Anyone Game? 2 Castles and a Road Trip TR! Last Day and TR Wrap Up! #2796; 10/01

Loving all your pics from the last few updates.

They are making me feel all reminiscent and I so dearly want to go back to Universal Florida. Such happy memories.

Once again I'm impressed by all the pics you got with the photopass thing. I love all the ones with the Lycra-clad superheroes.

I really hope its quiet enough to do a tour only of the castle as well as the ride. Thanks for the tip about CMs-I may just try more than once if get a reject first time round. I have read Mythos now isn't too bad for queues if you avoid peak times. Since I am currently working on my photobook of Spain the inside is reminding me of Gaudi's Casa Batllo in some ways! Looks like a nice relaxing time at US with you and DH having fun together as well as in a trio. I am still confused why MIB require you to use a locker though-do you really move around that much?

I have notes on my must-sees by area to avoid backtracking to and fro but think most of our time will be dominated by HP though Transformers and Spiderman are triple starred! and Mummy and Simpsons single stars-DH will need Kwells before Mummy with the short backwards bit after his EE experience and we're both medicating for FJ! Apart from the Simpsons (would love a pic with Sideshow Bob!) we haven't really any M&G wishes as neither of us are into Marvel characters. Sad recounting of your trip is almost over!

I'm not sure why they don't let you take bags on MiB. It does spin round a bit in one section and it does move you round from area to area.

I hope you end up on the rides without any motion sickness. Fingers crossed for you and DH.

I'm back! Did you miss me? :rotfl:

I was about 25 pages behind but I'm all caught up now. Way too much to comment on but I really enjoyed all of your photos.

I did!

Thanks for stopping by here again. :thumbsup2 I know you've been busy with 3D life. :flower3:

Loving all your pics from the last few updates.

They are making me feel all reminiscent and I so dearly want to go back to Universal Florida. Such happy memories.

Once again I'm impressed by all the pics you got with the photopass thing. I love all the ones with the Lycra-clad superheroes.

Thanks, Wanderlust. I've really enjoyed sharing in this TR. Its been happy memories for me too.

That Universal photopass was great value. But then, we did do a few meet and greets and that really maxed out the value part for us.

Tchoup Chop

Emeril "Kick-it-Up-a-Notch" Lagasse is one of those American celebrity chefs that has become a household name due to his Food Network shows Emeril Live and Essence of Emeril. Named as the the "Best Southeast Regional Chef" by the James Beard Foundation, it seems that the man can cook as well. His unique style of cooking is called "New New Orleans"; a unique style of using local, Louisiana ingredients in his own interpretation of Creole cuisine, strongly influenced by Asian, Portuguese, Southwestern, and other cultures which themselves influence New Orleans cuisine. I've been keen to eat at Emeril's restaurants for a while now and have the one in New Orleans on my wish list.

It might take me a while to get to New Orleans; but I can claim to have gotten to one of his restaurants now. I will admit that one of the reasons I stayed at the Royal Pacific was because Emeril's Tchoup Chop restaurant is located within the resort.

DH knew that I had been keen to dine here and we had decided that tonight would be our best opportunity to hit the place.

The décor was definitely in keeping with the South Pacific theme of the resort it was located in.

The standout features for me were that internal lilypond and the blue touches of the bar.

We didn't have long to wait before we were shown to our table.

The styles of cuisine at Lagasse's restaurants are not all the same. This one boasted a cuisine style of Asian Polynesian fusion. The prawn crackers were the appropriate table snacker for this restaurant. They were delightful.

DS wasn't terribly hungry and decided on the sushi.

Actually, he had two serves of sushi.

DH ordered the vegetarian laksa with vegetables, a coconut curry soup and noodles.

My dish was a snapper; it was off the daily special and I think it had a spicy mango sauce. It was easily the pick of the dishes. DS definitely enjoyed my meal as well.

How was the experience?

Perhaps it was the fact that this was day 26 of our 28 day vacation.
Perhaps it was the fact that the other celebrity chef restaurants we had eaten at in Arizona had been so good.
In actual fact, it was our waiter. He was terrible. It took him forever to take our order. And we waited and waited and waited for him to come and take our drinks order. We ended up having to grab another waiter to place drinks. And when our original waiter figured out that we had placed drinks with someone else, he got all snippy with us and just plonked our food down without another word. He was downright rude after that.

It was so bad service that we all decided not to have dessert. Needless to say, he didn't get much of a tip from us.

So....how as the food?

I have to admit that I didn't think much of the laksa. The soup did not have enough body and depth to it.
The sushi was decent enough but there wasn't anything outstanding or remarkable about the plate.
The snapper was the only dish that was semi-decent. But then I found the sauce on the sweet side.

I suspect that if our experience with the waiter had been more pleasant, we might have felt differently about the food. If I ever return to Orlando, I don’t think I'll be back to give Tchoup Chop a second chance. But I still have the one in New Orleans in my sights.

A shame really. This had been one dining experience that I had so looked forward to.

(Continued in Next Post)

(Continued from Previous Post)

Royal Pacific Resort at Night

After dinner, we headed back to the room and packed up. It was our last night in Orlando and tomorrow we were back on the road again.

There was still one thing I wanted to do and that was to photograph the lovely resort we were staying at.

You'll enter this area at the other end to where I took this picture. Reception will be ahead of you (to the right of this picture).

The lobby is a very spacious space.

These are the kiosks where you get your picture taken for the Express Pass.

I liked the Concierge space very much. There was something very inviting about those chairs.

This resort is famous for its frog motifs.

Can you tell that I loved them?

I really did want to take this pair home with me. But it really wasn't the done thing. Besides, they were a little too bulky for my bags.

I avoided temptation and headed on out to the courtyard.

With the balmy night, I could almost imagine that I was somewhere in the South Pacific.

It was very soothing being out here.

These elephants looked like they were having a great time!

I headed on out to capture the first impressions.

There are a bunch of frogs lining that entry bridge.

They all play or carry an instrument.

Naturally, I was going to photograph them!

I may never tick off photographing every single doll inside IaSW from my bucket list. But I think I got all the frogs lining this entry!

It really was a bittersweet night for me. As much as I was looking forward to heading home, I really didn't enjoy the feeling of knowing that I was leaving Orlando.

princess::upsidedow

Sorry your meal wasn't what you expected. I'm not sure I would ever eat at one of Emeril's restaurants as his flavors are just too exotic for my simple, picky palate.

Royal Pacific Resort is beautiful! Jim and I are headed back to Universal in February to see the new Harry Potter stuff and I'm trying to decide which resort. We stayed at Hard Rock last time and Jim wants to stay there again. But it is so expensive I'm considering switching to Royal Pacific.

The photo thing for the express pass is new since we were there a few years ago. We just used our room key to get in the express lines. I probably need to do some research to see what else has changed!

That's too bad you didn't have a better experience at Tchoup Chop. I had a great meal several years ago....but service and the end of a trip can certainly color your experience. The hotel really is beautiful! I'm so sad your trip is almost over. :(

Jill in CO

Sorry to hear that you didn't have a good dining experience.

The Royal Pacific Resort looks very nice and amazing. You really took amazing pictures at the hotel.

The hotel looks absolutely beautiful. What a shame that your dining experience at Tchoup Chop was less than magical. Up to now, I have have only ever read glowing reviews about the place.

Corinna

What a bummed about dinner. Service sounds horrid. Did you consider telling the manager? Rude service, especially on vacation, should not be tolerated.

Loved all the frogs, how cute!

Thats too bad about the service at Tchoup Chop. I've eaten there twice and enjoyed it. However the first time was a noth better. I do love those prawn chips especially with the pe@nut sauce.

Your pictures of the hotel are great, very inspired. I love the frogs too. So sad the trip is coming to an end. But there will be more to hear about.

The hotel looks absolutely lovely! What a shame about dinner, though. How disappointing to have one of your final meals be so unpleasant.

Sorry about the restaurant. It is absolutely beautiful, but I would be pretty bummed to receive lackluster food with poor service. The hotel is beautiful.

Sorry your meal wasn't what you expected. I'm not sure I would ever eat at one of Emeril's restaurants as his flavors are just too exotic for my simple, picky palate.

:lmao: That's so funny. In a way, I thought his flavours lacked a little spice for my tastes. :lmao:

Royal Pacific Resort is beautiful! Jim and I are headed back to Universal in February to see the new Harry Potter stuff and I'm trying to decide which resort. We stayed at Hard Rock last time and Jim wants to stay there again. But it is so expensive I'm considering switching to Royal Pacific.

The photo thing for the express pass is new since we were there a few years ago. We just used our room key to get in the express lines. I probably need to do some research to see what else has changed!

I thought the Royal Pacific was really nice. But I haven't stayed at any of the other UO resorts so I can't help much. Hope you get what you want.

That's too bad you didn't have a better experience at Tchoup Chop. I had a great meal several years ago....but service and the end of a trip can certainly color your experience. The hotel really is beautiful! I'm so sad your trip is almost over. :(

Jill in CO

It is a shame about the service but I guess it happens anywhere.

Thanks.

Sorry to hear that you didn't have a good dining experience.

The Royal Pacific Resort looks very nice and amazing. You really took amazing pictures at the hotel.

Thanks Bret. I was pleased with how the pictures turned out as well.

The hotel looks absolutely beautiful. What a shame that your dining experience at Tchoup Chop was less than magical. Up to now, I have have only ever read glowing reviews about the place.

Corinna
I think that's why I was keen to hit Tchoup Chop as well. The decor is lovely and I can excuse the laksa....I am from that part of the world where laksas do come from; so I can be very picky about the laksa taste.

What a bummed about dinner. Service sounds horrid. Did you consider telling the manager? Rude service, especially on vacation, should not be tolerated.

Loved all the frogs, how cute!

I did consider telling the manager and did say something to the person at the door on the way out. In the end, we left a very miniscule tip and I think that probably enough payback for me.

Thats too bad about the service at Tchoup Chop. I've eaten there twice and enjoyed it. However the first time was a noth better. I do love those prawn chips especially with the pe@nut sauce.

Your pictures of the hotel are great, very inspired. I love the frogs too. So sad the trip is coming to an end. But there will be more to hear about.

::yes:: There is a little bit more to hear about before this TR draws to a close.

The hotel looks absolutely lovely! What a shame about dinner, though. How disappointing to have one of your final meals be so unpleasant.

It's been a year since and the only things we remember are the good times.

Sorry about the restaurant. It is absolutely beautiful, but I would be pretty bummed to receive lackluster food with poor service. The hotel is beautiful.

:wave: Nice to see you back here.

Thanks.

I think that's why I was keen to hit Tchoup Chop as well. The decor is lovely and I can excuse the laksa....I am from that part of the world where laksas do come from; so I can be very picky about the laksa taste.

Whereabouts do you come from. DH spent some of his childhood in Singapore and I gather laksa is very common there.

Corinna

Sorry dinner wasn't great. I had circled Tchoup Chop as a place to try and get to although I was more attracted to the lunch menu. We'll see if I make it and can compare experiences. The waiter would have left a sour taste in my mouth too! Looks like a beautiful resort though. I wish we had more time to check out the others but I know that won't happen!

Sorry dinner wasn't great. I had circled Tchoup Chop as a place to try and get to although I was more attracted to the lunch menu. We'll see if I make it and can compare experiences. The waiter would have left a sour taste in my mouth too! Looks like a beautiful resort though. I wish we had more time to check out the others but I know that won't happen!

I hope you have a much better experience than we did. Looks forward to comparing notes! :thumbsup2

Road to Los Angeles 09 October 2013

Wake Up! It's East to West Time

Day 27 of this 28 vacay. Our bags were packed and we checked out early. We were up and about by 6.30 am. Today, we were heading back to the West Coast and feeling a little melancholy.

When planning for this leg of the trip, DH and I talked about the benefits of catching an early flight back to LA or perhaps grabbing a bit more park time. In the end, we decided that the early flight would allow us the better part of the day to spend in Los Angeles. Afterall, heading from Orlando to LA meant we were gaining back 3 hours. Besides, aside from the early morning wake up time, it was less of a rush this way.

So, we headed to MCO for the early American Airline flight out.

It was a pretty uneventful flight and we got into LA at the appointed time. Plenty of time to pick up our hire car.

About the only thing we had to deal with was that Hertz failed us again. Actually, whether Hertz failed us or not depends on whether you agree with DH's point of view.

Or mine.

Yes, it is a lovely yellow cabriolet, isn't it? But did you spot my issue with it?

This two-door beauty was something that got DH all excited. He figured all 3 of us would fit, plus the 2 mid-sized bags and 3 carry-on pieces.

Nope. Head on into that office and get us something imminently more sensible, thanks.

For the record, I did let him try putting the bags in the car. They did fit; if you used both the back seat and front seat space. But there was obviously no room in the car for DS or I.
For a split second, I really thought DH was going to pick the car.

(Continued in Next Post)

It's another Loews - Hollywood Hotel

I'd decided to stay in Central Touristville in LA. Our hotel was another in the Loews chain - the Hollywood Hotel. Located at Hollywood and Highland, it's within spitting distance of all the tourist attractions in that Hollywood area.

The decision had been closer than you think. Turns out that the hotel was undergoing a renovation and I wasn't sure that I wanted to be around construction dust and noise. In the end, we scored a great deal on the room and we figured that it would only going to be one night anyway so we went with it.

We were lucky - our room was one of the newly refurbished rooms.

There really was a lot of room space in here.

And it was all shiny and sparkly in the bathroom as well.

About the only other area of the hotel that I got a shot of was the pool later that night.

For the one night, it worked out great for us. The room was comfortable and clean; and the location couldn't be beat if you were seeking to be close to the touristy attractions. And it was entertaining as well....

(Continued in Next Post)

Billboard Awards - Telemundo Style

Whilst we were in Orlando, I received an email from one of the Customer Managers of the Loews Hollywood Hotel. The email did not seem to come from an automatic generated mail box and seemed to have come from a real person at the other end of the box. At the time, I was a little bemused to receive the personal email advising me that the hotel had received my request for a quiet room and that the request would be honoured.

As I was Livin' the Mouse Dream at that time, I didn't think anymore of the email but it had been an odd email to have received at that time.

You may have noticed that there was a distinct lack of pictures of the hotel foyer and entryway in the previous post. So unlike me, isn't it?

That's because when we drove up, there was very tight security and heaps of men in black all round. I even had to dig up my hotel reservation documentation before we were allowed to drive in. In fact, from the hotel bellhops to the people working at check-in, everyone was all goo-goo and gah-gah and gushing.

Ever the observant one, I noticed the reason immediately. Afterall, there were all sorts of strange get-ups, cowboy hats and sequins to boot to cue me in. Definite glitzy sequins....and red carpet.

It all completely made sense as to why I would have gotten a personal email from the Guest Relations Manager then. Our stay coincided with the Mexican Billboard awards, which were being held next door at the Dolby Theatre, and she was writing to me to advise that the hotel was going to be busier than normal and we had been allocated a quiet room. The email hadn't mentioned the event at all and as we don't really watch Telemundo, I didn't quite put 2 and 2 together.

The hotel lobby had been a zoo. There were tons of people around and given how some of the hotel staff had behaved, I'm guessing that we had been in the midst of absolute superstars. Seems like most of them were staying at the hotel and if the lobby was any indication, it was going to be a high fashion affair. I was amused by the hats.

And the limo's. That car line-up was never ending!

Pity it was all wasted on us. Telemundo? Not something I watch much less listen to! In fact, on the way down from our room, we got in the lift with a group of people and one of them was wearing a hat. In that 10 second lift-drop, the one with the hat apologised to us for the chaos in the hotel. We assured him that it was fine by us and that we had no idea who anyone was. The rest of the group took a collective gasp as the man gave us a look. We had to quickly explain that as we were from the land down under, it wasn't any disrespect or anything. Oh! He said, Then you're forgiven.

We did ask if he was associated with the Billboard Awards....turns out he was the Producer of the show. D’oh!

Did I mention that there were lots of hats? And rhinestones? And sequins?

And cleavage? The women were all dressed in Awards nights fashion.

If anyone has any idea who these people are, please let me know.

We stayed to watch the circus for about 15 minutes. I'd always wondered what a red carpet affair would look like. Now I know. It was an entertaining time at the hotel so far!

(Continued in Next Post)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter