Anyone hang clothes or towels on a clothesline?

footballmouse

DIS Veteran
I don't have a clothesline so I just put towels and sheets over my deck railings. Where do they even sell the poles that I would need to put one up? WalMart, maybe?

My HOA prohibits clotheslines but we can use those square folding umbrella types. I often hang sheets and towels on them in nice weather.

As for buying poles to hang a regular clothesline, a fencing contractor may be your best bet. There are “clothes pole caps” with 4 hooks around the perimeter that fit on top of a 2” diameter chain link fence pole.

My mother hung her clothesline between two trees.

https://kilianhardware.com/clpoacend.html

You can probably find the poles at Home Depot or Lowes. They have a small selection of fencing material. Then buy the caps online.

8 foot poles buried minimum 1 1/2 feet into the ground should be sufficient. For fencing the standard is 2 feet deep.

Last edited:

I don't use the dryer for my clothes. I have no clothes line, so I lay my clothes out in the house.

Our HOA also forbids clothes lines (I'm not sure if they allow exceptions for non-permanent ones or not, but I've never seen anyone use them.)

I have a line hung in by basement for "hang to dry" items. Even if we were allowed to have clothes lines, I doubt I'd use one much. I think my husband is allergic to anything that grows, so pollen would make outdoor drying a no-go.

When I lived abroad, we used drying racks that can hold a lot of clothes, and then be folded up. Perfect.

I use folding drying racks I picked up at IKEA. Very slim, adjust to many different positions including flat for drying sweaters and only $20. Great for college kids, too.

I love my wash line it is a huge square one. Heavy duty green one with locking arms and you can raise it up so the longer items done hit the ground.. I believe it is made in Australia. Got it at a hardware store . Came in 2 sizes.

I hang everything out too. The underwear goes on the inside line with shirts etc . Covering them...lol Only thing I don’t hang out is the towels. Don’t like crispy towels.

Lowes or Home Depot for posts. You can use regular steel posts or wooden, but you have to dig them down quite deep so they hold the weight of clothes. I happen to have 2 huge trees just the right space apart , and I have my clothesline wrapped securely around them and tightened. I hang shirts and sheets on the line,,do not care for the way jeans or towels dry on them, they get too stiff, even when using fabric softener. I am holding off putting anything out there now, until the cicada's are done, lol!

I have a drying rack in the main bathroom that I can either lay items flat or use hangers on, and it folds flat when not in use. I have a lot of shirts that I hang to dry, but everything else goes in the dryer. Our HOA doesn’t allow any type of outdoor drying.

I have a collapsable drying rack in the bathroom. I bought mine at “Restoration Hardware back in the day but you can also find them at Target’s, IKEA, and Bed, Bath and Beyond assuming the last one is still in business.

When I lived abroad, we used drying racks that can hold a lot of clothes, and then be folded up. Perfect.

I've got a few folding racks that I can place all around the porch - depending on the sun & the breeze - but I mainly use them in the winter for heavy/wet bibs & jackets and place the rack near the fireplace. I do have a line on one side of my porch that is perfect for air drying blankets/sheets and the dog towels- which makes up about 90% of the items I line dry!

We live in an old Italian neighborhood where every house has a permanent pole fixed in concrete. My house doesn’t currently have the line connected but it’s been something I’ve been wanting. The only issue is that we aren’t sure if the pole would hold a ladder that we need to lean against it to put a line up.
All that to say, yes I hang dry clothes lol

We have one of these mounted to the wall in the laundry room. We live in the woods and there's way too much pollen to dry anything outdoors.

galvanized-laundry-organization-system-c.jpg

We do, all the time (ironically, it's my allergic-to-every-pollen-in-the-universe DH who has a strong preference for line-dried linens; he claims that line-dried sheets help him sleep better.)

We have a detached garage, and the line runs between the house and garage, anchored on the outside wall corners. For this reason it's hung quite high, about 7.5 feet off the ground, so (being short) I always have to throw over the first thing I hang, so that the weight will pull it down to within arms-reach.

For the time being, the deck railings work but one of my sheets blew off the other day and was laying in the grass >:( . I know what some of you mean about the towels not being fluffy when hanging them outside, doesn't really bother me. I think I'll attach a hook to one corner of my house and then place a pole on the other side of the deck. My boys just installed a wooden privacy fence in our yard so they'll be able to set the post correctly. That will probably be my kid's project around the yard next month, they'll be a little surprised :oops::laundy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter