Anyone been at Pearson Toronto lately?

I think that with all the luggage issues of late, we're going with just carryon for our trip out to SoCal (no Disney). Not ideal, but we're staying at an Airbnb so we can get away with less clothing.

I think that with all the luggage issues of late, we're going with just carryon for our trip out to SoCal (no Disney). Not ideal, but we're staying at an Airbnb so we can get away with less clothing.
Can't believe I am even considering it....but we're definitely leaning towards just using carry on too for our trip in August (to Disney World). This is something I never would have or could have done before....but will make it work. (I created a thread on it as well). Hopefully though, we won't be forced to check in our luggage when we reach the gate.

My 3 adult kids are going to Cuba next month. I usually send 50 lbs (150 lbs total) of donations and supplies because they just need a carryon. After they put the carryon in the luggage and check it back to Canada.
They have already told me they won’t be doing that this time and I can’t blame them.

Can't believe I am even considering it....but we're definitely leaning towards just using carry on too for our trip in August (to Disney World). This is something I never would have or could have done before....but will make it work. (I created a thread on it as well). Hopefully though, we won't be forced to check in our luggage when we reach the gate.
That's always the fear, but at least it's a land vacation where your luggage should (in theory) arrive sometime during the week. Imagine if you were cruising and your stuff didn't make it in.

I've started checking how departures are going for Westjet at Pearson. Seems to have been good with very few long delays or cancellations over the last couple of days. Of course, this weekend will be a real test, but I'm starting to regain optimism that it won't be a shirt show.

We had no issues departing Pearson on Jun 15 going to Dominican Republic - quick check in around 9:30am for 12:30 flight. Plane took off on time. Return flight on Jun 20 arrived early around 10pm and then they announced that since we were early they had to find us another game and it would be 10 minutes - well 1 hour 15 minutes later we moved to new gate. Breezed through Customs only to have to wait close to another 1.5 hours for baggage to appear. They said it was due to a broken ramp, but they really just need to come clean and say they are significantly understaffed. There were a lot of bags lying around with no owners as well. Outbound from Pearson seems to be much better than returning to Pearson. If I could, I'd do carryon as much as possible!

We had no issues departing Pearson on Jun 15 going to Dominican Republic - quick check in around 9:30am for 12:30 flight. Plane took off on time. Return flight on Jun 20 arrived early around 10pm and then they announced that since we were early they had to find us another game and it would be 10 minutes - well 1 hour 15 minutes later we moved to new gate. Breezed through Customs only to have to wait close to another 1.5 hours for baggage to appear. They said it was due to a broken ramp, but they really just need to come clean and say they are significantly understaffed. There were a lot of bags lying around with no owners as well. Outbound from Pearson seems to be much better than returning to Pearson. If I could, I'd do carryon as much as possible!
They are definitely significantly understaffed, I really wonder if it's due to this recent wave of covid and having staff out sick, coupled with the fact they are understaffed anyway. It feels like more people I know than ever have it (some for the second time). I'd imagine most people that work in that industry would be quick to catch it at work.

Little OT ,,,what about Vancouver airport,,,,we are connecting there and wondering about our checked luggage not making it,,,,any insight?

I am flying from Toronto to Vancouver on a Wednesday @12 pm with carry on and elderly mom on a wheel chair. How early should I arrive at YYZ? I am planning to arrive around 8 am, but everyone has been telling me to arrive around 6/7 am. I’m not sure if my mom can handle being on the wheel chair for that long. Any advice from fellow Dis’ers? TIA!

Last edited:
Hi all! We left last Saturday for the US (direct) out of YYZ with Air Canada. We arrived over 3.5 hours early and security was a breeze but customs was insane, it was almost like 3 "waiting" areas worth of lines, took us over 90 minutes at least, we had planned to do a longer sit down meal when we got thru (figured we would have ample time) but didnt have time so ended up grabbing a quick bite. Many people in the customs line were asking to go ahead of the line as they were going to miss flights or they had already missed one. This was for a 7pm flight, unsure if timing was a factor. When we boarded we were delayed about half hour and they announced it was because we had to leave 4 passengers behind as they were stuck in line and they had to remove their luggage.

As for the return flight, not sure if there is another thread currently for Air Canada, but our flights yesterday were delayed 3 times to our connection (Vancouver) when we finally got on that flight they auto rebooked our party for a 6pm connection flight since the delay would cause us to miss it, yet we landed in Vancouver at 610pm, we ran to the gate hoping it may still be there but it wasnt, and then they auto booked us 5 of our party of 7 for a 9pm which left at 10pm (so we arrived at YYZ at 6am this morning vs what should have been just after midnight). As for the other 2 in our party, they booked them for today at 4 pm saying they were back logged and was no other flight for them and gave them a room at the Sheraton and $20 food vouchers each, they have now been delayed until 6 pm and again until 10 pm and are currently still in Vancouver (about 30 hour delay from when they should have landed if they even get on at 10pm). When we arrived this morning at YYZ we got our luggage quickly and were out within 30 minutes.

Also, the 2 that are still in YVR were told they could go get their luggage but when they went they said no because the bags were in international and they were now in domestic area.

Hi all! We left last Saturday for the US (direct) out of YYZ with Air Canada. We arrived over 3.5 hours early and security was a breeze but customs was insane, it was almost like 3 "waiting" areas worth of lines, took us over 90 minutes at least, we had planned to do a longer sit down meal when we got thru (figured we would have ample time) but didnt have time so ended up grabbing a quick bite. Many people in the customs line were asking to go ahead of the line as they were going to miss flights or they had already missed one. This was for a 7pm flight, unsure if timing was a factor. When we boarded we were delayed about half hour and they announced it was because we had to leave 4 passengers behind as they were stuck in line and they had to remove their luggage.

As for the return flight, not sure if there is another thread currently for Air Canada, but our flights yesterday were delayed 3 times to our connection (Vancouver) when we finally got on that flight they auto rebooked our party for a 6pm connection flight since the delay would cause us to miss it, yet we landed in Vancouver at 610pm, we ran to the gate hoping it may still be there but it wasnt, and then they auto booked us 5 of our party of 7 for a 9pm which left at 10pm (so we arrived at YYZ at 6am this morning vs what should have been just after midnight). As for the other 2 in our party, they booked them for today at 4 pm saying they were back logged and was no other flight for them and gave them a room at the Sheraton and $20 food vouchers each, they have now been delayed until 6 pm and again until 10 pm and are currently still in Vancouver (about 30 hour delay from when they should have landed if they even get on at 10pm). When we arrived this morning at YYZ we got our luggage quickly and were out within 30 minutes.

Also, the 2 that are still in YVR were told they could go get their luggage but when they went they said no because the bags were in international and they were now in domestic area.
Not showing this to the wife,,,we fly 1 week today and connect both ways in Van,,,,,sorry this happened to you, and your family,,hope they get home soon.

We flew back with Westjet from California the evening of Friday July 8. We deplaned right away after reaching the gate. We had Nexus so no hold ups at all getting through Customs, and it seemed quick for those going through the standard line up. There was a 30 minute wait to get the luggage and they had us going from one luggage carousel to another to find the one for our flight , but we got it all. There was a lot of luggage piled orderly from other flights. All in all, we had a success return through Pearson airport.

Hello! So we flew back to Pearson a week later on Saturday, July 9th. Our return flight (my aunt & I) was with American Airlines from Miami. Except for an issue of not being able to complete our check-in 24 hours at the hotel, it was smooth. We checked-in at the airport, had a bite to eat and left on time. In fact, the flight arrived almost half an hour early!

When we landed, one of the flight attendants told everyone Customs was very busy and they were only allowed to release the first 50 people. I had read about this happening to other people so we were prepared to wait. Luckily, we were in the mid 40's and able to get off the plane. Long line at Customs but it went very quickly. We were almost always moving through the maze and finally made it to my husband's car.

Our new friend was still flying back with Air Canada. Unfortunately, they cancelled her direct flight and put her on a connecting flight. Miami to Montreal to Toronto. Luckily all the flights happened and she arrived home later that night.

We returned home to Toronto to T3 (I’m convinced that it’s T1 that is seeing the bulk of the issues, but I might be wrong) on the 30th from Iceland and it was very quick. Only after reading the horror stories about lost and delayed luggage did we appreciate how lucky we had been! Our past few flights back from Florida (also T3) have been held for Customs control both outbound (waiting for people stuck in line) and inbound (50 people at a time), for about a half hour at most.

That being said, we are doing a long weekend in NYC this weekend and plan to take only carryon after reading about the fustercluck that is Air Canada at the moment.

My son went to Brazil on Tuesday, I went there to help him.

Check-in was a breeze, I was in and out in 40 minutes, we used the machine, no need to weigh the bags.

As many people are reporting, it was "weird" leaving his 2 bags in the open, as the belts were not working. We were advised it was safe to do so.

After he went through security and the x-ray, he called me and told me it was a zoo inside.

His flight wat to leave at 10:50 PM, it was delayed to 11:30 PM. At 11:15 PM, they started boarding but stayed inside the airplane for 2 hours until it finally departed at 1:15 AM. Not even water was served during that time.

When I checked the history of the flight, ALL daily flights to Brazil were leaving more than an hour late...

The bags all arrived in Brazil.

We flew out of terminal 3 July 4 - WestJet YYZ to Nassau, Bahamas. Arrived at Pearson at 5:00 am - Through security in 30 minutes. USA line looked very long. Heading to Orlando in August hope it’s better. Air Canada flight is at 7 am. Will arrive at 3:30 am. - with one checked luggage/ and an apple tag. Fingers crossed.

Currently at Pearson. Check in in airCanada was fine. Used the machine. The line for customs was insane. For reference I was checkin in around 5:15am. I have global entry so it was nice and quick and was thru customs at 5:50am. The normal customs line inside was horrible too.

Edit to add this was T1.

Attachments

• IMG-20220717-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20220717-WA0003.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20220717-083413_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220717-083413_Gallery.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20220717-083423_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220717-083423_Gallery.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter