Anyone familiar with Vancouver?

Jo-Anne

DIS Veteran
I'll be heading to Vancouver for business trip in April. I'll have Sat and Sunday to myself and I was going to pop across the border to do some outlet shopping in Washington. But with the current war situation, and in light of the fact that I have mailed my passport away to be renewed, I think we'll be staying on the Canadian side of the border!! Does anyone know if there are any outlet malls in the Vancouver area? Also, any sightseeing tips would be appreciated. We'll be staying at the Delta downtown and will have a car. Thanks, Jo

Vancouver is the BEST city in the world - although I may be prejudiced :) I know you've already had some PMs sent but just in case you want more info I'll do what I can. I don't know of too much outlet shopping near Vancouver, but there may be some out in the suburbs way far away.

As for sightseeing - I'd definitely explore downtown shopping areas like Robson St, Gastown... check out Chinatown and have dim sum (in the daytime!)... look out for artsy stuff down at Granville Island (just south of downtown) or at Lonsdale Quay (across the bridge into North Vancouver)... the Capilano Suspension Bridge is always a hit, as is the view from the top of Grouse Mountain. Shopping is also fun on Granville St south of downtown, and on W. 4th Avenue (the Kitsilano area.) If it's nice in April (certainly no guarantees there) head down to Kits Beach or English Bay for a stroll.

Feel free to ask me for any more information (like if you need suggestions on places to eat!) Oh and www.tourismvancouver.com can be a useful site!

And of course don't forget your umbrella...

Jo-Anne:

I agree with lilsonicfan -- South-Granville shopping and Granville Island are great places to spend some time (and money). If you have kids (or want to buy things for one) check out the very-special Kids Only Market inside Granville Island.

If you need a mall fix though, you can start with Pacific Centre (right downtown) then take the Skytrain (right at the mall) to Metrotown in Burnaby. It's the largest mall in the Lower Mainland and only 20 minutes by skytrain.

Beware of exploring Chinatown unless you know exactly where to go (and not to) -- it borders a rough area of town and you wouldn't want to end up there.

Yaletown is a hipster-urban area with neat shops, restaurants and furniture/gift/clothing stores and lots of loft housing.

Bargains can be had at Winner's locations in the burbs, but there are no outlet malls. Don't worry though -- you're not missing much across the line. Ever since 911 the cross border shops have been steadily closing down. The outlet malls in Bellingham are very quiet these days and truth be told the prices aren't that great.

If you're a fan of the Arts, check out what's playing when you're here. Quite often 'rush' tickets to the symphony can be had for less than $15. There are also great theatre productions (large and small) and a very good Theatre Sports group playing at Granville Island most nights.

Hope you have a terrific time!

Cheers.

I agree with epicureangirl. Avoid Chinatown--scary. You don't need to wander there to get good Chinese food. Just head into Richmond. Also, Richmond Centre Mall has a lot of shopping and Lansdowne Mall has a Winners store.

I also recommend going to Ambleside Beach in West Vancouver. It's a beautiful area for a long walk, plus all the quaint shops and restaurants near there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter