Anyone been to Rainforest Cafe???Need a review

chirsty'smom

Mouseketeer
Looking for a review for Rainforest Cafe at AK, I feel like a kid in a candy store and I just can't decide on where to have lunch.
Any opinions on Rainforest or any other place is appreciated!

We went to RFC for lunch and loved it! We split the appetizer combo and really enjoyed our food. Great atmoshpere and good food.

Well if the one in AK is anything like the one in DD than I say go for it. :D The food is very good and you might get lucky and be there during a thunder storm.(great fun :D )

Other places that I like for lunch is

50's Prime Time Cafe in MGM

Planet Hollywood in DD

:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

We are leaving soon for our third trip to WDW, and RFC is once again at the top of our list of must-dos! The kids love the atmosphere and the food is different enough for mom and dad but not so strange that the kids don't love it also. The portions are HUGE! You may be able to split an entree and then share the volcano for dessert - YUM! :earseek:

Just make sure you have a PS - the wait times can be very long. We've eaten at both the DTD location and the one at AK - if you're going to be in the park, try to get a PS at AK as the DTD location has always had long waits and with out PS we were seated almost immediately at AK.

Have fun!

MsSpinShady princess:

Okay, I'll be the bad guy ;)

We don't care for RFC at all. We've tried it twice - like idiots, hoping in different cities we'd have better experiences. No such luck.

The food is always mediocre and overpriced...the service is sloooooooooow...they are overly crowded, and my four and two year old are TERRIFIED of the atmosphere. The animals are life-sized and hanging on the walls, etc. They come to life and roar loudly, making monkey sounds - elephants - well - make elephant sounds. The storms are loud and thunderous, with lights flashing, etc. It is VERY gimmicky and their business is based in merchandise - they sell all sorts of stuff as you walk through to get to your table, drink cups are extra (and the waiter brings them to the table with a toy inside or whatever, making it very difficult to say "no" to the kids).

Personally, I'd eat elsewhere...at least Gimmicky at Disneyworld is DISNEY! :)

to the one in DTD and it was fun . Kids ate quite a bit - mac and cheese and pizza .. I got the Jungle wrap - turkey.. VERY Good and such a nice change from Pizza/ burger/ chicken fingers .. and then we got the Volcano for Dessert - Plenty to feed all of us ( 2 adults and 4 kids ! ) I imagne the AK one is similar . michelle

Just ate at RFC last Sunday - it was terrific! The chimi-cha-cha appetizers are a crunchy fried egg roll type thing with chicken, corn, peppers, and cilantro with guacamole and salsa for dipping - very nice! I had coconut shrimp, ribs and a ribeye. Steak was cooked medium rare, just the way I asked. Everyone else really enjoyed their meal. Our server was friendly and efficient.

That said, the atmosphere is a little "intense". It can be distracting or downright frightening if you're not expecting it. Overall we had a nice meal there. It ain't Commander's Palace, but it serves its purpose well.

We end up at the local one a couple times a year.

Its fun...but it is overpriced for what you get (I hear vouchers here can be great) - although there is a lot of it (although most Disney sit down restaurant have ample portions). Very crowded. Loud. Young children are sometimes frightened of the effects.

(I think their kids meals are absolutely horrible, YMMV)

There are about a zillion places I'd eat at Disney before I'd chose RFC (or Planet Hollywood, another restaurant we have local) - but then these are not "treats" for me because they are close to my house.

However, if you want to sit down at AK, RFC is pretty much your only choice. I wouldn't go out of my way to do it, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at it either. If you are in the neighborhood for dinner, Boma at AKL comes highly recommended (I've been, I don't give it the rave reviews most do, but it is good - its a buffet)- you'll have to drive or bus there, and getting back to your resort can be a pain.

(Tusker House has excellent counter service food at AK - it doesn't handle the crowds it gets well, however).

I have to agree with Familymoon and their assessment. We also went to the Disney Rainforest Cafe and then tried the Toronto's RFC, thinking that it would be different in another city. But in both places, we found the food overpriced for the quality and the service was extremely slooow. The only plus was the décor; the thunderstorms and animatronics were cool, but they are nothing compared to a Disney attractions. My boys were not scared of the fake animals and jungle atmosophere. We won't be back, but it is experience and obviously others like it.

Dad of 3

The food is always mediocre

There are about a zillion places I'd eat at Disney before I'd chose RFC

we found the food overpriced for the quality and the service was extremely slooow. The only plus was the décor

I agree with these three posters. I know it is fun decor and so people like it, but I just haven't been impressed with the food.

We really enjoyed our lunch at the downtown RFC. DW ordered a pizza that was good. I had the Paradise Pot Roast that was delicious. Tender beef, mashed potatoes & veggies. Yum! They also gave me a birthday dessert that I couldn't really appreciate because I was too full.

Have to weigh in on the thumbs down side :(

I thought the food was mediocre and very overpriced. The gorillas went off when we came in and DD1 started screaming. She was the whole reason we came, because Daddy thought she would like the jungle :rolleyes: She cried almost the whole meal and I was glad to leave. Maybe we will try again in a few years.

David

We went to RFC DTD about 3 years ago and thought that it was good a few other times late at night and it was good cause we were starving...went again a year and a half ago and felt that it was over-priced, selection limited and food just not that great for the price....won't be making another visit anytime soon. Planet Hollywood falls into the same category...ok if you're starving but not worth the walk up the step otherwise.

The first time we took our children, our DD was terrified of the "storm". The next time we went to WDW, DD requested Rainforest Cafe. Go figure?:rolleyes:

Anyway, the portions were huge. The kids had to have the icees in the huge water bottles with the little animals in the bottom, very expensive. ($8? each)

Overall, we enjoyed our lunch at the AK Rainforest Cafe. I can't wait to go back in February! :bounce:

Marie

We went to RFC a few years ago, and haven't returned. It wasn't that the food was bad...it just wasn't great enough to get us back. That and the fact that DS (4 at the time) was terrified (10 now and still no desire to go back) and you had to yell at each other to carry on any kind of a conversation. The portions were large, and the price matched. Just not a must do for us. However, we always take time to do the gift shop::yes::

I was telling DH about this thread last night and he reminded me how awful it was the first time...

We arrived just as the restaurant opened and there was no line - however, we waited 20 minutes for a table! (After the restaurant was seating another family who had some kind of membership).

Then, we waited another 15-20 minutes for our waitress...who brought out the menus and took our drink order, then vanished for a loooong time.

When we finally ordered, she again vanished and we repeated had to ask someone to get our waitress - drinks were empty, etc. Finally our food came out (crab cake sandwich and build your own lettuce roll things I recall specifically) and it was mediocre at best - especially for the price tag! Mine was so bad that I didn't eat it - by this time we had been in the restaurant (empty, mind you - maybe five other families) for over an hour. I got up with the baby and left - who was impatient and upset by this point...and DH waited for the check and to complain to the waitress. She said 'oh - so, I guess you don't want it wrapped?" WRAPPED? My husband just told her it was inedible (the entire plate was full - I had picked at some of the noodles, that was it) and she didn't once offer to get a manager or comp it.

So, I returned home, contacted the company, and never heard back. That meal alone (lunch) was over $60 and took a good hour and a half. :crazy:

I'm not sure why we went back, but we visited the one in Chicago almost a year later. This time was better - but the dining room was so crowded we literally could not scoot the chairs back or let the kids out to go to the restroom - my DH had to pick them up out of the chair and lift them over the table! Again, mediocre food - I don't remember what we ordered...and we paid over $120 for this meal (dinner time with the gimmicky cups of Icee).

Blah. I'm glad he reminded me of that...we'll definitely stay far away in WDW...at least I can get cute gimmicky stuff there! :)

Hi,

I love both RFC's!!!!! They have good food & the thunder storm is the best!!!! Enjoy!

I also like:
50's Prime Time Cafe in MGM
The Brown Derby MGM
Rose & Crown UK Epcot
Have fun!

I am also a huge fan of the RFC. I've eaten in both of then in WDW (AK and DTD), and loved them both. For some reason, the service was a bit slower in the AK, but it wasn't so bad that it made for a bad experience. I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend the RFC. Have a great trip! :)

Well, I've never eaten at one, but I've heard great things about the RFC. BF has eaten at one before and really enjoyed it. I think my son will like it. We're going to the DTD one on our arrival day, AND I have a $25 certificate that I earned online. :earseek:

We've been to the RFC in Downtown Disney, AK and our local one. We weren't crazy about any of them. They were always crowded and service wasn't anything to write home about. In our opinion, the food wasn't great either. We don't plan on going back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter