Anyone dissappointed in star wars land

I will say that the lightsaber building experience intentionally aimed at the Star Wars super fans who have always dreamed at creating one of the most iconic to them "weapons in the galaxy" not something for a kid's souvenier; nor would I personally shell out $200 for something that would be used as a toy, that's what the tomorrowland build your own lightsabers are for.

I'm also kind of astonished at the amount of people who are in the "guess i have to shell out $1000 so my 3 kids can each build a lightsaber" mindset. When I was 9-10 there was no way my parents were spending $200 on souvenir, if i wanted one it was coming out of money I saved from allowance/birthday/Christmas.

I agree w/this re: the light saber building experience. Kids can definitely do it, but it's a LOT of money for a parent to spend on a souvenir. I think that Disney's target audience for this light saber building experience is, like you said, SW super fans. My DH is a super fan, but HE doesn't want one of these. *I* want one! I'm going to squirrel away some extra trip money so I can get one.

After having seen that light saber thing on YouTube, am I upset that it costs $200? Nope. Not at all. That's worth $200. That looks like a pretty quality souvenir. I'd pay $200 for that. By contrast, would I pay a lot of $$ for a princess character breakfast at Napa Rose? No way. Total waste of money for our family's interests. completely overpriced. But that's just my individual opinion.

I can see my kids and my DH wanting to do the droid making thing. We'll just save our extra pennies for that. The droid making shop looks SUPER cool. They nailed it with the theme'ing.

We were there 2 years ago during the summer & it was WDW HOT.

Now I haven't been in 100 in Florida yet, 90 maybe, and it wasn't that bad. 100 in California in July? That's death heat. I hate dry heat, I prefer humid heat. We were at Disneyland on a 100 degree day in 2016 and the walk down Main Street burnt my legs. And then walking back to the hotel, ugh. At least at WDW you can wait in the shade for a bus, most at DL stay across the street and a 12 min walk seemed to take about 45. Not that that has anything do to with anything about SWL in the slightest. But it's gorgeous weather right now in Anaheim, it's uncrowded, and who cares if the land sucks or not. I would cut off my left leg to be there right now!

My only disappoint after being there was that they spent $1 billion on 14 acres, when they should have just planned a $5 billion Star Wars theme park somewhere. They're going to have to expand this ASAP as much as they can. I'm guessing they will blow that Operations, ugly green building out in the back and keep building. It's an amazing theme park achievement, but they will quickly need to decide how to get more of these, or make them biggger. Orlando should be the place that gets its own 5th Disney park, not just a land

I read somewhere that if you view MFSR as an experience, not a ride, it makes more sense. I haven't done it yet; DH says that logic works. I don't view TSMM or Buzz as a 'ride', if that makes sense? A ride is HM or Pirates or Incredicoaster, where you get on, you don't do things, you just enjoy the movement, kwim? I don't think I'm explaining this well at all, lol.

I read somewhere that if you view MFSR as an experience, not a ride, it makes more sense. I haven't done it yet; DH says that logic works. I don't view TSMM or Buzz as a 'ride', if that makes sense? A ride is HM or Pirates or Incredicoaster, where you get on, you don't do things, you just enjoy the movement, kwim? I don't think I'm explaining this well at all, lol.
I think too many people think ride and attraction are synonymous when they really shouldn't be. I agree with you that MFSR is as much an interactive experience as TSMM or Buzz, you wouldn't go on either of those attractions expecting to sit and do nothing. Your enjoyment is very much dependent on how much you interact with the attraction regardless of how well you do. Those who go in expecting a ride where the enjoyment comes from just watching the scenery or motion will be disappointed and think of it as a lesser attraction, especially if all 6 in the group go in with that mindset, than those who go in wanting to interact regardless of how well they do.

I think too many people think ride and attraction are synonymous when they really shouldn't be. I agree with you that MFSR is as much an interactive experience as TSMM or Buzz, you wouldn't go on either of those attractions expecting to sit and do nothing. Your enjoyment is very much dependent on how much you interact with the attraction regardless of how well you do. Those who go in expecting a ride where the enjoyment comes from just watching the scenery or motion will be disappointed and think of it as a lesser attraction, especially if all 6 in the group go in with that mindset, than those who go in wanting to interact regardless of how well they do.
That's a really interesting viewpoint. I think TSMM is great. But if you got on the ride, didn't play the games, and just sat there moving around the track, it would be like the worst ride ever. I agree that MFSM is kind of the same. A lot of the enjoyment comes from being engaged in what's going on: messing with your controls, interacting with the other crew members, engaging in the story. The "simulator-style ride" aspect is just one part of the equation.

They did make it an experience like ollivanders....
I get that it's very expensive, but I actually think that Savi's is a better value than Ollivander's.
No, because you have to pay $200 to get in right? Plus only one guest right? So even if we decided to do it we couldn’t attend as a family.

Olivanders is free to watch and you don’t have to buy a wand.
Good point, but if you buy a wand those wands do nothing at all aside from look cool outside of Universal. Two wands do not even interact together. So Ollivander's is a lot less expensive than Savi's, but it also does not offer even close to a comparable value. And unlike Ollivander's where only one wizard is chosen by the wand, Savi's guarantees everyone who wants to pay that experience they've paid for. It is expensive. But for people who are already inclined to purchase high end prop replica lightsabers, Savi's is not much more expensive than those. And yes, Disney sells high end prop replicas in Launch Bay.

I wish they allowed more access to Savi's especially if one parent is building a lightsaber so kids can at least join the moment. Hopefully they will once the initial insanity wears off.

If people are really focused on the build your own lightsaber experience for children, there's a much less expensive one in Tomorrowland that provides a better blade for the kind of play that children engage in.

You can’t compare this experience to Ollivanders. I had tears in my eyes when my husband and his group built their lightsabers. The CM’s were some of the best I’ve ever seen. Ollivanders was the biggest disappointment ever and I’m a huge HP fan. It’s the one thing Universal messed up with their immersive HP world.
Truthfully, I regret buying a wand. I enjoyed it while I was there, but I'm not even sure where that box is now. I think the idea there is very cool and all, but to me the wand experience ends as soon as you leave Wizarding World.

I'm a huge Pandora fan...I mean I loved the movie and FOP is the most immersive and exciting ride I've ever been on. But...the land didn't super impress me. Oh it was cool, but I didn't get that immersive feeling like I did at Hogwarts.
I can see that. Pandora is just kind of there. I mean it looks nice and is gorgeous at night, but walking around does not provide the same visual immersion that the movie did. Flight of Passage is a tremendous attraction and Navi River Journey is nice, but its current wait times are far too long for what it actually is. I can almost justify the Flight of Passage wait times if you can't get a FastPass, but not NRJ.

I agree with you OP. I come from a perspective that I don't really know anything about Star Wars. I also knew nothing about Avatar but I do enjoy Pandora quite a bit. I haven't been to SWGE yet but I feel like I don't understand a lot of what's going on. I hate to compare it to Harry Potter but you don't need to know about Harry Potter to know what's going on but I feel like you have to know Star Wars to understand.

I'll be able to see it in August so hopefully my mind changes about it but until then I'm not going out of my way to go to SWGE based on what I've seen through vloggers.

My friends just went and had a great time. Most of them raved about it and they were all SW fans to the core. One friend, like me, is not a SW fan and has never seen the movies, so I'm especially interested in what she thought. She hasn't said yet. We were both disappointed that it went into DLR and didn't get its own park. I highly dislike dystopian/bleak future books and movies so I know I'm not the target audience and accept that. There are plenty of other things I love at DLR that are targeted for me, but my fear was that SWGE would negatively affect the overall park--like making everything more crowded and expensive. That's something only time will tell.

My friends just went and had a great time. Most of them raved about it and they were all SW fans to the core. One friend, like me, is not a SW fan and has never seen the movies, so I'm especially interested in what she thought. She hasn't said yet. We were both disappointed that it went into DLR and didn't get its own park. I highly dislike dystopian/bleak future books and movies so I know I'm not the target audience and accept that. There are plenty of other things I love at DLR that are targeted for me, but my fear was that SWGE would negatively affect the overall park--like making everything more crowded and expensive. That's something only time will tell.
I think I'll enjoy it even though I'm not a fan. There are many details and characters I probably won't appreciate as much as the fans because I have no idea who all the characters are except for the main ones. Nevertheless, I'm sure it's pretty cool, lots of detail and the fact that the CM's are in character will be awesome. I think the rides will be very different than anything I've experienced so far, but also in a different way. One poster really hit the nail on the head when he said "it's an experience" not necessarily a thrill ride. I don't think any ride in the near future will match my love of FOP. That being said, I love many different rides at Disney and often you can't compare apples to oranges, yet I love them both. Can't wait to go!

SWGE is def way better planned, built and executed than Potter. Even with Orlando's Potter lands combined, it's not as cool as this now. SWGE is the standard parks will need to try and live up to when building new lands in theme parks. Once ROTR opens, it's going to even make it a more must do for park goers, especially once they start expanding it.

Just from watching you tube videos I have been a little dissappointed in star wars land. Not a big fan of he grimy dirty look. Also wonderin for a casual star wars fan does this land have enough to do. If you dont want a 200 dollar light saber or a 100 dollar droid or want to drink in a overcrowded bar. The shops look interesting but not that big. I dont know havent been there but just wonderin if anyone feels like this? There are so many gushing reviews from star wars fanatics but I dont think the casual fan or non fan would find it so interesting. Plus is there a lack of entertainment? Maybe its different in person but i guess i was hopin for a more futuristic look and not a morrocon marketplace.

I think maybe you should take a closer look at SW movies, tbh. The "grimy, dirty" look is definitely true to the movies. The droids are almost always dirty to some degree, too.

Yeah, the dirt and grime is what makes it. It's just a land, not a theme park, so not sure how someone can not get excited for it, especially knowing Disney's most ambitious ride ever created will be opening in this land. That alone makes it a win, but the fact they spent the money and detail in this place to make it authentic just reaffirms this is Disney's best ever land created.

So since I haven't been there yet I won't say disappointed, but I will say from early reviews and reading I've done that I have some concerns....

1. It feel like a huge amount of space they've dedicated to a fairly small increase in attractions, and it sounds like one of those attractions might not be a complete knock out already. I'm sure Smugglers Run will be fun, but it might not be one that you just want to ride as many times as you can every year you visit the park. I look at Indy and how long it's lasted and how crazy popular it is STILL and I think about how I want to ride it three or four times every year I go to the park and I just wonder if Smugglers Run will be the same... I honestly think that if they spent that much money and effort every attraction they bring in should be world class and something anticipated to be THE number one ride for years or decades, even to repeat visitors.

2. It seems like a huge amount of space for... shopping. I get it, it's a money machine and people love unique Star Wars items, but the other worlds don't feel like they've been designed around shopping. I understand that part of the environment of Star Wars is open air markets and such, but it feels like a waste of square feet to devote and base such a big part of the new land to that. Again, next year, year number five, etc, will I be excited to keep going back and buying more stuff? Or will I wander through in 10 or 15 minutes glancing at new stuff and then feeling like I've "seen it" and ready to move on?

3. It seems like a huge amount of space designed for really small capacities. I'm surprised both attractions are rather low capacity (for how popular they knew it would be, I get that they're roughly mid range in capacity, but I felt like they needed to knock out something super high capacity for this). Maybe lines will drop overtime, but I fear they'll constantly be 90+ minutes, like RSR and even Guardians at times. Now they might be absolutely fantastic rides like the other two I mentioned, but I usually only do those once in a day where as Pirates or Indy I'll try to fit in at least two or three times each. I was really hoping for designs that learned from past expectations and demand and took all those lessons to help improve the guest experience, reducing wait times, managing directional crowd flow, etc.

4. It seems like a big area with kinda limited dining options and small locations. I'm really surprised that the dining locations seem small. Maybe they're high volume but they appear to be designed very much as "get it and GO NOW". After a long day in the park I absolutely love those moments of being able to sit down somewhere for 20 minutes and enjoy a snack or dinner or something and rather then more seating areas it seems like Star Wars has even less with the idea that you'll get out of the way quick. Ok, that might move people along, but you're kinda out there isolated and it seems like it would be a long walk to go find some sit down areas somewhere else. I'm kinda surprised they didn't build up or down to try and accommodate more seating areas for food. Maybe like something that looks like a hanger bay but inside is two floors of tables and stuff. Or an underground level that looks like it's carved out of rocks but is a big open space with tables and somewhere to rest/cool off for a little bit.

5. Light sabers and droids sound incredibly cool, but what about visit two three, etc. Do I need 7 light sabers at home? Probably not, also probably can't afford that. It'll stay busy forever since there will always be a new generation that wants to get one and because of the very limited amount of people that can experience it at any one time, but it seems like a one and done for most people. If the land had four or five total attractions maybe this wouldn't feel like an issue, but visit number two will basically be two attractions and quick service locations... for how many years of build out and how much money spent?

So overall the big concern I have is that they might have focused too much on a "personal blow you away the first time" experience. It'll be great going in the first time and spending a bunch of money to try all the quick eat places and get a saber and stuff, but I'm not sure how bad I'll want to do it again next year. I think when I think about getting a drink the second time around I'll want to find a place I can regroup for 10 minutes or so and sit down for a rest, not shuffle in and order and shuffle out. I think I'll still want to do Indy every day I go, and hopefully more than once, where as I'll probably have days where I skip some Star Wars attractions because 120 minutes waiting isn't the best use of time and by 10am fast pass returns will be 8pm at night already or something. I'm also a little disappointed there isn't a sit down restaurant located there, especially when they didn't seem afraid with other low capacity things.

Maybe Disney has future plans to add two or three more attractions into the world and expand on the food offerings or improve them (early reviews don't make them sound like top of the list for repeat visits, more of "well you've got to try it once") and maybe traffic will normalize over time. However, I worry this is basically the look of the land for the next 10+ years, and it'll basically always be packed.

SWGE is def way better planned, built and executed than Potter. Even with Orlando's Potter lands combined, it's not as cool as this now. SWGE is the standard parks will need to try and live up to when building new lands in theme parks. Once ROTR opens, it's going to even make it a more must do for park goers, especially once they start expanding it.

I'm assuming you've been to both? I'm not a huge Potter fan, but the attention to detail and how the two park areas are bridged is absolutely amazing. And the ride tech for Forbidden Journey is still quite impressive. I've been there 4 times and find new details each visit. We are really looking forward to Hagrid's coaster.

I won't be going to SWGE until ROTR (and will be going to DLR instead of WDW) is open as I feel it's not a complete experience until I can enjoy everything. I am, however very excited to see it for myself and already know I'm 100% building myself a lightsaber and generally acting the fool as I grew up on Star Wars.

Getting back to the OP, I can see how some folks could be disappointed especially since the area concentrates on the current trilogy (which is a complaint I've seen quite often) or because there is only 1 major attraction there at the moment (and a screen ride nonetheless which Disney fans always harp on when it comes to Universal, lol). But it being "dirty" is the one detail I really appreciate so far and one of the things that set Star Wars apart from other sci-fi in that it was a lived in world.

So since I haven't been there yet I won't say disappointed, but I will say from early reviews and reading I've done that I have some concerns....

1. It feel like a huge amount of space they've dedicated to a fairly small increase in attractions, and it sounds like one of those attractions might not be a complete knock out already. I'm sure Smugglers Run will be fun, but it might not be one that you just want to ride as many times as you can every year you visit the park. I look at Indy and how long it's lasted and how crazy popular it is STILL and I think about how I want to ride it three or four times every year I go to the park and I just wonder if Smugglers Run will be the same... I honestly think that if they spent that much money and effort every attraction they bring in should be world class and something anticipated to be THE number one ride for years or decades, even to repeat visitors.

2. It seems like a huge amount of space for... shopping. I get it, it's a money machine and people love unique Star Wars items, but the other worlds don't feel like they've been designed around shopping. I understand that part of the environment of Star Wars is open air markets and such, but it feels like a waste of square feet to devote and base such a big part of the new land to that. Again, next year, year number five, etc, will I be excited to keep going back and buying more stuff? Or will I wander through in 10 or 15 minutes glancing at new stuff and then feeling like I've "seen it" and ready to move on?

3. It seems like a huge amount of space designed for really small capacities. I'm surprised both attractions are rather low capacity (for how popular they knew it would be, I get that they're roughly mid range in capacity, but I felt like they needed to knock out something super high capacity for this). Maybe lines will drop overtime, but I fear they'll constantly be 90+ minutes, like RSR and even Guardians at times. Now they might be absolutely fantastic rides like the other two I mentioned, but I usually only do those once in a day where as Pirates or Indy I'll try to fit in at least two or three times each. I was really hoping for designs that learned from past expectations and demand and took all those lessons to help improve the guest experience, reducing wait times, managing directional crowd flow, etc.

4. It seems like a big area with kinda limited dining options and small locations. I'm really surprised that the dining locations seem small. Maybe they're high volume but they appear to be designed very much as "get it and GO NOW". After a long day in the park I absolutely love those moments of being able to sit down somewhere for 20 minutes and enjoy a snack or dinner or something and rather then more seating areas it seems like Star Wars has even less with the idea that you'll get out of the way quick. Ok, that might move people along, but you're kinda out there isolated and it seems like it would be a long walk to go find some sit down areas somewhere else. I'm kinda surprised they didn't build up or down to try and accommodate more seating areas for food. Maybe like something that looks like a hanger bay but inside is two floors of tables and stuff. Or an underground level that looks like it's carved out of rocks but is a big open space with tables and somewhere to rest/cool off for a little bit.

5. Light sabers and droids sound incredibly cool, but what about visit two three, etc. Do I need 7 light sabers at home? Probably not, also probably can't afford that. It'll stay busy forever since there will always be a new generation that wants to get one and because of the very limited amount of people that can experience it at any one time, but it seems like a one and done for most people. If the land had four or five total attractions maybe this wouldn't feel like an issue, but visit number two will basically be two attractions and quick service locations... for how many years of build out and how much money spent?

So overall the big concern I have is that they might have focused too much on a "personal blow you away the first time" experience. It'll be great going in the first time and spending a bunch of money to try all the quick eat places and get a saber and stuff, but I'm not sure how bad I'll want to do it again next year. I think when I think about getting a drink the second time around I'll want to find a place I can regroup for 10 minutes or so and sit down for a rest, not shuffle in and order and shuffle out. I think I'll still want to do Indy every day I go, and hopefully more than once, where as I'll probably have days where I skip some Star Wars attractions because 120 minutes waiting isn't the best use of time and by 10am fast pass returns will be 8pm at night already or something. I'm also a little disappointed there isn't a sit down restaurant located there, especially when they didn't seem afraid with other low capacity things.

Maybe Disney has future plans to add two or three more attractions into the world and expand on the food offerings or improve them (early reviews don't make them sound like top of the list for repeat visits, more of "well you've got to try it once") and maybe traffic will normalize over time. However, I worry this is basically the look of the land for the next 10+ years, and it'll basically always be packed.

You're overthinking it way too much. It's just a land in a giant theme park. Most guests come for one day or two... there's plenty to do and eat in the land. People have the rest of DL to do in one day that they're not going to stay in SWGE for 6 hours. Most will go on the two major rides, maybe try a blue milk, buy a shirt and then leave. Just like Cars Land... you go on a couple of rides, maybe grab a cone treat and walk out and do other stuff. It's not a full separate theme park yet.

I'm assuming you've been to both? I'm not a huge Potter fan, but the attention to detail and how the two park areas are bridged is absolutely amazing. And the ride tech for Forbidden Journey is still quite impressive. I've been there 4 times and find new details each visit. We are really looking forward to Hagrid's coaster.

Yes, I agree. Orlando's Potter is much more realized version as a whole, but only because it's been open for like 5+ years. Also, Universal has to pour all its resources into it because that's all they can bank on. There's not anything else in their parks that gets people in the gates, unlike Disney. They will keep bringing out new Potter themed rides because that's all they got. As I mentioned before, if Disney only had Star Wars to bank on, forget it, they would build a whole new $10 billion theme park and kill it with $200/day tix. This is why I think as a land only, SWGE is an amazing experience. Can't wait for you to check it out.

Yeah, the FJ tech is def good, but i usually only go FJ if I have express pass only... i wont wait in line for it, especially since we have it here in SoCal, so I go on it enough.

I think from what I’ve seen of it online that the theming is great but it seems very incomplete. I agree with a review that said without RoR it’s very much missing a lot. It seems with 1 ride that gets divisive reviews and a lot of expensive cash grabs it’s not enough. Carsland has one E ride but it’s a hit. It’s too bad they didn’t make the light saber builds more of an experience like Olivanders. I’m looking forward to hearing more and going after RoR opens.

Having done both Savi's and Olivanders, Savi's blows Olivanders out of the water! I might feel different if I ever had a chance of being picked for the wand ceremony, but I'm not a small child so I know that won't happen. I also own both a wand and a saber.. and the saber is light years better! (as it should be since it's 4 times the cost.) I also wouldn't call the merchandise 'cash grabs'. Some of it is pricey, yes, but it all looks really good and worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter