Anyone done the Nina and Pinta boat tour?

Myothername

DIS Veteran
They are coming to Biloxi, Mississippi next month and was thinking of taking my 4.5 year old grandson. He is all boy and I think he would love this. But looking at one youtube video it looked kinda boring. It is a self-guided tour so you just pretty much get to walk around on the boat and there seem to be placards and signs about some stuff. Anyone done this?

Not this tour, but I've seen the reproductions in the past. Be aware that these ships are SMALL. The Nina is 67 feet long and 18 ft. wide at the widest point. That's about as wide, but 5 feet shorter than an average-sized single-wide mobile home. The tours don't allow anyone below decks or up into the rigging, so there is a limit to how much space there will be to explore.

I will say that we took our son on a tour of the Cutty Sark in Greenwich shortly before she burned. That one went belowdecks as well. He was 5 at the time, and liked it a lot, but the parts he liked best were the parts below-decks; the only things topside that really interested him were the wheel and the figurehead. The Columbus ships were before the use of the wheel, so the replicas don't have them. If I were taking a child that age to a ship exhibit that was the deck only, I think I'd first introduce him to a bit of knot-tying; the decks have LOTS of rope and knots, and it would probably be more interesting if he had ever tried tying knots. To a kid that age, that's a hard skill, so seeing so many complicated knots would be a bit more awe-inspiring if he had a personal idea of how difficult they are.

Thanks. Good idea about the knots. yeah, the video I saw it looked pretty limited but its not expensive, $8.50 i think for me and he is free. He is a beach bum baby so I think he will like it.

We did. We are huge history buffs and enjoyed it. The ships are small, it is hard to fathom how that many people stayed on those small board that long. There were guides on the board telling us all about them like an informal tour. We spent a couple hours total there. Without the guide it would have been about 5 minutes to see everything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter