Anyone renew their Sirius XM radio subscription lately?

Probably. I know you can stream Sirius on the phone app so no reason why you couldn't get that to play over car play. If you are just looking to stream music over your phone there are better (cheaper, free) options out there with better sound quality. Pandora, iHeart, Apple Music, or my favorite, Radio Garden, all better options. BUT, Sirius is satellite based so no need for a cell signal - that's the big benefit, and if you are streaming over your phone you aren't even using that.

I canceled a radio via the chat a few months ago. I just kept typing "Cancel!" and finally the bot/person gave up and canceled it.
That still restricts you to cancelling during their business hours. We tried during the w/e and it was a no-go. You should just be able to click a button on their website like you can when you sign up.

That still restricts you to cancelling during their business hours. We tried during the w/e and it was a no-go. You should just be able to click a button on their website like you can when you sign up.
I did the chat on a Saturday. But yes, they should make it easier.

I've actually found it more effective to talk to a person. When they answer the call I tell them that I want to cancel because the renewal price is way too high for my budget. Then I immediately tell them that if they can match or beat the current deal that I have (the $5/month for 12 months), then I'll renew. If not, please cancel it. That's all it takes. I'm usually finished with the negotiation portion of the call within 1 minute. Then it takes a few minutes to confirm the payment information. I did use the Chat feature when I cancelled the service in my old car back in January. I just started the conversation by saying that the car wasn't being used anymore (which was a bit of a lie but I knew if they were aware that someone would be using the car daily, they'd continue to try and sell me a subscription) -- it would be a spare car so I did not want any service on it. They made one offer--telling me I could keep the $5/month subscription and just use the streaming services. I said I already had the streaming service and did not want anything on this car and if it was going to so difficult to cancel on this car, I'd also like to cancel our other 2 cars and we'd just use Spotify. That's all it took. Subscription cancelled on that car.
Yes, I agree it normally takes a few minutes by phone, people make mountains out of ant hills (this is even smaller than a mole hill) LOL It doesn't surprise me when I hear people are paying full price for XM, heck I have not paid rack rate (except when I did FD) at a Disney resort in 19 years and I still see people on DIS paying it o_O

I just concluded a renewal with the chat Bot. Took an hour, and I’m exhausted. Ultimately settled on the plan that keeps the rates the same in future years (not going to lie, I am very skeptical of this, because It will only be raised if there is an overall increase).

I’m pretty certain they fabricated a $14.56 credit (trust me, we did not have a credit on the account). This credit allowed them to give me the exact same annual rate we paid last year.

the rate they gave me was $84.57/year, plus $18.10 for royalties and then taxes.

At the end of the day, I’m glad this is done, and moving forward, I will continue to monitor the rates, just like I do now.

I think I will seriously consider cancelling the service for my vehicle next March. I currently am a remote worker, and rarely use it anyway.

I just concluded a renewal with the chat Bot. Took an hour, and I’m exhausted. Ultimately settled on the plan that keeps the rates the same in future years (not going to lie, I am very skeptical of this, because It will only be raised if there is an overall increase).

I’m pretty certain they fabricated a $14.56 credit (trust me, we did not have a credit on the account). This credit allowed them to give me the exact same annual rate we paid last year.

the rate they gave me was $84.57/year, plus $18.10 for royalties and then taxes.

At the end of the day, I’m glad this is done, and moving forward, I will continue to monitor the rates, just like I do now.

I think I will seriously consider cancelling the service for my vehicle next March. I currently am a remote worker, and rarely use it anyway.
That's crazy!!! I would have quit the chat and called them if I didn't have the deal I wanted within about 5-10 minutes. Even 10+ years ago my negotiation phone calls weren't more than 10-15 minutes long and that was *before* I knew how to work the system and get what I wanted. I'm glad you were able to get the ongoing deal so that you don't have to go through that again. I did the same thing on my husband's car because after needing to renegotiate every 3-6 months for the last 14 years and sometimes for 2 cars, I'm tired of it. I'm not sure how long we'll keep that ongoing deal, but for now I was willing to take it just to have a break.

That's crazy!!! I would have quit the chat and called them if I didn't have the deal I wanted within about 5-10 minutes. Even 10+ years ago my negotiation phone calls weren't more than 10-15 minutes long and that was *before* I knew how to work the system and get what I wanted. I'm glad you were able to get the ongoing deal so that you don't have to go through that again. I did the same thing on my husband's car because after needing to renegotiate every 3-6 months for the last 14 years and sometimes for 2 cars, I'm tired of it. I'm not sure how long we'll keep that ongoing deal, but for now I was willing to take it just to have a break.
I agree it was a crazy amount of time. i just don‘t have the energy or patience to deal with talking to a real person after I have worked, handled dinner and dishes etc, so in some regards, the Bot was the better alternative. That is the only weekend option.

Next time, start with saying you want to cancel rather than renew.

I agree. That's always my opening line even if I have no intention of cancelling. Much more efficient than saying you want to know what offers are available for renewals.

Totally did that. Even in the middle of this, indicated I would need to go, and my spouse and I would need to discuss the “lowest” offer they gave me, which at that point was a 15% increase, mentioning we would then make the buy vs cancel decision.

Truth be told…my husband would be ticked off at me if Sirius got cancelled in his car.

I just used the chatbot for my annual "cancel" discussion. I was offered $5.99/month for 12 months for the Music and Entertainment plan. From a quick search, it looks like I could have got it down to $5, but my AMEX Platinum gives me an entertainment credit anyway, so I didn't bother haggling it down to save $12.

I told the agent I wanted to cancel as I use Spotify way more (which is the truth).

This is for the folks that wonder about people paying full price…. I am visiting my parents and they had a blow up over the cost of Sirius. I chimed in and asked how much they were paying. $31/month!!! I was like not anymore!!! They had my mother signed up for the EVERYTHING and she listens to literally ONE channel (shout out to the 50’s!). I don’t think Sirius was very happy when I wouldn’t settle for anything less than $6/month (which I eventually got for them). Tomorrow I am going to work on their $270 cable bill.

Keep us posted.
where do they live ?
ATT has a senior plan for only 2 cellphone lines
Are they AARP members?
I think it is offered with the AARP membership.

This is for the folks that wonder about people paying full price…. I am visiting my parents and they had a blow up over the cost of Sirius. I chimed in and asked how much they were paying. $31/month!!! I was like not anymore!!! They had my mother signed up for the EVERYTHING and she listens to literally ONE channel (shout out to the 50’s!). I don’t think Sirius was very happy when I wouldn’t settle for anything less than $6/month (which I eventually got for them). Tomorrow I am going to work on their $270 cable bill.

Don’t be too hard on your parents. I read people actually got lower offers if they said they were gonna cancel about 5 yeas ago on the Dis. Before then, I paid full price on auto renewal. I had no clue this was a thing.

Today I got a "please come back" email from Sirius offering a $3.99/month (plus fees and tax) for 1 year deal to reactivate on a car that my daughter is using (and she has no interest in Sirius). That is the lowest rate I've ever been offered.

We got our email last week that our service would be going from $6.06 per month to over $23 per month.
I did the chat and got it down to $7.27 per month.
I would have cancelled altogether and waited for the "comeback" offers but we have a long road trip next month half way through the period of when the service would end.

Every time I get a new car I get 6 months
I hard use it…
About a month after it expires I get a call and or a card in the mail offering service for 5 bucks a month for 6 month… if I take it I let it expire and they do the same thing….

At one point a dealer had me on promo for 6 years ….. still didn’t hardly use it

I pay $4.99 per month for one year per radio. I have 4 radios on my account. I call every 12 months to renew. When I called last month they offered me $6.99 per month per radio FOREVER, no need to call every year. I told them no thank you, I'll take the $4.99 and I'll talk to you in a year. 🙂

I pay $4.99 per month for one year per radio. I have 4 radios on my account. I call every 12 months to renew. When I called last month they offered me $6.99 per month per radio FOREVER, no need to call every year. I told them no thank you, I'll take the $4.99 and I'll talk to you in a year. 🙂
I used to do the same thing. Except the last couple years I forgot to mark my calendar and paid full price for a couple months. I'm paying the extra now just so I don't have to remember and go through the hassle of negotiating every year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter