Anyone ever made an ice cream cake

SalandJeff

Disney Addict x 3
I would like to make an ice cream cake for dd's birthday, rather than buying (they are really expensive!).

Has anyone ever made one? What kind of pan did you use? Any tips?

Thanks!

I made one for DD7's Birthday.
I made two round 9 inch chocolate cakes. Let them cool completely.
While those are baking, take out 1/2 gallon of ice cream out of freezer, let soften. Spread ice cream into a 9 in round cake pan **lined with plastic wrap** Place in freezer to harden.

Spread the bottom of the cakes with caramel topping. Remove ice cream from freezer, peeling off plastic wrap and place in the middle of the two cakes using the caramel as a sealer.

Before serving, frost the whole cake with cool whip and drizzle with chocolate syrup.

I made one with one of those round bowl shape pans with an insert-oh somebody help me out here it comes all together in a box from Betty Crocker??? Also with other pans? I cant think of the name of it-it was really easy and looked professional when all done.Comes with instructions for ice cream cakes. If you really want to know the name, Ill check. Its a neat concept, you can make regular cakes that look like baseballs,(round) etc, tons of things you can do with it.

ETA: Bake n Fill- I think-can be found anywhere cheaply :0)

If you have a springform pan, that works really well!

I worked at an ice cream parlor in high school, and we used oreo cookies and milk to make our crusts. In a mixer, you place rushed oreos and milk and blend together until they form a soild paste (I forget the actual measurements, sorry! I know it wasn't a lot of milk, I'm sure you could google a recipe). Spread that on a cardboard circle for the bottom of the springform pan (or I guess you could grease the bottom round of the pan), add softened ice cream and fillers (like crused candies, cookies as a middle layer between ice creams) and freeze at least overnight.

We also used crushed graham crackers and butter as a crust. Same method, you want it to be a very solid consistency.

The key is to freeze the cake for as long as possible so it sets up well. Good luck!

My mom has also used a recipe from Kraft where she made an ice cream cake out of ice cream sandwiches, it was very good!!

I make ice cream cakes all the time. Super easy!!
I use a spring form pan. you can use any pans but line them with saran wrap so it is easy to get out. If you use the spring form you do not have to do this.

These were pampered chef recipes that i use. I have altered them to make them any way I want or to use any ice cream I am craving at the time. I will give you my 2 favorite pampered chef recipes and then you can alter them to your taste.

Sunshine Ice Cream Cake
preheat oven to 350. combine 2 cups finely crushed creme filled lemon cookes (about 14) (i use vanilla when i can't find the lemon) with 3 tbsp. melted butter. Press into bottom of pan. bake 10 min. cool completely. place in freezer until ready to fill.

scoop 1 quart vanilla ice cream onto crust, press to form an even layer. sprinkle with 1 cup coarsely chopped creme filled cookies (about 7). Scoop 1 quart orange sherbet on top of the cookie layer press to form an even layer.

Top with 1 cup frozen whipped topping and garnish with crushed cookies. freeze for 30 min or until ready to serve.

Grasshopper Ice Cream Pie
make exactly the same but substitute choc. cookies for the crust. and mint choco chip ice cream instead of the orange sherbet. i garnish with hot fudge and cookies on top of the whipped topping.

Have fun!!

You can use any type pan, any size. Loaf pans are good for making small ice cream cakes. 13x9 baking pans are fine for large cakes. Regular round layer cake pans. Springform pans work great. The trick is to always, always, always cover the pan with plastic wrap or wax paper before adding the ice cream and make sure enough sticks out the side of the pan for you to grab it! Otherwise you'll have a devil of a time getting it out. :goodvibes

We make one that we love!

It's made with vanilla ice cream and oreos (it tastes better than buying cookies n' cream ice cream), and chocolate frosting.

Take you ice cream out of the freezer.
Crush your oreos (I just put them in a gallon sized zip bag and roll them with my rolling pin).
A little at a time, take about a quarter of your ice cream and some oreo crumbs and mix together in a large bowl. Continue until everything is mixed together.
Put in a 13x9 pan and freeze for two hours.
Once completely set, spread chocolate frosting on top. The frosting needs to be room temp. so it can spread easily.
This has to be done really quickly because the ice cream starts to melt.
Put back in the freezer to set again...

This is my DH's favorite!!!

i use a springform pan with the thin chocolate wafers (for icebox cake) near the ice cream section for the crust with 2 diff ice cream flavors and more crushed cookies in the center. really easy & tasty.

I make cupcakes alot, spoon soften ice cream into a foil cup,FREEZE then sprinkle on oreos and fudge sauce, freeze, then spoon more icecream, freeze, then ice with cool whip and decorate with frosting. much easier to serve!

I make these all the time, and they are always a huge hit!

I use an extra large mixing bowl - it's HUGE - but we like a HUGE cake! Line with saran & then slice a pound cake (Sara Lee frozen works well) in 1/2 inch slices. Use the pound cake pieces to "line" the saran as your "crust" covering as much of the sides as you can. You may have to cut some of the slices into halves or quarters to make it fit.

Now is the fun part - you can just start putting ANYTHING in it! Just remember your cake is inverted - upside down - so whatever you put in first will be on the top. I start with a handful of colored sprinkles - then whatever flavors of ice cream, candy & cookies the kids want. The most requested one I get is peanut butter cup Oreo - I use a half gallon of Cookies & Cream ice cream & a half gallon of peanut butter swirl - in between I crush Oreos & peanut butter cups. I also "line" the pound cake with whole Oreos & whole peanut butter cups before putting in the ice cream. When the last of the ice cream is in, I cover the bottom with whole Oreos, since that will be the bottom once the cake is done. YUM!

Thanks everyone for all the yummy ideas. The plastic wrap is a great idea to get it out of the pan. I'm off to the store for ice cream!

I haven't read all the replies but if you are in a pinch for time -- this is the EASIEST EVER and the kids here LOVED it.

I got a pcak of ice cream sandwiches and laid them side by side by side in a 13x9 pyrex. Fill the whole pan.

Top with coolwhip. Sprinkle with mini m&m's.

FREEZE.

Viola -- an ice cream cake! And when you cut it, the ice cream sandwiches already made the "crust" with their brown cookie outsides. The kids loved it.:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter