anyone NOT have airline tickets for June?

jacksonsmom

<font color=blue>Can you guess who I am a mom for?
I am 'patiently' :rolleyes: holding out for good airfare, from Minneapolis to Orlando. The lowest I have found for our travel dates is around $250-$262.

I really think I can do better then that! I don't know, is that a good price? We don't have SouthWest :( We are pretty much stuck with big major airlines :mad:

When should I just 'bite the bullet' & buy the tickets? Should I wait for them to go down anymore?
Is anyone out there that still doesn't have their plane tickets for June????

We are going May31-June 14 from Des Moines. We don't have Southwest either. The rates are currently around $245 from here.
I'm going to wait for awhile. Last year we went for $198.00.
Bob

We don't have our tickets for our MAY trip yet and not for our JULY trip. I'm sick of the airlines whinning about no one wants to fly or folks are afraid to fly. Give me a decent fare and I'll fly. The highest price I paid last year to fly out of 6 trips to WDW was $148. The lowest I can find right now for our dates is $240. So to the airlines "give us a break and give us a Spring fare".

jacksonsmom,
We're leaving for Orlando on June 29th and still don't have tickets. For the last 3 years, I've booked our plane tickets at the end of March/early April and have paid an average of $165 a person. So far, tickets out of NYC are over $200 for early departure/late return, and I'm going to wait a little longer. I check the airline sites everyday, more than once a day. I really think the prices will go down, but I know I know I'm taking a big chance.

I too am waiting for June 6-8. A weekend I know, but still the cheapest is $272 and that's with a stop. For that much I might as werll pay the $292 for fly non-stop on NWA.

Being in MSP...well to use a blunt term...sucks. We have no major competition. NWA is the only one flying non-stop for my dates so of course they can get away with charging an arm and a leg.

But even flying on the cheap days, not even Delta is flying non-stop from here. If Alaska Airlines can fly non stop from SEA to MCO, why can't some other airline (besides Sun Country) get in here and fly non-stop. I can't believe that even if they started out conservative that those flights wouldn't be full if the made the price competitive.

Luckily I have some time and that while I really want to go this weekend - DH's B-day and Star Wars weekends - we can still go in November. But this is darn frustrating!

I gave up and booked flights on Northwest From Des Moines today for $236.50. They just seem to keep going up (American was $364).
Bob

The airlines have instituted a $10 per trip (I think it is each way) charge for high fuel. So automatically airfare is probably up $20 over last year.

Secondly, a lot of the airlines are continuing to cut back flights and use smaller planes. If they can make more money doing that and charging you $250 they will. I hate to point this out, but those wonderfully cheap airfares are actually money losers for the airlines and they are trying to break themselves of the habit of having them. I don't know if they will succeed in keeping airfares up, but that is their goal.

I have fare watcher on Travelocity for my airfare and it has not budged much lately. And I would estimate it is a good $30 to $40 higher than last year.

I too have my fare watchers set and my fare is $100 more than last year. Granted I expect to pay more, but when folks can fly out of NY cheaper than we can fly out of Wash., then that's pretty sad. I'll continue to wait, but I'm not the minority here, lots of folks I know now are starting to drive down, something my husband won't do. And as I watch the flight seating for the flights I want to be on, they continue to be pretty much empty, so tells me, lots of folks are either not going to fly or will cancel their trips. I can't believe the airlines would rather fly with a half filled plane, then offer a decent fare.

I was waiting... until today. I have been watching for over 3 weeks now since we decided go to Florida in June and the lowest any airline was at in my market was 185.00 However that was out of Midway and the depature times were late in the evening or very very early in the morning... I am going down with my father this time and he already bought his tickets on American. The same flight he bought 2 weeks ago was consistently at 256 up to 500 whenever I checked. Today it dropped to around 220 so I decided just to go for it. We are departing and returning on weekend days (which we hadn't usually done in the past) and that usually costs more anyway.. Plus I figured I would pay the little extra to be on the same plane as my dad going down, and save on the limo cost to the airport. This particular flight only had about 10 seats left in all of coach anyway, so I took the jump.. This is the most I can remember paying in years, but as another poster has mentioned fuel costs are up adding probably 20.00 to each ticket price. That and the airlines can't really afford to sell these dirt cheap seats anymore since business travellers fly less and less.

I have heard that the airlines will be cancelling 1/2 empty flights and combining them this summer as opposed to flying them unless they need to position the airplane. Only time will tell. If the prices go down, I will just see if I can get a voucher. At least that was my logic... Although now with less than 7 seats left on this particular flight I doubt that they will go down for this flight segment. A few years back 200.00 R/T was considered good. Thats whay I keep telling myself anyway... ;) Good luck to you all.

Last year we paid $196 on Delta. This year the price was $211 when I finally booked it in January. I had been watching since October. I got nervous when the rate jumped to $260 for the same flights. When it finally fell back to $211 (after incremental drops I might add), I booked. The same flights have not returned to that price either--they are consistently upper $200s and low $300s. Breathing a sigh of relief that I jumped. . .if they drop--I'll ask for a voucher, but I'm not holding my breath.

Originally posted by Aisling
jacksonsmom,
We're leaving for Orlando on June 29th and still don't have tickets. For the last 3 years, I've booked our plane tickets at the end of March/early April and have paid an average of $165 a person. So far, tickets out of NYC are over $200 for early departure/late return, and I'm going to wait a little longer. I check the airline sites everyday, more than once a day. I really think the prices will go down, but I know I know I'm taking a big chance.

We are in the same boat

DS and I leave on the 29. I think the reason I can't get a lower rate is because I want to return on July 6.

Hope Delta's new budget airline ( is it called Song:confused: ) will have some good rates when they start booking.

disneyjunkie,

I'm also in Brooklyn, leaving on June 29th, returning on July 5th, and without plane tickets! I have a feeling prices are going to go down, but I just hope I'm not waiting too long. I'm waiting to see what happens with Song. I think I was told to check the Song site at midnight of March 31/April1 and there is a rumor that prices will be very low. I got this off a travel site, so who knows. Sometimes I ask myself why bother to try to save a few dollars, just book and be done with it, but I think I'm obsessed now with finding that perfect fare with the perfect time on the perfect airline LOL.

We just bought ours (finally) ATA has a sale going on if you leave by June 12. Our tickets were $175 each after tax.

I was in the same situation......So unsure about what would happen with the fares.

So, on Monday, I was given a fare of $152 by Hotwire for MKE - MCO. I was hesitant to purchase from them, but I couldn't find any other flights less than $190, so, I took the plunge and purchased the tickets.

I'm glad I purchased them because fares out of MKE haven't gone down, I got great flights and I can now make all of my plans final.

Guess patience paid off....

Purchased RT air fare from MSP-MCO for $137.50 flying Delta!

Woohoo!!

Yesterday Delta out of NYC was $255, then $217, then $179! This morning it was back up to $285! The fares are going crazy!

And jetBlue out of NYC is also down for the first time in months. This is for late June.

I love watching these fares!

Still waiting here in Wash. DC. we haven't seen a decent fare in a long time. I actually canceled my Feb. trip to WDW because I couldn't get a decent fare. Hope I dont' have to cancel my May trip too.

Prices on Delta from Detroit through July 13 (?) just dropped to $113 r/t that's $136.50 with tax, etc.! I bought too soon and paid more than that! :( Hope it helps someone else in the Metro market. (My trip out of Toledo which at the time was lowest fare just cost me $300 more for the 5 of us--I'm consoling myself with the better times and smaller airport--bwaaaaahhhhh!)

Hey you Brooklynites! (writing from Boerum Hill here)

I think you're smart to wait. I think two months before is a good time for fares. I'd wouldn't pay over 170 for an Orlando ticket. We just went and paid 150 on Delta (purchased three weeks before! Don't recommend waiting that long.)

Don't have much to add, just wanted to say yo to you Brooklyn folks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter