in the military who do live pay check to pay check have much more protection than the normal citizen would have in this circumstance. I'm not saying it's right, but it's not unheard of. It would be much worse for civilians working for a large company. I do hope it's resolved soon & everything can get back to business as usual.

Easy to say when it’s not your paycheck. A deployed service member whose family won’t receive his/her pay could quickly be in dire straits. Rent still is due. Utilities still have to be paid. Cars still need gas. Families still need groceries. In the meantime the service member is supposed to be focusing on the mission, not worrying about the family’s basic well-being.
Same financial factors likely apply for a lower grade civil servant in a high cost area.
Yeah, military will eventually get paid. Most likely civilians will, too. But what a crappy way to treat people. It sows uncertainty and disillusionment.

Easy to say when it’s not your paycheck. A deployed service member whose family won’t receive his/her pay could quickly be in dire straits. Rent still is due. Utilities still have to be paid. Cars still need gas. Families still need groceries. In the meantime the service member is supposed to be focusing on the mission, not worrying about the family’s basic well-being.
Same financial factors likely apply for a lower grade civil servant in a high cost area.
Yeah, military will eventually get paid. Most likely civilians will, too. But what a crappy way to treat people. It sows uncertainty and disillusionment.

All I can say is I've known people in both situations. Military employees will eventually get paid, which they should. They earn what they make. I've seen more than one civilian company go bankrupt where the employees were never paid. They told their employees to go home & look for a job. At least with a government job, the money will eventually be there. Hopefully, the US government will never file bankruptcy & shut down completely. If that happens, we're all in trouble. I have seen that happen to more than one company in the civilian world. I hate that this is happening to military & government employees, but it would be much worse in the civilian world. If you've never seen a company go under, you're very fortunate. Hopefully, this will be resolved quickly, as it has been in the past, & business will continues as usual.

All I can say is I've known people in both situations. Military employees will eventually get paid, which they should. They earn what they make. I've seen more than one civilian company go bankrupt where the employees were never paid. They told their employees to go home & look for a job. At least with a government job, the money will eventually be there. Hopefully, the US government will never file bankruptcy & shut down completely. If that happens, we're all in trouble. I have seen that happen to more than one company in the civilian world. I hate that this is happening to military & government employees, but it would be much worse in the civilian world. If you've never seen a company go under, you're very fortunate. Hopefully, this will be resolved quickly, as it has been in the past, & business will continues as usual.
You mean military employees like active duty soldiers,sailors, airmen and marines, right? Men and women who perform dangerous jobs in deadly situations where lapses in concentration can and do prove fatal. Worrying about whether their families can afford the basics is a lot to add to their plates. It can be that lapse. If part of your contract is potentially being asked to die for company policy, there should never be a stop payment option on that paycheck. Period.
This furlough is about government workers and military members. It has zip to do with civilian industry. Civilian business furloughs/layoffs suck. Been there.
We can agree on our hope for a quick resolution. I think our country is or should be better than this.

I'm not directly affected, but I feel for people who are - especially the young military families! I'll be sure to make a food pantry donation, but does anyone know of groups that help them specifically?

I have family who are military. My nephew said he is paid on the 1st and 15th of each month. When I texted him this morning and asked if he needed anything, he said no. They were paid last week. He said it's doubtful the shutdown will last until February 1 so they will be good to go then as well. He doesn't understand why people are saying the military won't be getting paid.

Just to be dramatic. Certain talking points are being pushed out there. Your nephew is correct. They just got paid and I also believe the military itself is funded through 1 February. On top of that, no political person is going to vote against a special act to pay the military. It would be political suicide, if not worse.

My husband, brother, and dad are all DoD Civil Service employees. DH still has to work regardless of pay. His next payday is this this Thursday (24th) and I expect it will be partial pay up to the 19th. Because he still has to work, he will get back pay. Some DoD employees, like my brother, will not be allowed to work. Others like DH must work regardless. It depends if they are deemed emergency essentials and a few other factors.

Our military retirement checks and VA disability checks will still come on the 1st. We are both retired military and both get VA disability. I also work for a private company now that is not impacted by the shutdown.

My pay period ended this past Friday (19th). I was told that the paycheck on the 24th would be issued.

Agreed-it's disgusting. I wonder what the rationale and history is behind this and why Congress paychecks are unaffected.

There is a whole law on it and I read it yesterday and wish I could find it now. It has to do with the balance of power and not having the president be able to pressure Congress over this with their pay. This law was made back when Congressional members were not independently wealthy and them losing pay could affect the decisions they made. While that sounds like a good thing, maybe not. If you had people in Congress living paycheck to paycheck and were pressured to do something by another branch they might do it if they couldn't make ends meet.

Assuming the morons in DC haven’t acted, I’ll be furloughed. A little thought-of downside to furloughs and the sequestration furlough is we lose the days toward time-in-grade and towards retirement credit, too. It has a lasting impact.
I’m DOD. I’ll have to go in Monday for “orderly transition” and to sign my letter. I think I’ll wear my pajamas.

I'll be right with ya!!!

So at 1AM Monday (or late tonight in my mind), they are taking another vote. Who votes at 1AM. I'm sure there is some weird law that says you must wait 48 hours from the last vote or something like that. I am just trying to figure out what happens if that vote passes. We have all been told to come in Monday to get our letters. We specifically were told not to come in "too early" because they letters wouldn't be ready and you only have 4 hours to do an orderly shutdown. We might all go in with our PJs on and find that we are staying all day!! Should be interesting.

On a side note. 5 years ago when the government was shut down I had planned an anniversary trip to DC. Never went. Someday i’ll Get there.

On a side note. 5 years ago when the government was shut down I had planned an anniversary trip to DC. Never went. Someday i’ll Get there.
Well, that's another thing. Reservations get cancelled, restaurants stay empty...it trickles down the economy around here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter