Anyone else notice how much pet costs have risen?

As with our medical doctors in the U.S., I'm wondering if there is a "quota" place on vet students. I know a lot of smart kids who don't quite make it to vet school and part of that reason is that there are an incredibly low amount of spaces to get in. I don't know if that is controlled as much as "human" medical school. Probably for different reasons--just lack of vet colleges.

My coworker has two adult kids in medical school and I've learned a lot from him about the quotas on doctors and what you can be. This has been going on for years and is part of the reason we are in physician shortages in the U.S.
Yes, there are definitely more college graduates who want to get into vet school same as medical school, or even nursing. I had a friend who wanted to be a vet her whole life, she’s now a psychiatrist, much better pay.

I HEAR YOU and you will know when it is right. We ended up getting a pair of siblings about 3 years later because we had a kid and thought it be nice for him. They lived to 17 years old and while they were loved I never really got attached to them. They were the family's dogs. We went about 6-7 years with no dogs and I was fine with it. Then DD BEGGED when her and Dad met one at an adoption event. She was having a tough year in HS and it was exactly what she needed. Of course off she left after HS and dog became Dad's best friend. She was so so loved. She got very ill in 2022 and it was hard on so many levels. I slept next to her on the sofa until the end. We have a little shrine to her on top of the big dog crate. We still had my Toby but DH became so so sad. His back and forth to FL stopped because he couldn't go by himself without her. It is amazing how we become one with them. He kept saying no but I found what would be the perfect fit for him. She was a jail dog, trained in a jail by inmates and they do a wonderful job. She is just perfect in every way and we got her all trained (I potty trained all previous dogs). She is half the size of our Heidi but at our age we need smaller. They adore each other, play outside everyday. Perfect match.

Everyone has different timeframes on when it will be right for them. For DH he really needed it. I told him "You are not replacing Heidi, we never can, but you are giving another dog a chance at a wonderful life. She would want you to do that like you did for her."

Meet Miko (short for Kamiko)

View attachment 811359

Thank you for that beautiful tibute to your loved dogs. I think we will get one in a couple of years as we get older.

Your new dog looks wonderful and it is a great thing to give a dog a home. We will go to a shelter for our next one when the time is right. Dogs give more love than they get and I really miss my little one. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter