Anyone else feeling nervous about these Boeing issues?

Saw an interesting note today that might clear some things up here:

It has been widely reported that Boeing has had far more official "incidents" than Airbus has. BUT...

The source of that info is the NTSB- the United States' Transportation and Safety Board. Not a bad source for sure. However...the NTSB investigates all incidents that take place in the US AND all incidents abroad on American built aircraft. Almost all Boeing planes are built in the US and zero Airbus planes are.

Meaning, if you are flying in Europe on an Airbus plane that has an issue, that will never get reported by the NTSB. But same place, same incident on a Boeing craft and it's reported.

Kind of skews the data...a lot.
Believable. I don't think this is exclusive to Boeing. Like with the manufacturers of stoves, I am sure it just wasn't GE. Whirlpool and others was doing the same thing most likely.

As for the OP, no, I don't really give it a second thought. Alaska has the only non-stop between SNA and PDX so it's not like we have a choice. SWA is the only airline to fly out of LGB so no choice there either. The places I fly to are too far to drive and as others have mentioned, that is actually less safe whether you believe it or not, plus I don't really enjoy long haul drives on boring interstates.

Believable. I don't think this is exclusive to Boeing. Like with the manufacturers of stoves, I am sure it just wasn't GE. Whirlpool and others was doing the same thing most likely.
And speaking of GE, the A320neo's equipped with their GTF engines have ~400 aircraft grounded and roughly ~1000 flying with the risk of the engine fan blowing apart.

And it's still safer than flying was 20 years ago. :)

Only one that would give me slight worries would be the MAX. Everything else from Boeing, no
FWIW, the only aircraft that I actively avoid are pretty much any regional jet, and an A320neo series on anything over 2000 miles. Why the A320 on longer sectors? ... their holding tanks are too small, and I've had too many flights where they had to close the lavatories as a result.

The Boeing stuff doesn't bother me at all. I feel like most of the accidents happen because of airline lack of or improper maintenance. Fly with an airline that has a history of not cutting corners.

I’m much more nervous driving to the airport then getting on the plane! We traveled eight hours this weekend on what is considered one of the most dangerous highways in the US, and we passed three accidents and saw many more near misses. So to me getting on a plane is relaxing, and I hope it stays that way!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter